Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jim Alfredson's Dirty Fingers - "Good Juice"

Steve Force

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoa! Come home after a rough day and this is the first thing I come across while perusing the old forum. Way nice.

Jimmy, you da man! :thu:

+1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thanks for posting that, Steve!

I picked up the whole Jim Alfredson collection earlier this year. Forty years ago I had some Meters and Booker T tapes I'd listen to almost exclusively for inspiration on the way to play somewhere. For the last six months or so, it's been Jim keeping it funky and greasy for me.

--wmp

Not to take away from the great Jim jamming on the Hammond as he do, but what really excited me was how the engineer got that great sound of the horns.

Maybe this is not a welcome comparison, but it really sends me back to a mid-1960s Blue Note record. I have no idea how they got that tone captured -- I'm sure it doesn't hurt that everyone was playing great -- but just the sound is the real deal.

Can't wait to pick up the album.

Not to take away from the great Jim jamming on the Hammond as he do, but what really excited me was how the engineer got that great sound of the horns.

Maybe this is not a welcome comparison, but it really sends me back to a mid-1960s Blue Note record. I have no idea how they got that tone captured -- I'm sure it doesn't hurt that everyone was playing great -- but just the sound is the real deal.

Can't wait to pick up the album.

I'm flattered. That's exactly what I was going for. The engineer is my good friend Glenn Brown. On the trumpet is a Coles 4038 ribbon mic. On the sax is a AEA R84 ribbon and a Neumann U67 but we did not use the Neumann. Both mics are going through Glenn's Neve 8068 console.

I've been working on the mixes myself. I rolled off just a bit of top-end on the trumpet (even with a ribbon it was pretty bright) and used some gentle compression (FabFilter plug-in) as well as the new tape simulation plug-in from u-he called Satin.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. I'm really exicted about this release. Lots of great moments were captured.

Listened once on laptop speakers... Waiting to hear the full-frontal bass. Om nom nom. :snax:

I first heard it through my studio monitors and the subwoofer was working!! Dig it! My only thought was if Jim was wearing clean white socks...

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I don't know who this Jim Albertson guy is, but these are great tunes and I agree the overall production and sound really nails the 60's soul jazz vibe. The head on "good juice" is really catchy and infectious.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived