Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name a popular song you just can't understand why it's so loved

stepay

For me, just about anything by

Yes, ELP, Dream Theater,Rush,Dave Matthews, Phish...

I guess I do kind of get what people appreciate about some of their instrumental chops, but I can't stand listening to them.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's just too much choice for 'succesful' horrible songs. To me, the award covering the entire (20th) century goes to "Feelings", a song which sounds so corny and syrupy to my ears, it makes me physically sick.

Actually, many sentimental songs from the '50s and '60s have the same effect on me. It's like those songwriters were deliberately trying to ignore the many cultural evolutions which were happening around the world in those years, and use an eccess of sugar to fool themselves, and their listeners, into believing that the 'old world' was still in its place, and everything would have continued as always.

That said, I tend to believe that "Barbie Girl" qualifies among the 5 or 6 silliest songs in pop history. :D

Proud to say I've never played Feelings. I'm not that picky, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

Another tune that deserves dishonorable mention is Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman". About 10 years ago, I encouraged and produced a cover of this by a speed death metal band I couldn't stand. Not that there are any I can stand. This was probably the only tune in that style I ever ever enjoyed.

I am woman, hear me roar. ARRRRAGGGGHHHHH. (spit blood)

Wish I still had a copy.

:)

--wmp

I can't begin to respond this thread. There are so many artistically vacant songs that have garnered public acceptance, I wouldn't know where to begin...
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Ok, my last response was a cop out... :)

Here are a few that come to mind from various decades:

60's - "When a Man Loves a Woman", "Loui Loui"

70's - "It's a Heartache", "Hot Child in the City"

80's - "We Built this City", "Lady in Red"

> 1990 - Everything that got airplay on pop radio. :)

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Hey. I like Dust in the Wind. I used to play it in a band back in the 80's. I like playing that violin solo part.

Two more of my most disliked songs: Styx - Mr. Roboto and Too Much Time on My Hands.

I do like some Styx songs though. Come Sail Away is a good one and I sort of like Madame Blue.

On U2, what impresses me is how good they were until "The Joshua Tree" and how awful they became after that. Well, perhaps it was the classic mistake of paying too much attention to what producers are saying (same thing with Whitesnake, by the way).

Robert Plant's voice is very special, and I do love many Zep songs to death, but admit his voice sounds annoying on some songs.

My vote here goes to most anything by REM, with honorable mention to "Shiny Happy People". If I ever meet these guys, I'll shoot them at once...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

"Happy Birthday". What a piece of crap. Whoever wrote this, if they actually gave a damn about someone's birthday, maybe they could have spent more than 10 seconds on some lyrics? I suppose writing adding a clever bridge would be WAY too much to ask.

Imagine if you just wrote "Happy Birthday" and you called a fellow musician and played it for them? They would say, "OK, that's the chorus, right? Catchy. What, that's it? Where is the rest of it?"

;)

Well, admittedly it needs a chorus.

Children have a time-honored tradition of writing alternate lyrics such as:

Happy birthday to you

You live in a zoo

You look like a monkey

And smell like one too

And others equally enlightening. But to 8 and 9 year olds it qualifies as witty, I guess.

I hope it doesn't go over you guys' heads. (Yes, I'm just kidding!)

As for my birthday, I don't care if they sing to me or not, but I like the meals we have at work for birthdays, and the occasional gift. I even accept them the other 364 1/4 days a year.... hint, hint....

• 11 months later...
For me it is...

Bob Seger's Turn The Page.

I love Bob Seger, but I absolutely hate that song, and I don't understand at all why so many people like it, and it is in fact often mentioned as his best song.

People like Turn The Page because:

(1) Music has an open, airy feel that commands emotional attention.

(2) The lyric seems heartfelt and honest.

(3) It's a more soulful song than his other hits. You feel his feelings as he sings it. That's not so with 'Rock and Roll Never Forgets", et al.

(4) Turn The Page highlights the full dynamic range of his voice, from soft and smooth to roaring and raspy.

I agree with the negative comments on Old Time Rock And Roll. It's an anthem for people who are too stubborn to have an open mind.

"Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen is about the most boring song ever written.

Agreed. Boring and devoid of any meaning. Yes, Bruce, New Jersey is part of the USA. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

i think you have to try to realize what bob's talking about to dig his songs...
I think you have to try to realize that the amount of damage I have inflicted by punching myself in the balls because of the "music" of Bob Dylan is quite astounding. That I can walk is nothing less than a miracle. Thanks Bob...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm a big Skynyrd fan, but I can't stand Gimme Three Steps either. Same with What's Your Name. I have to disagree with Free Bird, that's the song that really got me into music, although I didn't grow up in the 70's, so I didn't hear it getting played every other second.

I used to hate Skynyrd (and especially Freebird), but the older I get the more I appreciate their music. Today, the only Skynyrd hit I don't like is "That Smell." What's Your Name is fun in a perverted roadie sort of way, and Gimme Three Steps seems to find joy in an ironic and dangerous situation that any of us could stumble into. - Note: Well, maybe not you keyboard players. :P - I like G3S's pointlessly overplayed bass line, too. It's so tacky, it's good.

Yeah, Candle in the Wind is another puzzling one, not a terribly interesting song.

It was a decent song about Marilyn. Singing in at Diana's funeral was an act of unprecedented tastelessness.

I've tried to get into Bruce Springsteen, but could never do it. I just don't get why he's so big.

Springsteen is like hockey - it plays better live. I've never been a big fan, but I've come to appreciate some of his stuff over the years. "For You" is adventurous in a recklessly fun way. "Walk Like A Man" is one of my favorite songs ever; I feel like I could cry every time I listen to it.

Oh yeah, and I'll get shot for this, but I've never been into Bob Dylan. I love Like a Rolling Stone, but that's pretty much it. Every year, I make an effort to try to "get" him, but it fails pretty quickly. I understand intellectually why he was important, but I just can't get my heart into it. It's like listening to a singing mule.

Don't confuse the parodies with the real thing. I saw Dylan live this year, and his voice was surprisingly good. Plus, he's written a few good songs over the years.

I don't understand the appeal of...

"American Woman, stay away from me!"

Does this song have a point? Is he gay? Does he have the clap? Is he an anti-American misogynist?

I have never "gotten" this song.

For me, just about anything by

Yes, ELP, Dream Theater,Rush,Dave Matthews, Phish...

I agree except for Yes and Rush, two of my favorite bands ever. "Fragile" is one of the 100 best rock albums ever, and Rush up through Moving Pictures was legendary. But I understand why people wouldn't like them. Self-indulgent playing, piercing vocals, cocky arrangements. But somehow for Rush and Yes, it actually works (sometimes).

Groups/Artists that I don't get:

Led Zeppelin - Screechy, annoying performances of badly written songs. Should Zep be considered "punk rock?"

Genesis - Snooze! They should have retired when Gabriel left. (Don't hate me, keyboard guys.)

The Band - I'm sure that they're all talented musicians, but I never connected with their music.

Loverboy - Worst. Group. Ever.

Radiohead - Okay, so maybe Loverboy wasn't the worst group ever.

Queen - He had a great voice, but...

The Doors - Doors, you never lit my fire.

Janis Joplin - The poor thing sang with a lot of passion, but she sounded like a asthmatic banshee gargling drain cleaner while passing the intestinal remnants of a weekend in Tijuana.

Most all those songs mentioned qualify, with special dishonors for "Feelings" and "I Am Woman" - the equivalent of a bad horror movie for me. Another runner -up "Color My World."

But going back, the one tune I never understood why it was so popular for so many years (nothing against Errol Garner now) was "Misty." Even a lot of rock bands resorted to it as their one ballad of the night. Not that it was bad - it was an ok tune, but it became like the night club national anthem.

Man, I've never seen such a subjective topic...

What's strange to me is how much I agree with some, and disagree with others - what's particularly telling is people who submitted multiple songs/artists, I heartily agree with some and equally vehemently disagree with the next - go figure!

I also have the feeling that most of the posters who hate some of the legendary performers of the 60s & 70s are under 50. :)

Scott

Oh, where to start?

Ok, Oasis - self deluded nasally whining Mancs, espescially Noel who thinks he's the reincarnation of John Lennon.

Frisky Bear for Lady in Red - Bl**dy awful.

Any "Diva" that sings 36 notes when one would do.

Any pretentious Goth bands - how can you possibly be so depressed with all that money you're making?

"Boy" & "Girl" bands that don't play their own instruments. They're not a band, they're a Karaoke dance act.

Oh, and "celebrities" who think it would be cool to release a record.

I'll sign off now - Mr. Grumpy

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

I've always been amazed at the universal popularity of Mustang Sally. Not that there's anything wrong with the tune -- it's a nice, straight-forward blues progression, with some cool history behind it (Aretha supposedly changed the lyrics of a song called Mustang Mama to Mustang Sally).

But -- it's similar to 1,000 other nice, straight-forward blues standards. Why do people go nuts over that one?

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Archived