Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 07: New Rhodes confirmed (apparently)

Cliffk

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, Corea's Elektric Band. Six CDs. Also from his bio: He played on over 50 GRP records alone including records by Lee Ritenour, Dave Grusin, David Benoit, Don Grusin, Dave Weckl, John Patitucci, GRP All-Star Big Band and The Rippingtons. Eric juggled being a member of Lee Ritenour's band, David Benoit's band, Chick's Elektric band and his own band.

Busch.

Personally, I could see the look of terror on his face, and could hear that he was trying to do things outside his comfort zone, in a very uneasy way, in an attempt to try to 'live up' to what Lorber and Duke had played.

I've just watched it a couple of times, and I guess I'm just not seeing what you guys are seeing. I don't see any 'look of terror' on David Benoit's face, and I thought they all acquitted themselves very well, with George Duke putting in a strong performance. Sure glad it wasn't me up there following George.

On thing I noticed, that I think no one has mentioned so far, was the altered chord changes they were using. Instead of 4 bars of Dm7, they played 2 bars of Dm7, and 2 bars of Dbmaj7 - cool!

forget about Corea and Jarrett on that tune.

I think either of them could kill it.

But Keith Jarrett would seriously rather commit suicide than solo on a Rhodes over a funk jam. He wouldn't, but it doesn't mean he couldn't.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Okay guys I have to admit I hadn't watched the entire video until now. Benoit sounded great. He doesn't swing as hard as G. Duke but he did lay down some hip shit. I was very suprised. I liked him better than Lorber actually.

And shame on anyone doubting whether Herbie could surpass G. Duke's solo. Come on!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I think its as simple as this.. George Duke is the only player who didn't stop playing a rhodes in all this time. I'm sure that perhaps Jeff Lorber might have the odd play on one now and again.. but for George its been an integral part of his arsenal as much as piano is.

Has anyone ever stopped playing a rhodes and gone back to it after some considerable time? The damn thing feels lumpen...

My hands have only now adjusted to the rhodes after a few months of playing. Now the rhodes action seems okay to me.

About Herbie, I feel he is quite hit and miss nowadays.. his acoustic piano playing is great but he does do some odd things on the Korg OASYS (e.g. cheesy brass, scat vocals, pitch bending clav) that doesn't always sound great to me.

I think if George and Herbie had been playing they'd have completely gone nuts playing outside...

David Benoit is a great player.. I used to be a big fan of his really old stuff... like "Love is a Like a Samba" which I think is from 1978/79... that was a big tune for the soul funk dancers...

George has THE TOUCH on a Rhodes. He seems to feel when it needs to bark better than most people. Richard Tee was the same way, as is Bob James.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Benoit did just fine..

The PROBLEM IN THE VIDEO was that Benoit was suppossed to be the 2nd solo, and George the 3rd, so it would have seemed more natural, but Benoit started his solo very very slowly(as to build). George may have misunderstood his intent, so he just took over.. I guess it seemed to George that he wasn't soloing, so he jumped in.

TROLL . . . ish.

I like Benoit's and Lorber's playing a lot on their own material, their solos on Cantalope Island were decent. But their solos were the cliche blues/pentatonic/funky licks they play strung together. George Duke played a solo that realy had an arc to it, it developed into dramatic climaxes, it had patterns that mark a great modern jazz solo not just a string bluesy/pentatonic/funk that licks Lorber and Benoit displayed.

George Duke's Rhodes was a little louder in the mix, that is a part of why his sound was better.

Jeff Lorber has been playing a real Rhodes on most of his gigs for the past several years, he is not out of shape with a real Rhodes.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived