Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Are you cooking for Thanksgiving?

RABid

I know we have some cooks around here. Sunday night I cooked a large pack of chicken thighs in a crock pot for the broth. That went into the freezer and Thursday it will be the base for chicken and dumplings. I feel like the hardest part is done. Wednesday night I will make some coodies and brownies. I'm also doing roast beef and cornbread. My sister will do mashed potatoes, deviled eggs and sweet potato pie. My dad will make the dressing and others will make desserts. I would make beans, corn and carrots but it gets aggravating to watch those sit untouched as everyone eats dumplings and dressing.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not this year. This year we're eating at my daughter's house. Her husband is an advanced salmonier (sp?) plus he can really cook. Being in the business that he's in, all of his friends are fantastic chefs and it's just rubbed off, I guess. His presentation is a 5 star type thing. Casual elegance. Just the kind of guy you're glad to see your little girl with. I'm not sure what he's cookin' , but he could cook and serve me my shoe and it'd be delicious.

I was thinking I'd try cooking a turkey on my rotisserie. maybe next year. I just put in an Outdoor Kitchen grill in the back and man, is it nice. I'm like Tim " the tool man" Allen with the thing. I love to cook, as well.

I love cooking, so Thanksgiving is one holiday I look forward to.

I have all of my ingredients for brining the turkey. In fact, I should get the brine started tonight. I'm also making an Asian-inspired slaw, with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, and a wonderful sourdough bread dressing. We also have a nice cranberry sauce that is made from an orange and fresh cranberries.

My brine will consist of two quarts of veggie broth, two quarts water, two cups each salt and sugar, peppercorns, and whole coriander brought to a boil. Tomorrow night, I'll mix this with another gallon of ice-water, put it all and the turkey in a bucket, and down to the nice, cold basement for an overnight stay. Before baking, the cavity will get stuffed with some sage leaves, quartered oranges, and a couple cloves of garlic.

It should be tasty.

Darren Landrum

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

I love cooking, so Thanksgiving is one holiday I look forward to.

I have all of my ingredients for brining the turkey. In fact, I should get the brine started tonight. I'm also making an Asian-inspired slaw, with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, and a wonderful sourdough bread dressing. We also have a nice cranberry sauce that is made from an orange and fresh cranberries.

My brine will consist of two quarts of veggie broth, two quarts water, two cups each salt and sugar, peppercorns, and whole coriander brought to a boil. Tomorrow night, I'll mix this with another gallon of ice-water, put it all and the turkey in a bucket, and down to the nice, cold basement for an overnight stay. Before baking, the cavity will get stuffed with some sage leaves, quartered oranges, and a couple cloves of garlic.

It should be tasty.

My wife started brining the turkey after finding a recipe in Cooks Illustrated. I highly recommend brining and the recipe and I believe she also cooks it on a rack upside dowm. Her turkeys are juicy and tasty.

I am cooking as I do every year for thanksgiving. This year will be different though. My girlfriend doesn't like turkey so I will be making roast beast(beef) instead of turkey. Will still do most of the same things with some minor variations. Hope everyone's cooking is a huge success this year!

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I am the cook as well. I seldom have time to cook but I always reserve Thanksgiving as my show off day for cooking. Normally it means I'm preparing and cooking all week. But this time I have a small group for a change so I'm just sticking to basics. I'm starting the cooking tommorrow.

BTW - I've tried brining, not brining, and all the different ways of covering, uncovering. I'm not convinced they make that much difference. The only thing I haven't tried is deep frying.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

I'll be cooking a full-blown T-giving meal....all my children are ome for the holidays, so it's going to be a real nice time.

'Cuz I'm English, we have roast potatos, roast parsnips, bread pudding, and brussel sprouts. No mashed potato or candied yams in this house.

Hope y'all have a fine time with your loved ones.

Cheers,

:DTR

I LOVE cooking Thanksgiving. In fact, one of my wife's friends invited us for T-day but I can't think of not cooking, so we're going to the friend's house for Friday leftovers.

I make the same thing every year:

A salad with pears and pecans with an apple vinaigrette

Herb rubbed turkey. We buy a fresh Kosher turkey so brining isn't necessary. I use a "Simon and Garfunkel" rub all over the skin: parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...plus salt and pepper.

I make GREAT stuffing. Start with 2 loaves of fresh challah (egg bread), crusted removed, then cubed and toasted in the oven. Add sauteed shiitake, cremini, and porcini mushrooms, 2 cups of toasted hazelnuts, sauteed leeks, celery, and season with the some of the turkey rub.

The gravy made from is pan juices, vegetable broth, a few shots of good sherry, rosemary, and shiitakes.

I bake whole sweet potatoes and Granny Smith apples, then mash them together with maple syrup and nutmeg.

Some form of green veg. This year I'll do roasted brussel sprouts. Simply toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at 450. They end up crispy on the edges.

We buy a pumpkin pie from a farm market near my house. They bake all their pies in house. The place smells incredible during Thanksgiving week.

I'll open a bottle of riesling during the afternoon, usually Darting Durkheimer from Germany or Herman Weimer from NY State, then have David Bruce Pinot Noir with the meal.

Yeah, I love Thanksgiving.

I may prepare my family famous seafood salad and/or pasta salad.

We have gotten on the deep fried turkey kick. It is fine but I still prefer the oven bird. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Normally I'm the cook, but this year I've got to work, and the family dinner is at my sister-in-law's. So I just have to bake the Pumpkin Pies and my famous Sweet Potato Casserole.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I just did a pre-Thanksgiving dinner since everyone is going in different directions for the actual holiday.

I did the turkey on the grill - indirect heat, low and slow with a cajun rub and sauce injected into the breast.

For stuffing, I buy the stuff in a bag but throw in apples, nuts, and sausage.

Green bean cassarole (with the fried onion pieces) and 4 times the recommended amount of mashed potatoes.

For Thanksgiving, my father-in-law will be deep frying a couple of turkeys. Now THAT is a moist, flavorful, perfectly cooked turkey, let me tell you!

Oh! And I get to use my new probe thermometer for the first time! Hurray for accurate temperature control!

Those things are worth their weight in gold. I first used mine on a beef tenderloin last Christmas, and its amazing how small a window there actually is for just the right temperature; I'll never rely just on timing again.

Oh, and Stoo, got an extra place at the table? That sounds great!

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Since I have to work, my wife and I will have our own private celebration this week. Then I'll cook the turkey. We like having our own leftovers.

Tomorrow when I go by my sister-in-law's, I'll probably have a plate of dinner for the microwave, as everyone else would already have eaten.

I can't complain, though. I volunteered to work.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I prepare dinner for our family of 4 nearly every night. I love it. I come from a family of restaurant owners and good cooks, so it's in my blood.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Right about now we're in the middle of a Nor'easter. CLONK FOR STORY

http://images.ibsys.com/ral/images/weather/auto/nc_radar_120x90.jpg

My wife just called to say the power is out at our house. She was going to bake a couple of pies.

Bummer. :rolleyes:

I guess you know what any red-blooded man should do when he can't cook... DRINK. :thu:

And on a day like today, a fine one to behold is a White Russian; 1 shot vodka, 1 shot Kahlua, a little cream or milk or half & half.

http://www.travelandliving.co.uk/ontv/feb_2006/cocktail_kings/video/index/asset/9386010874218597_perfect-white-russian-helsi.jpg

Yum. :thu:

Who's in? :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My wife just called to say the power is out at our house. She was going to bake a couple of pies.
Well that's what woodstoves are for. :idea:

My grandmother cooked and heated her house with one until she was 89. She collected driftwood off the beach, brought it home and made bread, pies, and Thanksgiving turkeys.

Today was going to be wood hauling day, but the weather was too crappy . . . I have enough for tomorrow though :)

Cooking is a creative pursuit, same as music. Some people can't do it at all, some people are happy with their three chords, and some people really like to dive deep and test the limits of what's possible.

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Oh I see. Those that like complex music like to cook. Those that like only I IV V chords and no music theory don't like to cook :D

I wonder if all jazz musicians like to cook? :D

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

And on a day like today, a fine one to behold is a White Russian; 1 shot vodka, 1 shot Kahlua, a little cream or milk or half & half.

http://www.travelandliving.co.uk/ontv/feb_2006/cocktail_kings/video/index/asset/9386010874218597_perfect-white-russian-helsi.jpg

Yum. :thu:

Who's in? :P

http://images.43things.com/profile/75768s160.jpg

The Dude abides.

Oh I see. Those that like complex music like to cook. Those that like only I IV V chords and no music theory don't like to cook :D

Exactly! :D

Sure, you can play around in the kitchen, and maybe stumble onto something interesting, but if you don't understand why it works, you're not a real cook.

;):D

Darren Landrum

Exactly! :D

Sure, you can play around in the kitchen, and maybe stumble onto something interesting, but if you don't understand why it works, you're not a real cook.

;):D

So this is the test of true musicianship. This beats any test on theory:

Dave Horne -- can you cook? :D

An yes Linwood, REAL men can cook. :D

Archived