Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

rare bird Rhodes for $5 !!

JeffLearman

This rare-bird Rhodes is on ebay currently at $5. Of course, the bidding will go higher, but probably not very high.

Rhodes Student Model

http://i19.ebayimg.com/06/i/08/2c/55/04_3.JPG

In particular, note these tone bars:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/06/i/08/38/2b/81_3.JPG

I played a Rhodes once with those square tonebars (aircraft aluminum alloy, IIRC), and man it's a treat. These babies go cheap for the obvious reasons, but this one looks in pretty good shape.

Replacement parts generally aren't available.

It sounds a bit different from any of the classic Rhodes tones we know and love, but it's a hell of a sound anyway. (When I finished playing it the owner came up with his band and played the best rendition of Birdland I've ever heard, and this was the only keyboard. And yes, I've heard WR play it live. Just another "unsung heros" tale.)

If I owned a studio I'd grab this baby to stick in the corner.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a suitcase with those tone bars and a silver sparkle top. She was a beauty and did sound different from any other model I've ever owned. I'd love to have that one and live in a dome house and wear nothing but white all the time.........

:D

Right, silver top! I was trying to remember what that piano looked like, there was something different about it. It played like crap, action beat to hell, and this was back in 1978. But I never forgot the tone or the look of those square tonebars.

Shipping would be beastly, of course.

Yeah, Berklee had several classrooms full of those green Rhodes back when I attended. The silver box on the bottom left hooked up to a headphone network. During class, the teacher could sit at his desk and listen to an individual student playing without their being aware of it. He could also play examples on his Rhodes for a single person or specific groups in the classroom to hear it, while others were able to continue practicing uninterrupted. It's definitely a Rhodes designed for the classroom. I don't recall them sounding or feeling that great either.

Not to rain on your parade, but while at Berklee I never did play _one_ of those that felt or sounded any good. Of course school keyboards are usually fairly beat up, so maybe one CAN sound good if properly worked on. I suspect that this one can't be that good for the price it's going for. If you're getting it for the collectors item value, then go for it; but I wouldn't count on it sounding that great without significant modification/repair. On the other hand, I hope that I'm completely wrong and that it sounds amazing out of the box....

Actually, not a 'rare bird' at all. I thought so when I first saw it, and had a bad GAS attack. Later I discovered ir was the student/classroom model. At Berklee, they had a room full of them. For practice. Still, it is very cool in its own Star Trek kinda way..

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Archived