Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best and worst keyboards ever

zephonic

As a professional keyboardist for the last 15 years, I have played a good many instruments and Id like to share some of the best and the worst with you.

HALL OF FAME

ROLAND XP80

As far as Im concerned, the best -and perhaps only- allround keyboard ever. A superb 16-part multi-timbral workstation, and a reasonably clever live-instrument. Modern instruments might offer better spec or more bang-for-buck, but IMHO this is the benchmark by which others are measured.

YAMAHA DX7

Speaking of benchmarks...

CLAVIA NORDLEAD 1&2

I have owned both at one point in time, and although the sound was supposed to be like analog it turned out to be something rather unique, endearing and playable. In spite of the lousy keyboard action, it was always a hoot to play, just pull the pitchbend-lever and release it...fun!

KORG WAVESTATION

Never had one, and so wish I did. I used to work in a studio that had one, and I did not leave in unused in any of the tracks I recorded there.

YAMAHA KX88

Another class-defining instrument from the makers of the DX7. Master keyboards really did not exist until this one came along, and it still qualifies as one of the finest weighted actions ever made. Like the DX7, programming it requires an entire buddhist monastry dedicated to that single task alone. And youll need them to carry it to your gigs too...

ROLAND SOUND CANVAS

Though not a keyboard, this was the musical equivalent of the Volkswagen Beetle. Now everyone could create full arrangements on their computers. The sounds are smallish, but believable and work extremely well together, and the user interface is a study in simplicity and effectiveness.

KURZWEIL PC88

Yeah, they listened to us. For those that just wanted that K2500 pianosound in a relatively light-weight, gig-friendly package, this was the ticket.

KURZWEIL K2500

...but if you could afford one of these, you wouldnt bother with that, of course. Portability was never an issue for owners, because theyd be wealthy enough to hire porters and roadies, or famous enough to qualify for them.

ROLAND JX 10/JX 8P

Never attained the untouchable status that the DX7 had, but still very playable instruments by the makers of some of the most god-awful ones. The hybrid digital/analog design gave it a warmth that the crystal-clear DX7 lacked.

KORG 01/W

The ultimate all-round keyboard until the XP80 appeared. In the early 90s this was everybodys swiss-army knife...

ROLAND D 50

Roland stubbornly stuck with analog filters, and God bless them for that. This was a truly unique instrument, very much the pinnacle of Rolands hybrid design approach.

YAMAHA MOTIF

During the nineties, Yamaha just never got the workstation-concept entirely right. It must have pissed them off, cos they sure went all out to get this one right. I mean, whats not to like about the Motif?

YAMAHA P80

Pianists the world over rejoiced when Yamaha put this on the market. Just what everyone had been waiting for, and just what the doctor ordered, too. I betcha pianists back problems have actually diminished because of this one.

HALL OF SHAME

ROLAND D70

One of the sexiest keyboard-designs ever, but if you thought youd buy an über-D50, youd end up kicking yourself. The same bogus sounds as the U20, at twice the price, and an impossibly inflexible and illogical OS to make your misery complete and irrevocable. Stay clear.

KORG TRINITY

What a lovely sound this thing produced and eminently playable too. However, Korg shot themselves in the foot and customers in the proverbial when they decided to add a truly disastrous touch-screen to an otherwise highly desirable instrument.

KORG TRITON

Stupefyingly, Korg superseded the Trinity with something that was every bit as unreliable and slow but now sounded inferior to its predecessor as well. Touchscreens remain very sensitive and hideously expensive to replace. Still, many keyboardists swore by this unit, as they erroneously believed that it made them look as cool as say- rappers.

YAMAHA SY77

Even the company responsible for the best-selling keyboard of all time fails to get it right on occassion. The SY featured AWM (which is Yama-lingo for sampled sounds), sound-quality was pristine and playability not unlike an anvil. No matter what you tried, the result was rigid, stiff and cold. Good if youre into music thats...well...rigid, stiff and cold, though, like nordic rock.

ROLAND FANTOM X

If you, like me, had been waiting for Roland to get their act together and finally produce something that could replace the venerable XP80, you cheered when the Fantom X arrived. They messed up with the original Fantom, didnt quite get it right with the Fantom S but the Fantom X definitely ticked all the boxes. So you bought one, only to find that they sold you a DJ-style groovebox with a keyboard bolted on to it as an afterthought. Get a Motif.

YAMAHA P250

At the risk of offending a legion of very fine players, if you bought one of these you are a knucklehead. Thats right, you got ripped off, pal, so stop thinking you can show it off without having people laugh behind your back. It weighs a ton, really doesnt sound better than the P80 and you need a motorcade to transport it. Why choose it over the P80? Or an S80? For those bogus speakers?

ROLAND U20

At one time a firm favorite of Indian and Arab wedding bands, its ghastliness becomes apparent only when you find one in mint condition. Buy a melodica instead. Or a Casio, or a PSR, if you insist on wasting perfectly good electricity.

CLAVIA ELECTRO

A highly playable, wonderful-sounding instrument designed for retro-heads with bad backs or compact cars. But at this price, why not buy a bigger car or go see a chiropractor?

ROLAND ALPHA JUNO

The only good thing about the Alpha Juno series is that they dont make them anymore. Rumour has it that the CIA bought the last batch while researching alternative interrogation-methods.

YAMAHA EX-7

As stated before, it took Yamaha quite some time to get the workstation-concept right. A point perfectly illustrated by the EX7, which to its credit- had some playable ep sounds.

ENSONIQ SQ 1

Although Im very much a fan of American synths, I do think that this singularly useless keyboard convincingly demonstrates why Ensoniq went out of business.

KAWAI K4

Actually considered to be a desirable entry-level keyboard at one time, time has proven the masses that bought it to be wrong. There is in fact nothing remotely desirable about it, and it is entry-level in the way that a Yugo could be considered an entry-level automobile. If you havent sold yours by now, youre stuck with it unless you know a guitarist. Or drummer.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I traded my old K4 for a microphone, and got the better end of the deal.

They actually didn't sound too bad if you ran them into effects. At one time I ran mine into a borrowed Quadraverb, and set the effects to change with the patch change. Made the K4 sound much better. When the friend that loaned me the Quadraverb asked for it back, I went to a music store to buy one, and left instead with a Korg M1. What a sonic improvement that was. Made the K4 expendable, so I traded it for and EV ND357 mike.

Recently when my N364 had it's problem I went into a local music store to see if they had something I could use, and they had 2 rent-to-own boards. A Roland U20, and a K4. Haven't been back in there since.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I second the Roland XP80 as one of the best all-around keyboards in its time. The XP80 and an MPC were the basis of my (and many others) writing and project studio for years.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

There's an older thread about the worst keybords, and it is very entertaining ;)

Originally posted by zephonic:

ROLAND XP80

As far as Im concerned, the best -and perhaps only- allround keyboard ever. A superb 16-part multi-timbral workstation, and a reasonably clever live-instrument. Modern instruments might offer better spec or more bang-for-buck, but IMHO this is the benchmark by which others are measured.

I tend to feel the S90ES holds this title now. If there ever was one synth that I felt was a jack of all trades, and did it well, this is it.

I think it's tough to rule out between the MOTIF-TRITON-FANTOM. Each has it's own strengths, weakness - everyone has their own favorite. I'm a fan of the MOTIF line, but to each his own...

Among the worst, you forgot gems like the Poly800, Tesco(?) SX-240, Kawai K1...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

The worst - I remember a RMI electric piano piece of shit that I used on concerts - horrible.

The old Wurlitzer electric piano was also not so great - very little sustain, you had to work to keep any sound going and it was quite flimsy as well.

I wasn't thrilled with the old Fender Rhodes (gasp!) - inconsistent action and it always needed repairs. That was a tank.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Zephonic,

you said:

" YAMAHA P250

At the risk of offending a legion of very fine players, if you bought one of these you are a knucklehead. Thats right, you got ripped off, pal, so stop thinking you can show it off without having people laugh behind your back. It weighs a ton, really doesnt sound better than the P80 and you need a motorcade to transport it. Why choose it over the P80? Or an S80? For those bogus speakers? "

You didn't really offend me but this is just 'Wrong'.... !

I won't even talk about the piano sound on the S80 (even with the card piano)..... The P80 is better than the S80 but man you really don't know what you are missing. . . .

When amplified correctly all the clouds disappear and the P250 really shines when you set it up right with proper amplification (in Stereo). No other digital has ever preformed better for me than the 250... live or in the studio.

It is an amazing digital piano machine, akin to E. Piano to what the CS80 was to synths!

You have to run it right! thats the key. I use two old EV SX200's with a Crown Powerbase 1 and a BBE and EQ and it really is the dope!

But, I hear you!

I just ran around stage for our local LI blues festival trying to help them after my band's set ( used my own gear). The festival stage piano, a Kurzweil 2500 88 they had was sent with the wrong damper pedal and Mose Allison was headlining in 2 acts and nobody knew what was going on with the Kurzweil, so lickety splits the had the local Sam's Ass send up a P-250 for Mose to play just run through the stage monitors and the PA and it sounded not much better than a P80 ..... I concur!

Not mine with my rig! The Resonance layer is no joke! The heft of the piano makes it a nice solid base to play on, like a real piano.

I felt sorry for Mose, I did get a hand shake and a mumble though from him and was given the honor of getting chairs for his wife, daughter and grandchild. I got a tip for that!

He told me "To Plant My Corn Early" (this is a joke of mine of course, he never said that!)

They thought I was a stage hand!

Ah! Fame!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Zephonic,

I couldn't find "Knuckleheads", but I guess this is what you'd expect us P250/CP300 owners to say after reading your conclusions of the P250

and players that use them.....

http://www.threestooges.com/downloads/sounds/morons.asf

cheers,

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Its funny reading this thread with its diversity of opinion. I tend to think every keyboard ever made has at least one thing that gives it some appeal.

The worst keyboard I played recently was a Korg X5D (I think thats the name).. but I did actually like one of its organs and there was a nice flute preset.

One of the best things I've played recently was the Access Virus... not sure it could offer up the same kinds of fat pads (a'la Soundtrack) that a JX8P could though... My favourite from the last few years though was the VSynth... shame its so underpowered and not quite "complete".

I heard an RMI piano/organ going through a leslie on a video of Patti Smith doing "Hey Joe" and thought it was one of the best keyboard sounds I've ever heard. I hear Irmin Schmidt of Can playing a Farfisa Professional organ and think its incredible. Even something like my old Korg PolyEnsemble 1000 (1975/76) had a few nice sounds.

I don't really have one all time favourite board though I have enjoyed many aspects of the ones I've owned.

Loved the Yamaha P80 (althoughh my wrists always felt a bit odd after playing it) and Roland JX8P and JX10 (though I found the JX10 OS a bit cumbersome). Found a few patches on the MOTIF to be truly incredible (esp the patch Utopia) but overall too hard to use despite the simple architecture. Same with my VL7, incredible keyboard but who actually programs these things?

To me it all proves there is no such thing as the perfect keyboard for everyone, at least not at the moment. What I call a great rhodes sound, someone would find poor and vice-versa,some people want to program their own sounds, others want large libraries of orchestral sounds,etc..

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Errr, there are no analog filters in a D50. Analog style, non resonating digital filters, yes.

The filters in the D50 are digital but also resonant. Not very usable at high-res settings, they sound too harsh (digital resonant filters really didn't get good until the mid-90s romplers and of course the onset of the VA).
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

The worst - I remember a RMI electric piano piece of shit that I used on concerts - horrible.
Yeah, I hated those RMI pianos. But putting Wurlitzer and Rhodes in the same category renders your opinion meaningless. Valid only if you really need a piano and are trying to play a piano, rather than the instrument at hand.

And as mentioned above, even the crappy RMI could make cool sounds in limited circumstances.

I agree than only a goof-off would put the Electro in the worst list. Or someone with a chip-on-shoulder.

The P80 is an interesting case. In its day, it was a great improvement and is laudable for that. However, I hear that sound in so many amateur recordings and it's so static and lifeless that it gives me the shivers.

Finally, I bet you pissed off a bunch of our Nordic friends. Maybe a better term would have been "Arctic rock", but that might annoy some Inuit folks (do they even have internet access? If not what the heck do they do all winter?)

For some good Nordic rock, try listening to a little Henning Kvitnes . Not at all icy. Got a great B3 player in his band, too (Jon Terje)!

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

The old Wurlitzer electric piano was also not so great - very little sustain, you had to work to keep any sound going and it was quite flimsy as well.

I was tempted to just write "wrong wrong wrong" but that would only be my opinion (I have a kawai grand, vox connie, old cx-3, vk-7, xk-3 but lately have had the most fun playing my really beaten up old wurly - its relly got an individual character that i happen to like). I think the best response is that these seem to be becoming increasingly desirable and expensive - hard to justify being in the worst category even if you personally dont like them.
I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

The action on the Nord Electro is about the worst I've ever played, but it's got so much else going for it that it's still one of my favorite boards. How it got filed under "worst" is beyond me, as is his praise of the Yamaha P-80. I owned a P80 and it was a piece of crap in stereo. God forbid you had to run mono. Well, I suppose I've played worse, but certainly nothing about the P80 impressed me. Bad action on that one too. Playing on it was like running up a sand dune.

I guess I can be the voice of dissent on the Kawai K4. I have a K4r being stored by my brother, and I recently asked him to ship it out to me. If you wanted straight, clean pianos, flutes, strings, or whatnot, you were out of luck. But if you wanted something oddball and a little kooky, it was a great synth.
Darren Landrum

My favorite pianos to play wear a 7' Steinway grand piano and a 7' Baldwin grand.

One of my favorite vintage synths to play was a Kawai K3.

My favorite synth/samp/workstation to play is a K2600 (maybe my opinion will change once I get used to playing my Oasys more).

The worst piano I every played on was a Yamaha upright; it's keys were so rigid and stiff that it felt like I needed to depress the keys with a hammer instead of my fingers.

really is a case of one man's meat is another man's poison.

I don't think I have found more than one sound, if even one sound on the Korg 01/W that I liked.... and I played in a band with one for almost two years.

rsp

richard sven

sound sculptist

Hey Misterdregs,

Thanks for that link, as I could find a picture of my very first "pro" organ I had when I was a teenager, a Welson/Halifax Duo 2. :freak:

Actually, I didn't even know about the model number. Holy schmonopoly. That thing sounded great at the time, but I'm glad to have better keyboards today. ;)

Worst I ever had: Lowery Organ. What a waste of money for my parents when they could have got a real piano.

Best: I've owned so many over the years. I think the Korg T3, Yamaha S90 and the S90ES I own now are the ones I really look back upon with good memories.

How can you put the Triton in the Hall of Shame when it's used by so many musicians, many of whom are incredibly respected, and they sing its praises?

The keyboard I had which I had a love hate relationship with was the Quasmidi Raven. It was a techno board and was really different sound wise from anything out at the time IMO. I got some really interesting stuff from that board but it was so buggy it drove me crazy.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

+1 Lowery "Genie' organ line.

Particle board piece of crap, about 500% markup for the dealer, and Lowery made a hefty chunk of change on this rip off "instrument". :rolleyes:

Another Hall of Shame Winner:

The ARP Omni II. There were cheaper "synths" that were every bit as bad, but the Omni was only outdone in terms of high price and poor sound by the above "Genie". The Genie name must have come from Lowery needing an infusion of cash and the Genie was the way to weasel money out of unsuspecting consumers.

Fortunately, I never bought the "Genie". I do however, have a wonderful Omni II that needs a power supply.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

+Another Hall of Shame Winner:

The ARP Omni II. There were cheaper "synths" that were every bit as bad, but the Omni was only outdone in terms of high price and poor sound by the above "Genie".

Y'see there it goes again, the Arp Omni II is a much revered keyboard on the jazz funk scene. The keyboard player in Incognito listed it as his favourite synth.

Funny thread. I have played and/or owned my fair share of synths over the years.

The best gig combo I had was a Yamaha SY99 and Kurzweil PC88. My favorite board of all time is the S80 I currently own. :)

The worst for me was the Kurzweil K2500XS. I expected more from a 'workstation'. It stayed in the repair shop more than a mechanic. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah, I hated those RMI pianos. But putting Wurlitzer and Rhodes in the same category renders your opinion meaningless. Valid only if you really need a piano and are trying to play a piano, rather than the instrument at hand.

My complaint with the Wurlitzer, you really had to work to play a ballad - the notes would not sustain for very long. I realize we can look at that as a characteristic of the insrtument and thus its charm, but for me, I wanted the notes to sustain more. I only kept that Wurlitzer until the next best thing came out.

The Fender Rhodes always needed adjustments and there would always be a problem just before a concert. Nice sound for what it was, but I don't miss the keyboard at all - horrible action.

A great keyboard - the Roland A80 controller. It had a steep learning curve (at least back then, perhaps not now) and it was extremely flexible ... and the action was nice. I must have used that keyboard for ten years or so. I got my money's worth from that keyboard. I still miss it - a nice package.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Not to beat a dead horse, but our esteemed colleague says describes a "worst keyboard" as a "highly playable, wonderful-sounding instrument"? And then raves about the XP80? I owned/own both, but the XP80 wasn't exactly one of the most playable, but I loved what I could do with its sounds (although the JV1000 had a ballsier tone).

And the FantomX is a DJ groovebox?

And the P80 is a great instrument??? (The best thing about the P80 was its gig bag.)

And I know I'm in the minority, but the DX7 was so intrinsically awful, it made me switch to bass for a few years. HATED that sound, and it was everywhere.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Originally posted by zephonic:

As a professional keyboardist for the last 15 years, I have played a good many instruments and Id like to share some of the best and the worst with you.

Er, you know that electronic keyboards go back farther than 15 years, don't you? Your list is rather limiting.

-1 for Rhodes pianos - mine had horrible action. If their quality control were more consistent it would've been a better piano. So many red flags to look out for that I would never buy one without playing it - so caveat emptor if you're buying one on the 'bay or on craplist.

Archived