Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oscar Peterson suffers racial slurs

kwgm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess they do have idiots in CA too.

Why would they be doing this, when the guy is just a piano player? It's not like he "stirs up" anything (which I wouldn't have a problem with if that's what he did with his time, just that it tends to bring attention to oneself).

Good grief.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Oscar's a wonderful human being...and -- in this writer's opinion -- the best jazz pianist that ever lived. Listen to his "Digital at Montreaux" CD for proof! I'm honored to have played some of the same venues he has (wish I could say I was on the same bill!). These loser racist cowards yelling at him have no clue. I really hope they leave him alone. He's 81 years old, he's suffered a stroke -- this is the last thing he and his family need!

Oscar's a wonderful human being...and -- in this writer's opinion -- the best jazz pianist that ever lived. Listen to his "Digital at Montreaux" CD for proof! I'm honored to have played some of the same venues he has (wish I could say I was on the same bill!). These loser racist cowards yelling at him have no clue. I really hope they leave him alone. He's 81 years old, he's suffered a stroke -- this is the last thing he and his family need!

It is a shame that folks are still raising their children with this kind of BS in their heads & hearts. :(

I truly hope for the sake of Oscar Peterson, his family and other minorities there, that Canadian authorities deal with this situation ASAP.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oscar is one of the very best of the very best, period.

Idiocy knows no borders.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I think most people are ignorant, period. Race, religion or heritage. It does not matter. People are quick to insult, make fun of or degrade those who are different than themselves. Any black person who has reached his level of success had to go through a lot. It's just a shame that he still has to endure. This should be a time when he can relax and enjoy his success. :(

As for his music, I think Sushi from "Live at the Blue Note" is a defining jazz performance. :thu:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Joe Muscara:

"CA" being Canada in this case (not California... I know we have plenty of idiots here too, of course).

In my opinion, the love of music is one of the biggest barriers to racism that exists. I am so appreciative of music because it's one of the main things that taught me about our equality as humans. Creativity and talent are color blind. I wish more of the planet could say the same.

- Jeff

There is absolutely no reason why these idiots should harass Oscar this way. Let us hope that they become recipients of the Darwin Awards.

:mad:

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

What a shame. Who the hell could dislike Oscar Peterson? Some folks deserve a whack upside the head with a baseball bat.

I recently downloaded "The Paris Concert" from emusic.com - one of my old favorite LPs. What a recording!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

"CA" being Canada in this case (not California... I know we have plenty of idiots here too, of course).
[Clouseau accent]I know that![/accent]

I wondered if my use of the abbreviation would confuse others, didn't think about other people thinking I had it wrong! :eek:

Actually synthizen2, they probably need to be "educated" by having to deal with other people that are different than themselves so they can find out how much alike they actually are. In an ideal world that would work anyway...

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Zappa was right - stupidity is more pervasive than hydrogen.

Not that I want to give more importance than necessary to this hopefully isolated episode (that would be what the idiots want, probably), but I'd suggest that we all send a few words of solidariety to Mr. Peterson. Unfortunately, his official site doesn't provide any way to contact him or his office. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by misterdregs:

Some folks deserve a whack upside the head with a baseball bat.

Agreed...

And some folks need multiple whacks.

I don't know the specifics, but it doesn't matter. This makes us all look bad.

As Jeff the Weasel said, and I agree,

"...the love of music is one of the biggest barriers to racism that exists. I am so appreciative of music because it's one of the main things that taught me about our equality as humans. Creativity and talent are color blind. I wish more of the planet could say the same."

Yes. Well put, Jeff. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks Gassy.

My mom, as a kid in Cincinnati, got to see people throwing bottles at Ray Charles. They didn't believe he was actually blind, and since he was black, it really didn't matter if the bottle hit him anyway.

Sick bastards. Remember, there will always be less cool people than idiots. That's how we know we're cool... we're not like them.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

The link is dead -- so what happened to Oscar?

Some silly, ass clowns are riding past his house yelling racial slurs. :(

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This kind of thing bums me out. So I went to this page to remind myself of Mr. Peterson's greatness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJt51MxIwuY

After my jaw fell on the floor a big smile came on my face. The coolest part was when the clip was over. I realized I never had the inclination to notice what race those people were on that stage.

Jerry

So, no one wants to celebrate free speech? :D

It's a tough thing when people say things you don't want to hear. Or, using a driving metaphor, two-way streets are more dangerous than one-way streets.

Un-friendly speech can seem counter-productive, but violent recourse is a worse action than the speech itself.

Before anyone gets the urge to profile me ;) , I've paid to see Oscar play a number of times since the early 1980s. Oh, and some of my best friends are ... males. :D

Originally posted by Prague:

So, no one wants to celebrate free speech? :D

Free racist speech? Come on... you're just kidding/teasing, right?

Anyway, following your logic - if I would insult you very heavily for what you wrote in your post, I could feel rather safe that you would 'never' react violently - right?

Right? :D

Violence begets violence. If you kill that guy, his brother/father/mother/friend/whoever will come after you.

If anyone finds a way to send a note of support to Oscar as marino suggests, please share.

My old piano teacher used to work with Oscar Peterson. He sent me an e-mail with this disheartening news a few weeks ago . I'm sad to read the situation hasn't been remedied.

As the old saying goes, "The world would be a much better place if people behaved like human beings."

I wish we could inoculate everyone against bigotry and eradicate this awful disease. It breaks my heart to see people I care about become victimized by it.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

It's difficult to express outrage over isolated racial ignorance, without feeling just a bit hypocritical and burdened. Far worse crimes against humanity are deemed far less remarkable. But it's a sad commentary on our "good Canadian neighbourhoods" and we're all feeling shocked.

I pulled out my "A Night In Vienna" DVD, liking your idea, Marino, of sending notes of support. No fan site listed.

But! :idea::D I forgot I had tucked away 12 commemorative Oscar Peterson 50 cent stamps. I'm not a stamp collector, so if anybody wants one, send me your address. Actually I already have yours, Marino, I'll send you a postcard whether you want it or not. ;)

Umm, does a postmark devalue a stamp? I suppose I could stick it in an envelope. That'll cost ya.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by marino:

Free racist speech? Come on... you're just kidding/teasing, right?

Anyway, following your logic - if I would insult you very heavily for what you wrote in your post, I could feel rather safe that you would 'never' react violently - right?

Right? :D

No, I wouldn't react violently. Because I don't care.

Free speech is a Pandora's box. You have to take the good with the bad (the two-way street). But it's better than rules of allowed speech (the one-way street).

So, go ahead and insult me if you like. But I won't demand that you be silenced. Free speech is not easy, but it allows all to participate. We wouldn't want it any other way, correct? Or is their "a list" of those who can and cannot speak? Who controls this list?

Speaking of rules, this thread is off-topic to keyboards. ;)

Violence begets violence. If you kill that guy, his brother/father/mother/friend/whoever will come after you.

I've always managed to make my point without killing anybody. The point is always that there will be no second warning. If a carefully measured beating doesn't make 'em go away and stay there, you're just not doing it right. :D
--wmp

Archived