Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oscar Peterson suffers racial slurs

kwgm

Originally posted by Prague:

So, go ahead and insult me if you like. But I won't demand that you be silenced.

Prague, I'm afraid that you're confusing different issues. Censorship is one thing, yelling racist insults at an old man is quite a bit different - I don't know if I would fight for their right to do so.

Also, sorry for restating the obvious, but I don't think anybody in the thread would *really* approve of any physical violence against those 'nice' guys. I believe ignorance and stupidity is what they're about.

But I wouldn't mind for them a few weeks of social services, as someone suggested. ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see the story, but if I understand it correctly, Oscar is being harased in his own home. That bothers me a lot more than the racial stupidiy aspect of it. One should walk away if he can, but this is clearly not a case where one should. These folks deserve punishment.
--wmp

I agree that violence begets violence. That's why I mentioned the Darwin Awards. That's for idiots that themselves out of the gene pool.

While I agree that there should be free speech, I disagree that these people should be allowed to express their hateful opinion. This is obviously very hurtful to Oscar and his family. My belief of a person's rights have always been that my right to swing my arm ends at your nose. A person's right to free speech ends when it is intended to harm.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by marino:

Geoff, your link just gets me on a page of unreadable data. Any chance you could fix that, or maybe paste the info into this thread?

Thanks!

Carlo, I copied and pasted the link from my old piano teacher's e-mail. While I was able to follow the link and read the article on July 31st, I'm getting the same unreadable data as you when I follow the link today.

My hope is that it's a temporary thing, because I'm getting the same problem when I follow kwgm's link at the top of the thread.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by marino:

I don't think anybody in the thread would *really* approve of any physical violence against those 'nice' guys.

Originally posted by wmp:

If a carefully measured beating doesn't make 'em go away and stay there, you're just not doing it right.

Talk about bad timing! :freak: Ok, so let's just say that *I* wouldn't approve of physical violence against them. :D

Originally posted by Prague:

So, go ahead and insult me if you like. But I won't demand that you be silenced. Free speech is not easy, but it allows all to participate. We wouldn't want it any other way, correct? Or is their "a list" of those who can and cannot speak? Who controls this list?

[/QB]

Ok, you're an idiot.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I remember Oscar telling a story of a guy who used to stop into a club he played at on a regular basis. The man always appeared to enjoy Oscar's playing. One night Oscar went over to the gentleman to say hi and extended his hand in greeting. The man refused to shake his hand, saying that while he admired his playing he couldn't shake the hand of a n-----. This was early in his career; he has had to put up with this kind of crap all his life.

Busch.

I live in Toronto, so I've read several news reports of this incident. The strange thing is that in at least one of the articles I read (LINK to article) , Oscar was quoted as saying that yes, people yelled something at him, but that he didn't hear anything racial. He didn't say what they said. But in spite of that, it's being reported as an outburst of racism. Which, of course, it could be, but the "facts" of the incident are just not totally clear to me.

Archived