Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's gigging this weekend?

Joe P

My cover band is off, but I will be playing acoustic accompaniment for one of my wife's modern dance pieces Friday & Saturday night. Small theater (about 150 max), and I will be playing an electronic Roland spinet. Don't know the model because it's always too dark to see details, but I like it. It's nice to just walk in with some music, play the gig and leave. Not as good an axe as the last performance, which I did on a 9 foot (est.) Steinway in a rather big theater at Seton Hall University. I'm playing a new-age mood music piece juxtaposed against a combat-type choreography.

So who's gigging this weekend?

Regards,

Joe

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight I play on a nice Yamaha grand piano in an upscale Northern Italian cuisine restaurant. I will use just my Music Pad Pro for music display and MP3 backing tracks run through a small Motion Sound KP-100s stereo amp... fast and easy setup, great overall sound for dining and dancing.

Saturday I play at a seafood restaurant with a Yamaha 9000 Pro arranger controlled by my Radio Shack piano in a dual-key setup through a Martin house PA. Same gig on Monday. I use my own SMF's for backing there.

Sunday is a double: I play both brunch and dinner at a popular local upscale diner. I'll use my Kawai ES4 piano with the same Music Pad Pro setup I use at the Italian restaurant mentioned above. I'll put in 7-8 hours on piano with few breaks that day, which always wears me out.

So I'm off for a bike ride before the busy weekend begins...

Down to the coast tonight - trio with bass and percussion in a small pub.

Saturday night down to the coast again (different part though) for a Sinatra tribute band - five piece with guitar, drums, bass and vocals. Jazz really but with Sinatra label seems to make it popular! - we all dress up in dinner suits and bow ties as well. Gigged with this band last night as well.

Dave

'Junior's Roadhouse Allstars' have a busy 4th: Tonight a benefit for kids at the Black Forest Theatre in Dallas, and Tuesday the 4th at "The Goat" a joint in East Dallas. 'Work Release', plays Monday for a company 4 July party at Addison airport.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

6/29 - Golf Course party

6/30 - Private party

7/1 - Blues Festival afternoon

7/1 - opener for After 7 and Tony, Toni, Tone night

7/2 - Rib Burn-Off afternoon

7/2 - Nightclub gig

7/3 - Company picnic afternoon

7/3 - Nightclub gig

7/6 - Nightclub gig

7/7 - Nightclub gig

7/8 - Wedding

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I'm playing a Canada Day gig in my home town.

S80, D70, PEK, Wavestation EX, XV-5050, E4XT

Everything but the kitchen sink, although I could bring that to keep the beer cold...

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Friday: Hello Dave (original) in Fontana, Wisconsin

Saturday: Hello Dave in Naperville, IL (opening for REO Speedwagon)

Sunday: Hello Dave in Fort Dodge, IA (Opening for Doobie Bros)

Monday: Pink Freud (Pink Floyd/Jethro Tull/Deep Purple covers) O'Malleys, Chicago

Tuesday: Pink Freud, Arlington Heights Frontier Days, Arlington Hts., IL

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The next few weeks I'm by myself with no added musicians. Tonight I'm playng country dance music (with SMF backing tracks I've recorded here at home) at an Eagles Lodge in The Dalles... 35 miles away. On Monday I do my old piano bar routine from like 25 years ago in the tasting room of the Maryhill Winery, a large winery complex not far from where I live in the Columbia Gorge. Next weekend is busier for some reason... 4 gigs.

I have a steady Thurs. job doing mainly Karaoke in a restaurant/lounge on the Columbia River. It's a little for the money, but a lot for the fun of it... I actually enjoy sitting back and letting other people sing for a night. Judge me a traitor if you will... I hate to say it, but it's often the busiest night of my week. I have had repeated offers to do it as a steady on weekends in there as well, but that's just a little too much...

Man some of you play A LOT!

My band is playing tonight at a very good neighborhood bar for live music (nice stage with small dance floor, and lively appreciative customers who were dancing on the bar the last time we played there -- women only up on the bar of course -- any guy who does this needs to have a big talking to).

The Blarney Stone in Pickerington, OH.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I had a chance to gig Saturday night but would have had to drive 2+ hours and only for a few sheckles. Just not worth it to me.

I have a private concert scheduled for my dog. Is it good when she howls? :D

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by Blue JC:

Is this in the Natti?

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

We did a booze cruise around Casco Bay (Portland, ME) last night. Hit some rolling swells and almost lost the drummer (he turned a fascinating shade of green). Our first boat gig - actually pretty fun. Local club tonight, then up to the mountains tomorrow (140 miles away) to a whitewater rafting resort in the metroplis of The Forks. Using the MO8/Nord Electro61 combination to a KP-200s.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Originally posted by C.Bull:

Originally posted by Blue JC:

Is this in the Natti?
Nope. Canton, Akron and Cleveland. But Cinci is one of my favorite cities on the planet for music.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I started with a 10-day boat gig and finished up with a festival gig on Thursday. The weekend is off! :D Next weekend, l'll play a festival gig again, then it's off on another boat gig, two different festival dates with different acts and a club gig. July is a good month!

Private conference gig on Sunday in Torrance, California.

After a little R&R time in SoCal, back home for a gig on Friday the 7th at one of my favorite venues -- the Fogbank in Capitola.

It's just a dive bar, with no real stage and crappy acoustics. But it's right on the Esplanade, with a back door on the Bay. My wife and I have been hangin' out on the Esplanade since we were just kids, it's really fun to play there.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Hey No Lights, my band Elmore Twist just played a Casco Bay booze cruise on the Casablanca. We set up on the upper deck (outside), the captain warned us of the forcast, Thunderstorms, possible hail, 60 mph wind, we moved the gear under the tarps (next to the bar). The weather turned out to be beautiful with no problems, I love playing these cruises.

This weekend - 6/1 Campground in New Hampshire

6/2 Another campground in NH

Gear - S90es/Electro61/JBL EonG2

Steveb

Just playing mandolin in church with a guitarist and keyboardist (or sometimes a second guitarist).

But I am looking for a good band to play guitar in, that would be playing out, and not just in churches! (Churches have good audiences, but in some ways you're very limited!)

But even that little bit I'm doing is a good thing, to keep on my toes and make progress on another instrument.

I must admit I'm seriously addicted to playing live!

My classic rock/retro/party band is playing a "Pre-Fourth of July" house party tonight in an upscale neighborhood here in Northwest Indiana. We've played this gig before.....lots of bored, horny, silicone-laden, alcohol-driven MILFs hanging out. Had one rubbing up against me last time.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Every Sunday at noon (church).

Of course, some of you may not consider that a "gig!" .

Of course it is! That's what I'm doing as well.

This Sunday I'm planning on doing a two minute version of Chuck Berry's "Living in the USA" right before the service starts.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Originally posted by Edgar Summers:

Every Sunday at noon (church).

Of course, some of you may not consider that a "gig!" .

Of course it is! That's what I'm doing as well.

This Sunday I'm planning on doing a two minute version of Chuck Berry's "Living in the USA" right before the service starts.

Doing one of these this Sunday as well. No Chuck Berry though. This coming Saturday's off so I should be rested for a change.

Archived