Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

solo piano songs to impress tha ladies...

loxley11

Dude, I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner! I think the best moment of my piano playing career was discovering that when those long years of boring classical training were put to use playing a few well chosen pop songs, a make-out session with my girlfriend was sure and swift in coming.

Disclaimer: Ok, I know there are a few of you gals here too, but since we're mostly guys, you'll have to pardon my testosterone-induced and slightly sexist thread.

I was thinking something along the lines of "you are so beautiful," "mandolin rain," "open arms," or the like. Hell, they don't even have to be good songs. Since I figure we guys could only benefit from expanding our library of these gems, it seemed like the perfect time to start a list. Any suggestions? (And if you think I'm being an chauvinist asswipe, please feel free to say that also.)

Regards,

Loxley11

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few that spring to mind that have helped me remove bras....

The Commodores..Easy

Oasis...Dont Look Back In Anger (cringe)

Van Morrison...Moondance

Robbie Williams...Angels (extreme cringe)

Radiohead...Karma Police

They're all mushy songs and not great but have scored with them lol....

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

My Ever Changing Moods - The Style Council

Faithfully - Journey (if you can sing it, of course)

Your Song - Elton John (tacky as it gets, but should work like a charm)

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Andre, I'll see your tacky and raise you three:

Color My World

Maybe I'm Amazed

... and to give a subtle hint ...

Lay Lady Lay

I guess these are best if you can sing, though.

The best bet is to WRITE a really mushy song for the lady in question. Worked great for me (though, it was my wife ...)

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Well, "Don't Look Back in Anger" and "Karma Police" are hardly what I'd call mushy songs, but if they helped you get some, that's all that matters.

LOL!

Loxley, you are too funny. Guys, does this really work? I guess as a musician myself, I don't really fall for the "play me a mushy song" thing. NOW, play me ANY tune with real substance and your heart and soul in it, and if I like your sensibilities, I can be swayed to thinking better of you. :)

Of course, I've been married for 7 years and been with that guy for 16, so ... And he is the most tone-deaf person I have ever met.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by geekgurl:

Loxley, you are too funny. Guys, does this really work? I guess as a musician myself, I don't really fall for the "play me a mushy song" thing. NOW, play me ANY tune with real substance and your heart and soul in it, and if I like your sensibilities, I can be swayed to thinking better of you. :)

Just because some people call them "mushy" doesn't mean they are bad songs!

Originally posted by learjeff:

Geekgurl, it's a matter of percentages ...

;)

This is sooooo true. :thu:

I had a friend in college - a drummer. He wasn't too bright, nor was he good-looking. But he would ask ever girl he met for a date on Saturday night. And you know what? SOMEBODY always said yes. :eek: It was totally amazing.

Unfortunately, Billy fell out of the back of a pickup truck when he was helping a friend move - landed on his head. He was never the same since. :(

Of course, it made him a better drummer though. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by learjeff:

Geekgurl, it's a matter of percentages ...

;)

This is sooooo true. :thu:

I had a friend in college - a drummer. He wasn't too bright, nor was he good-looking. But he would ask ever girl he met for a date on Saturday night. And you know what? SOMEBODY always said yes. :eek: It was totally amazing.

Unfortunately, Billy fell out of the back of a pickup truck when he was helping a friend move - landed on his head. He was never the same since. :(

Of course, it made him a better drummer though. :rolleyes:

"Boom boom".. :D

I got a lot of mileage out of "Open Arms" and "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" in my younger days. :)
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Depending on what kind of music your lady likes, you could learn a variety of tunes. I'm guilty of using this technique to impress the ladies. Some songs I like to play are:

Open Arms - Journey

Honestly - Stryper

Nadia's Theme

Angel Song - Great White

Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven

Can't Fight This Feeling - Reo Speedwagon

Jump - Van Halen (not a romantic song but it always seem to impress them)

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I'll add to Learjeff and say any tune written for the woman does it.

Others include

Endless Love Lionel Richie

Love Songs Candlelight and You Jonathan Butler

Moondance

Wonderful Tonight Eric Clapton...I know it is a guitar song but it works on women even on keys.

Now I just need a woman to seduce and those little blue pills to relive my 20's.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

That one only works once a month Dave :D

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by geekgurl:

... Of course, I've been married for 7 years and been with that guy for 16, so ... And he is the most tone-deaf person I have ever met.

Oh geekgurl, I bet if you play him some Skynard he might do the dishes and become soooooo attentive. ;)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

100 years - 5 for Fighting

At this Moment - Billy Vera

Imagine - JL

Tempted - Squeeze

Call it the Blues - Elton

Desperado - Eagles (play the intro and no one can resist singing)

How Sweet it is - James Taylor

99 - Toto

Come Sail Away - Styx

Went to college at UNC (Chapel Hill). It just so happens that none of the guys dorms have pianos. Almost all of the girls dorms have pianos. I spent a LOT of time going to play those pianos.

Songs that worked for me:

"Rosie" - Jackson Brown (yes, her name was Rosie)

"One in a Million" - Larry Graham

"Your Song" - Elton John

"Still" - L. Richie

"Endless Love" - L. Richie

"Three Times a Lady" - L. Richie

"Amie" - Pure Prarie League (yes, her name was Amy)

"You Are So Beautiful" - Joe Cocker

I actually wrote a song in high school called "My Angie". I figured out that since so many female names are two syllables and end in the "eee" sound, that I could substitute names right left and sideways - so I used that one to great effect to deliver "personalized" original songs in an instant.

Archived