Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

solo piano songs to impress tha ladies...

loxley11

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

That one only works once a month Dave :D

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag

I don't understand.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, pieces to "show off" piano playing skill can be successful.

"Maple Leaf Rag" was one I also used on occasion.

"Bumble Boogie" was another one.

But, less demanding, but more well known instrumentals actually seemed to work better.

"Pink Panther"

"Mission: Impossible"

"Baby Elephant Walk"

Those were the trio of instrumentals I'd always pull out to reel 'em in.

Loxley, you are too funny. Guys, does this really work? I guess as a musician myself, I don't really fall for the "play me a mushy song" thing. NOW, play me ANY tune with real substance and your heart and soul in it, and if I like your sensibilities, I can be swayed to thinking better of you. :)

[/QB]

Yeah it does...well kinda. I once started playing a mini grand at a party after a few drinks and this fantastic looking girl came over to watch. Before long i had the whole party singing songs and while i was revelling in my own glory, i forgot to notice that this girl had dissappeared. Later my friend came up and thanked me, saying he "dissappeared" with the girl, and that he would NEVER have met her unless i started playing the piano!!!

FAN-F***ING-TASTIC!!! :rolleyes:

Lady in Red oftens gets the girls attention (nice chords too). I also find that Your THe one that i want (yes from Grease) often gets girls singing and dancing!

Guys, I hate to say it, but at the end of the day here, we're talking about playing PIANO. Singers? Guitar players? THEY get girls. The piano's just one small step above the clarinet on the cool scale.

I mean, I guess anything will woo women. I'm sure a guy who talks a mean NASCAR game will pick up some chick somewhere too...

Songs that have actually worked well for me:

She's Got a Way

I've Loved These Days

Just the Way You Are

Honesty

and

She's Always a Women

all by Billy Joel.

Love Street

Light My Fire

and for some reason

Whiskey Bar

all by the Doors.

Yesterday

Michelle

Elenor Rigby

She's Leaving Home

For No One

all by the Beatles.

Carl

Here's a sweet little love song that never fails in my experience. Women I know love this song.

Everythin', everythin', everythin's gonna be alright this mornin'

Ooh yeah, whoaw

Now when I was a young boy, at the age of five

My mother said I was, gonna be the greatest man alive

But now I'm a man, way past 21

Want you to believe me baby,

I had lot's of fun

I'm a man

I spell mmm, aaa child, nnn

That represents man

No B, O child, Y

That mean mannish boy

I'm a man

I'm a full grown man

I'm a man

I'm a natural born lovers man

I'm a man

I'm a rollin' stone

I'm a man

I'm a hoochie coochie man

Sittin' on the outside, just me and my mate

You know I'm made to move you honey,

come up two hours late

Wasn't that a man

That represents man

No B, O child, Y

That mean mannish boy

I'm a man

I'm a full grown man

Man

Man

I'm a rollin' stone

Man-child

The line I shoot will never miss

When I make love to a woman,

she can't resist

I think I go down,

to old Kansas Stew

I'm gonna bring back my second cousin,

that little Johnny Cocheroo

All you little girls,

sittin'out at that line

I can make love to you woman,

in five minutes time

Ain't that a man

That represents man

No B, O child, Y

That mean mannish boy

Man

I'm a full grown man

Man

Man

I'm a rollin' stone

I'm a man-child

well, well, well, well

hurry, hurry, hurry, hurry

Don't hurt me, don't hurt me child

don't hurt me, don't hurt, don't hurt me child

well, well, well, well

Yeah

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

ANYthing by Alex Bugnon!

Seriously, get just about any 3 CD's of his, the olderstuff is great for this.. Make a mix CD of the ballads and discard the uptempo stuff, and you're in business...

I promise you!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by RABid:

Originally posted by mojazz:

Great Balls Of Fire!

Well, maybe if you want to pick up your cousin. :rolleyes:

:D

Robert

Well, a perverse thought like that may be what you think about when you hit-on the ladies. :rolleyes:

Yea, I got the JLL reference. I just thought his post was a "dig" that playing that song will bring up thoughts about in-bred romance.

Playing GBOF at that bar gig was twice removed from any family relations, it was more about a multi-cultural inter-action.. ;):D

If the girl understand portuguese or at least spanish, try "Voçè è linda", by Caetano Veloso. I especially love the version by Lee Ritenour, called simply "Linda".
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Spoken like a guy that advises playing with his forearms ... ;):P

HA!! It's best to just roll with it. I'm a stereotypical nerdy keyboard player. We're all just better off admitting it...

Originally posted by daBowsa:

Lick My Love Pump

and YES!!!! That's a great pick! It's sort of a blend of Mozart and Bach... A "Mach" if you will...

Wow, didn't think this thread would get so many responses!

Oh, and one more thing, stroehmann showman: I totally agree with you regarding a keyboardist backing up a band onstage. But there is a difference between:

a) dancing around on your seat like a total dork while the guitarist/singer up front gets all the attention, and

b) sitting in a quiet room at a classy grand piano, the girl of your affection sitting on the bench next to you, and singing her favorite song while accompanying yourself on the piano--try it sometime ;)

Regards,

Loxley11

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. Play the first measure or two and you'll have every girl in the room flocked around your piano. Trust me.

And another one that always seems to work is 100 Years by Five For Fighting (previously mentioned by dgrennan.) Not really sure why, but it does.

Good luck :thu:

:P

Guys are pretty clueless, LOL. And it could have something to do with the keyboardist nerd factor.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Melodies Of Love - Joe Sample

The River - Monty Alexander

Sweet Lady - Monty Alexander

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by mojazz:

Yea, I got the JLL reference. I just thought his post was a "dig" that playing that song will bring up thoughts about in-bred romance.

Ahhh, okay then. When I read it, I got it as nothing more than a joking reference. I guess RABid and I share a similar sense of humour, perhaps. ;)

(Scary, huh? :freak: )

It will sound better on a Nord Lead than a piano, but "Every Day I Love You Less and Less" by the Kaiser Chiefs will have her throwing things at you... not the bra, more likely an ashtray.

Google for the lyrics if you don't know the song :):):) .

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

"Every Time You Go Away" Paul Whatever-his-last-name-is

"She's got a Way" William Martin Joel

"Faithfully" Journey

Heck, I just wish there was a vocalist around here that could sing Faithfully. I think I could probably sing it .... after having surgery!! (nope, not gonna happen)

"Those who don't believe timing is everything have never changed a diaper."

Archived