Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

-sensorydecay

Alright guys. I'm out. I've spent 4 years of my life infront of this keyboard in this room of mine and I have yet to be able to make music. I've learned your chords and scales and how to read and write music and tried to play with doezens of bands. Gained a reputation for not being band-mate friendly (due to always asking what key or chords they're playing. Guitarist don't tell you anything!). I have learned the beautiful art of synthesis and how to remake sounds, but i'm afraid I'm throwing in the towel. I've enjoyed your company on the keyboard corner. I wish you all the best! =]

-Jason wycherley

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you know when to quit. I've seen people hang in there for years, blowing money and time that they could have used for something more rewarding. Go to law school, or something similar. Being a musician isn't for everyone.

:wave:

Me too. 42 years of this keyboard crap and not one platinum record. No groupies. No endorsements. No money. Biggest waste of time ever. I'm thinking professional figure skating's where it's at. How hard can that be?

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Me too. 42 years of this keyboard crap and not one platinum record. No groupies. No endorsements. No money. Biggest waste of time ever. I'm thinking professional figure skating's where it's at. How hard can that be?

:D

Originally posted by -sensorydecay:

Alright guys. I'm out. I've spent 4 years of my life

That's it? 4 years? How good did you expect to be?

Try starting your own band. Get the other players that can work with you.

I'll never understand why keyboardists don't start bands. It's rare. I think you should show everyone on this forum what a keyboard player can be.

-sensorydecay, how do you want to express yourself? From your post, it would seem you'd like to be able to play live as well as compose. It's worth bearing in mind that few people get to a level where they can do both very well.

In my view, learning music should be towards an enjoyable end, even if that end is 'remaking sounds'. However, if you want to be in a band and are getting frustrated at not being suitably proficient or band-friendly, why not go out on your own? In any case, do what makes you happy. There's nothing worse than seeing someone labour at something with no/little personal reward.

If music isn't enjoyable any more, take a break - if it really sucks, by all means, quit. Either way, good luck. :thu:

Wow 4 years and still no band? I know that musicians can be a pain in the arse. Most definately guitar playing diva types. Be realistic, do you think a surgeon learns everything in 4 years of med school? Or an auto mechanic can diagnose any car problem in 4 years? Most people have barely learned the basic of music in 4 years. It is true there are people that just don't have a knack for music, but if you truly desire to play you should find others who play at your skill level or below.

If you continue to write and compose music, and listen to others tunes and learn how to chart them, in another 4 years you might find yourself where you hoped to be.

Good luck in your decision which ever it is, but most of us are still learning to play after 40+ years. That 10 fold my friend.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Sensory, you can always make music for yourself and your friends, right? Music is probably more fun when it's a hobby and not a profession. I envy those who are not slaves to their instrument. Guys who have a day job and play on the weekend always seem to have more fun than the guys for whom music is their only source of income.

I'll never understand why keyboardists don't start bands.
My light went on many years ago. I realized when I couldn't make the job they had a real hard time finding a replacement. They could always find a drummer or bass player, but a competent keyboard player (at that time, Hammond M3) was difficult. (Also, there was reading involved as we had a talented guy writing arrangements for the group - six or seven pieces.)

Rather than earn sideman wages I simply started booking jobs, paid my guys well and made leader's fee. For the kind of music I play (and played - wedding band), the keyboard player is indispensable. The drummer can walk in late, the bass player can walk in late, the singer can walk in late, but a keyboard player can always keep the music moving right along - alone or in any combination of the aforementioned players. We are the most important players, period .... and always have been.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

So I guess that means there's some gigs available?

But seriously...

Originally posted by BluesKeys:

It is true there are people that just don't have a knack for music, but if you truly desire to play you should find others who play at your skill level or below.

This is exactly what I wouldn't do. I would seek out some patient guys who can play. Surrounding yourself with guys who are at the same level or below your own gives you nowhere near the education and experience that paying with guys who have some chops will give you. I've been fortunate my entire career to get gigs that I had no business getting. What I learned on those gigs was priceless, and the learning curve was so much steeper that I had to sink or swim. Was it frustrating at times, yeah, anything worth doing is going to kick your ass more often than not.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by Prague:

... I'll never understand why keyboardists don't start bands. ...

For me I learned early on that is it much easier join established bands that are already making good money. As a keyboardist I could always find one of those bands needing my services.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by kanker, allegedly:

I would seek out some patient guys who can play. Surrounding yourself with guys who are at the same level or below your own gives you nowhere near the education and experience that paying with guys who have some chops will give you. I've been fortunate my entire career to get gigs that I had no business getting. What I learned on those gigs was priceless, and the learning curve was so much steeper that I had to sink or swim. Was it frustrating at times, yeah, anything worth doing is going to kick your ass more often than not.

+1,000 :thu:

kevank! +1000.

I am in a band right now that is fantastic. The guitar plaer is way better than me...I am forced to bring my A-game, and everytime my A game gets a little bit better.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

It is true there are people that just don't have a knack for music, ....

I cam across many in the military, in the field of music; they were usually in charge.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

At the jam I'm playing tonight there's a kid that comes in to play bass, and every time he plays, I have to step up my game to my A+ game. Makes it a lot of fun, and I come out of it playing better. The kid's name; Dave Pastorius. Yes, he's Jaco's nephew, and plays just like him.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

The kid's name; Dave Pastorius. Yes, he's Jaco's nephew, and plays just like him.

:eek: Very sweet, Mr. N! :D

Incidentally, and not to hijack this thread too much, but I'm curious what larger venues you guys have in Melbourne, FL? Is there a Hard Rock Cafe venue that has live music there?

I ask because Classic Albums Live is working on dates in Melbourne towards the end of this year... :)

Back in the mid 80's I quit playing for 2 years. I was tired, angry, disillusioned, had stopped progressing musically, and no longer had any fun. Then I found a blues jam with some of the best players in Alaska, started jamming with them twice a week, and recaptured the joy of playing. 20 years later, I still have the joy, and learn something new every time I play.

Sometimes it's a good thing to back away for a while and reapproach music from an entirely different perspective.

Willie Dixon

Nothing wrong with taking some time.

You didn't ask for advice, but here's mine anyway: :P

Don't sell your gear. Keep it for a year or even two. If you don't miss music at all, and feel like you'll never play again after 1-2 years, then sell it.

But you might find yourself re-energized after a break. Nothing worse than having to go buy a whole new rig just to be able to play.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Sometimes, I wish I could quit too Jason.

I wake up on Sunday morning, my voice is shot, my body hurts all over from moving equipment and I smell like old cigarettes and beer.

But, I'll never quit because I've had that "perfect moment in time on stage" when everything's clicking and you feel like you and the band could play anything. That's the addictive part. Once you've experienced that, at least for me, everything else pales in comparison.

So maybe it's best that you quit now before that happens to you. After that happens, you won't be able to quit. However, if you stick it out, it's worth it. It's a hard life but it's worth it.

Best,

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Thanks guys. I've decided to put down music for now. I just have no joy in it anymore. I was supposed to start at a musical recording college next year. I'm hoping i'll always stay in the industry. Even if I can't make the music I want, it'd be nice to still be around it all. With that said I'm departing from my boards. Thanks for all your advice over the last year or two. Wish you all the best.

-Jason wycherley

Glad to see you're looking to stick with the industry, Jason.

On a similar note, we have a commercial running up here in Canada. A young guy goes out to make the hockey team, dreaming of making the NHL. Invests all kinds of money on skates, pads, sticks, etc. Trouble is, he can't really skate all that well. :(

So he decides to try to be a goalie, because there's not much skating involved. Invests in the goalie equipment, and gets completely humiliated in net.

Then, he sees....

The Zamboni ©:

http://www.motivationalquotes.com/postcards/cards/zamboni.jpg

Long story short, he becomes the Zamboni © driver at his local rink. So now, at least he's still involved with hockey.

Subsequent commercials have him getting called up to the NHL after a Zamboni © driver sustains an injury. :thu:

Here's hoping you get called up to drive the big Zamboni © one day. :thu::cool:

Thanks guys. I've decided to put down music for now. I just have no joy in it anymore.

I see from some of your background that you are 17 years old. I didn't start playing keyboards (somewhat actively) until I was 18.

Originally posted by kanker, allegedly:

So I guess that means there's some gigs available?

But seriously...

It is true there are people that just don't have a knack for music, but if you truly desire to play you should find others who play at your skill level or below.

This is exactly what I wouldn't do. I would seek out some patient guys who can play. Surrounding yourself with guys who are at the same level or below your own gives you nowhere near the education and experience that paying with guys who have some chops will give you. I've been fortunate my entire career to get gigs that I had no business getting. What I learned on those gigs was priceless, and the learning curve was so much steeper that I had to sink or swim.
Yeah, me too. But I'm not sure this is the essence of Sensory's frustration.

Sensory, what is it that's really frustrating you? That you haven't written your own material? That when you play cover songs you don't sound like the original parts? That you have been mired in fundamentals and haven't broken free to actually play (this is the easiest to break, really ... just stop playing scales and start playing songs)? Or, is it that the politics and business side of dealing with bands and trying to get "out there" is overwhelming?

It'd help us all help you if you were specific as to the frustration. I think I'm not alone in seeing your "farewell" as a call for advice; otherwise, wouldn't you just have stopped coming to the forum, no announcement of your departure. Anyway, I hope you reply, and best of luck, whatever you decide.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Glad to see you're looking to stick with the industry, Jason.

On a similar note, we have a commercial running up here in Canada. A young guy goes out to make the hockey team, dreaming of making the NHL. Invests all kinds of money on skates, pads, sticks, etc. Trouble is, he can't really skate all that well. :(

So he decides to try to be a goalie, because there's not much skating involved. Invests in the goalie equipment, and gets completely humiliated in net.

Then, he sees....

The Zamboni ©:

http://www.motivationalquotes.com/postcards/cards/zamboni.jpg

Long story short, he becomes the Zamboni © driver at his local rink. So now, at least he's still involved with hockey.

Subsequent commercials have him getting called up to the NHL after a Zamboni © driver sustains an injury. :thu:

Here's hoping you get called up to drive the big Zamboni © one day. :thu::cool:

You know, I've always wanted to drive a Zamboni, just once.

Willie Dixon

I've learned your chords and scales...

They ain't mine, I don't use em when I don't have to :P

Seriously man, if it's work and not something you enjoy, don't do it. That should apply to every aspect of your life I feel. If you don't enjoy something, why do it?

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Oh, on a Zamboni note and off topic. My grandfather was a speed skater, skated from age 15 to age 75 when he finally had to hang his competitive boots up. He still skated for fun up until he went to the hospital for a heart attack. He died in his 80s having lived a very full life, and he was layed out in his skating uniform for the wake. He asked to be creamated and for the ashes to be spread out on the rink he loved and swept up by a zamboni. Now, due to what the owners assure us are very many laws against this, we've been unable to fulfil this request, but we'll figgure something out.

I just thought it was cool how much he really loved skating.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

My suspicion is that, if you CAN quit, it wasn't meant to be.

But take it from me: a little obsessive compulsiveness goes a long way in the absense of raw talent. If you're like me, just play at every opportunity and 20 or 30 years later you'll wake up one day and actually sound OK!

Seriously, I remember at 15 I was sick and tired of how little progress I seemed to be making and thought I'd give it all up. (No doubt it wouldn't have been possible, but I was serious.)

My older sister had a new boyfriend who heard me playing guitar and she passed on his comment that it sounded good. (To my surprise, everything I did sounded like crap to me.) But Jim mentored me through a tough time and inspired me and I've never looked back since, not even in the ruts (which have been many in the 33 years inbetween!)

So, if maybe you're just frustrated, see if you can find a mentor. The world is full of great and nearly great musicians who enjoy sharing and inspiring those a few steps behind them on the ladder.

Archived