Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forum CD Comp 11 Liner notes

b_3guy

Please use this thread to post your liner notes. I'll use mine from the previous CD as an example:

b_3guy - He Ain't Heavy (He's My Brother), originally by the Hollies. All Vocals & Harmonica by Paul Lucas; piano, orchestration, drum arrangement, & bass guitar by Steve Jordan. Recorded with Digital Performer 4.12 using Waves on a Dual 867 G4. Piano sounds came from a Yamaha P-50, strings came from Reason 3.0, drum loops from Drums on Demand, Bass came from a Fender 5-string through a Pod.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Escape Velocity (second movement) copyright Carl Kramer 2005

Escape Velocity is written for trio (Keyboards, Guitar and Drums), but I wanted to try this as a solo piece for Keyboard Corner comp number 11.

There are also lyrics however there is no vocal track in this version. The song itself is about the first manned space flight to venture out beyond Earths solar system.

Instruments used:

• Roland A30 MIDI controller used to control an Alesis QSR and Yamaha DX100
  • Evolution MK125 MIDI controller used to control a Yamaha AN200
  • Evolution MK149 MIDI controller used to control a Roland MKS-70
  • Korg Mini-Korg K1

Effects used:

• Lexicon MX110 reverb
  • Zoom RFX1000 reverb
  • Boss DD-20 GigaDelay
  • Alesis Faze

Recorded to PGmusics PowerTracks Pro v8.0 running on a Windows 2000 computer.

The performance itself was done in real time as a single pass. Patch changes and adjustments to the Korg K1 were also done mid performance in real time.

All synth patches, with the exception of Keiths C3 and Touch Bass from the Alesis QSR were hand rolled by me.

Carl Kramer

forceman - "BeauLara", original composition by Steve Force, West Bloomfield, MI. Loosely based on Ravel's Bolero. Recording consists of three discreet keyboard tracks all single-pass (real-time), hence some obvious error artifacts. :-)

Keyboard is a Yamaha Motif ES6 using both digital and analog (analog plug-in card) via MLan through a Yamaha I88x into Cubase SX3. Drums are fxpansion BFD v1.5 drum loops VST plugin in Cubase SX3.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Here are my notes; please note that I would like to use my real name, Carlo Mezzanotte, for the CD, instead of my username Marino. I did the same for all other comps I partecipated in.

Carlo Mezzanotte: "Walking in your Steps". Written over the changes of John Coltrane's "Giant Steps", this tune gave me the chance to play with bass virtuoso Dario Deidda. For the electric piano sound, I used a Kurzweil K2600R with Pyramid Sounds' "Real Rhodes" sample CD. I modified its programs heavily for my own playing, and I drove it from a Fatar Studio 2001 master keyboard.

The musicians: Carlo Mezzanotte, keyboards; Dario Deidda, bass; Stefano Pacioni, drums.

Ciao Cacao is the first recording ever to use an Andromeda.

When I was working for Alesis, I had taken the prototype Andromeda with me down to Sao Paolo, Brazil to demonstrate it at a trade show. A brazilian musician enjoyed what I was doing so much that he invited me to come down to play with his jam band in a club that night (none of whom I had ever met, much less played with). This track comes from that jam.

Recorded live to two track at Club Na Mata, Sao Paolo, Brazil August 18th, 2000.

Musicians:

Alec Haiat - Guitars

Yann Laouenan - QS7 organ, Korg MS20 filter sweeps

Tiquinho - Trombone

Hugo Nory - Sax

Robinho - Bass

Kuki Stolarsky - Drums

dB - Andromeda synth solos, synth clav

Mixed by Bechara

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

gangsu - A Part of That from the musical The Last Five Years by Jason Robert Brown. One of many rehearsal recordings made in anticipation of the Porcupine Music Festival, Timmins, ON. GEM ProMega 3/SB Audigy.

and that's all I have to say about that. :D:thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Here are my liner notes:

Jazzman -

Song Free Form 3:52

Produced, Mixed, and Performed by George Santorilla at Off Duty Studios, Inc.

All of the keyboard patch sounds on this tune were performed on an Alesis QS6; performance was live in the studio and just me playing. The lead was done as a "One Pass" performance. As a matter of fact all of the music was tracked each time as a "One Pass" set-up with no re-takes. It had taken me about an hour to perform and put it all together.

Track set-up:

Drum machine/2 tracks; split keyboard patch of piano and bass/2 tracks; synth sound with punch/2 tracks; brass/1 track;lead synth/1 track with a total of 8 tracks used on one DA88 machine.

Set-up and chain:

The Alesis keyboard and Boss drum machine were connected directly into the 32/8 analog Mackie mixing board to one Tascam DA88, then to a Tascam DAT, then to an HHb CD burner. Most of the time was getting the drum machine programmed right. The song came naturally based on the funk beat. FUNKYYYY!

Jazzman: :cool:

Maple Leaf Rag, composition by Scott Joplin (1899).

Performance on Kurzweil MIDIBOARD by Martin Newton (Cydonia).

Piano sound and reverb : Kurzweil PC2XL.

This is a real-time recording (no editing). I play this piece at a more lively tempo, as it is contemporary of silent movies with scenes intentionally undercranked to accelerate the action.

nursers - Little People on a Sunny Day

Written and recorded by David Holloway using Pro Tools on G5 iMac, DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard, Korg Triton LE and various samples. Dedicated to my daughters who provided the initial inspiration but not the responsibility for the bizarre path the song took!

Roland Genske - The Moca Groove

Composed and performed by Roland Genske on Yamaha S80 (Rhodes, Bass), Native Instruments B4 II (Organ), Roland HPD-15 and Toontrack Superior Custom & Vintage (Drums). Tracked on Steinberg Cubase SX3 through a Terratec MIC8 interface. Mixed on ADAM S2.5A speakers. Copyright © 2006 Roland Genske.

Jay "Dafduc" Ricketts - Hey Katrina!

Jay "Dafduc" Ricketts: mdaPiano, midi tuba, vocals

Lou Prangler: drums, percussion

Dan "HevyD" Guenette: guitar

Greg "Buddah" Dillon: slide guitar

Glen "Hotz" Hodgson: trombone

Stephen "steev" Edgington: clarinet, harmonica, background vocals

Kirstin "kgirl72" Frosheiser: background vocals

Tune, lyrics, and performance copyright © Jay Ricketts, 2005, 2006. All rights reserved.

Note - this was an internet collab - I have no idea what everyone else used for tracking, but my tracking and mixdown was done using Acid 5.0, and premastering with Sound Forge 8.0. Special thanks to Spectrasonics for their Hurricane Katrina benefit loops package. And to Boden Larson and Emeric Loan for making the collab possible.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Ben One-Eleven to Midnight

Composed by Ben One and performed with the Alesis QS6, this is a new version of the opening track to my band's 2002 CD. While the earlier version was multitracked, some sound layering and zone remapping allowed me to perform and record this track in a single pass. The number in the title is a reference to how many times the bells toll in the track; as a complete coincidence, it matches the volume number of this KC Compilation.

David Ryshpan - Shahgely (traditional Egyptian). Bassist Graig Earle showed me this melody out at the Banff Centre in summer 2005; this is an electronic/fusion approximation of the arrangement our group did. Each part of each segment (except the drum programming) was played as one full pass. Recorded in Mackie Tracktion (post-production/reversed audio done in Audacity); Alesis QS8 controlling Mr. Ray 73, MinimogueVA, Mysteron, SampleTank 2 Free, and Sonik Synth 2 Free.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

"Anchor" by Kirk Dupont

I wrote this song for my wife as an anniversary gift several years ago. It was tracked using a Kurzweil K2500RS.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

"Strangiato Days," arrangement/improvisation by Michelle Pollace (Geekgurl) derived from "La Villa Strangiato" by Rush.

In their liner notes for "La Villa," Rush amusingly adds the subtitle, "an exercise in self-indulgence." I would therefore have to say my interpretation is a success, if not musically, then at least in spirit. This 8-minute performance is two hands, two keyboards (Kurweil PC2 and Roland Juno 106) in real time. It's a singular take of a solo keyboard performance (with all its flaws), save for one 2-second segment that I took from a previous performance for better continuity.

I programmed the Juno patches, used some modified and stock PC2 timbres, and created split/layer performance setups on the PC2. I recorded onto 2 tracks (one for each keyboard) into a Digi 001/Pro Tools on a PC.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Here's the introduction to the disc...Thanks to all for their help and support...

======================================

A century of recording technology has changed not only the way listeners hear music, but also how musicians create it. So it's no surprise that the initial idea for this Keyboard Corner compilation caused so much controversy. KC member Krakit (Carl Kramer) suggested a simple concept: "Just YOU and some synths, playing in real time, one pass, no overdubs, no post production."

While some forum members embraced this "one-pass" idea, others immediately expressed reservations. Modern studio tools have become so ingrained in the process of making music--especially when synths are involved--that one-pass recording seemed incomplete, undoable, or simply undesirable to many members. Still others negotiated for variants of the one-pass idea, for example by playing lead lines in real time over previously recorded keyboard tracks.

Amidst the heated debate over the format of this disc, the initial lack of contributions forced a decision to make this compilation an "open" one, so that members could contribute anything from the barest of single-pass tracks to the most polished studio productions.

In the end, an amazing number of contributions flooded in, surely due in part to the high visibility of the message thread dedicated to this compilation (now exceeding 500 posts!). As a result, this KC volume contains one of the largest numbers of contributors yet (a special welcome to the many first-timers on this disc). This CD documents the efforts of Carl and others who stretched themselves through voluntary restrictions, as well as those who freely applied the talents they have developed with high-tech music production tools.

A huge note of appreciation goes to Dave Bryce for performing sequencing and mastering duties for the ninth time out of eleven compilations, and for keeping this project moving along with constructive enthusiasm. Also, great thanks to stalwarts Steve Jordan and Janet Graham for their always superb booklet graphics and design as well as to Jim Miles for disc production and distribution. Another KC member who must be acknowledged is Linwood Bell, who donated a computer to Carl so that he could finally record his long-envisioned instrumental piece, "Escape Velocity."

After many months, we're ready for liftoff. Enjoy the ride!

Ben One

Prelude in C minor (excerpt from BWV 549) by J.S. Bach (1685-1750) played on a Reuter pipe organ. Recorded February 2, 2006. Copyright © 2006 by Bartolomeo Cristofori (a pseudonym); redistribution permitted under the terms of either CC-BY-SA 2.0, CC-BY-SA 2.5, or GFDL 1.2 licenses.

Love the C minor, Bart!

Okay, I love Blue in Green, too. And Sabre Dance. And Bolero. And the Maple Leaf...

Man, I can't wait for this CD.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by stoo schultz:

Blue in Green, by Bill Evans (1959)

Stoo Schultz on solo piano (Roland RD700), one pass, live improvisation on the changes.

I'm looking forward to THIS one! Bill Evans, yeah, baby!

:thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Chega de saudade, by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes.

Arranged and performed live by Andrea Rotolo.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Roland Genske:

This thread was buried on page 9 !!!

Who knows about the current status of KC#11? Do we have everybody's liner notes?

Janet has the painting about 75% complete. I'll try to get her to finish it tonight. As soon as I have the painting in hand I'll do up the liner. OK?

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by b_3guy:

Janet has the painting about 75% complete. I'll try to get her to finish it tonight. As soon as I have the painting in hand I'll do up the liner. OK?

:thu:

As previously mentioned, we're in no hurry.

Thanks, Steve! :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived