Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Volume X - impressions?

Dave Bryce

Got mine today....looks great! Excellent work by Steve, Janet and Jim. Thanks again, guys! :cool::thu:

I'll try to take a listen to it tomorrow, but I've already heard it a bunch, so I'm in no hurry. ;)

I hope you guys are as pleased with this one as I am... :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get mine as of yet, but my friend Nick Testa (thanks Jim) has received the one I had sent to him. Without going into a lot of details, there have been a lot of changes in my life in the last year. Part of the changes have been I'm no longer playing live with the band that I've played with for the last 8 years. This kind of shook me up almost more than the other event in my life. I felt kicked while I was down. I had people, who were complete strangers, treat me better than how these guys that I had gigged with for the last 8 years have treated me during these changes.

One of these strangers is now my friend Nick. He reminded me that people in a band are not always your friends, sometimes they are just people you happen to make music with. In the end I only had one friend in that band & that was Paul, who I did the He Ain't Heavy track with. Nick has kept me busy music wise with tracks that he wanted keyboards on. I think this has kept me sane musically while I was going through this void of no live gigging.

But one of the biggest boo-boo's I've done recently is I forgot to credit my new friend Nick with the final mix & mastering of the He Ain't Heavy track. He also did the Autotune treatment to Paul's voice, which I know took hours. There really is nothing auto about Autotune. So thanks Nick for the Autotune work and the final mix & mastering on the track. Nick is truly the greatest friend a guy could ever have without actually meeting that friend in person. You see Nick lives halfway across the continent from me, in Elgin, Illinois.

I would also be remiss if I didn't thank my friends at Keyboard Corner. Even though I don't post a lot, the forum is a big part of my day. And rarely a day goes by that I don't read to see what's new.

I also want to thank Janet. Without her my life would be empty & meaningless.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Love the whole CD!!! Every track's a keeper. I'm humbled to be in the presence of such excellent musicians.

One special shout out - I've been waiting for months to hear Floyd's IpaNaima concoction - definitely worth the wait. Killer concept, tasty chops, and an EXCELLENT live recording - very hard to do well. Kudos.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Got mine yesterday. Good jobs by all!! Thanks to all the guys that made it happen. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes to make these cds show up in our mailboxes. I owe a couple guys dinner or somethin'...This sure is a creative group of people we have here. And to kad - I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching you work. bravo brother!! And Richard - great ride on the jobim trane.

Jim, it's okay, I didn't take it as some "glib" (whatever that word means, lol).

But the fact that you didn't get my payment as of yet is not very OK... Let's see... I sent it August 23. It should arrive at your door a week ago...

It was a payment for 2 CDs, but don't hurry to send them, let's wait for another week. Sometimes things get late on their way between continents.

I am back.

I finally got a chance to listen to the entire CD - excellent work by everyone! A huge THANK YOU to all the folks who compiled, mastered, packaged, pressed and shipped this CD!

There is a great deal of talent represented here and it was a privilege to be a part of it.

Linwood - thank you for the kudos, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed your track as well! :thu:

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Got mine on Saturday, and finally listened to it Sunday afternoon.

I thought the version of "Please don't let me be misunderstood" was brilliant, though I would have loved to have been able to hear more of the lead vocal in the opening sections. When it broke into the prog/moog solo I fell off my chair - great kicker.

Grey Seal - Really enjoyed this one too. Makes we want to pull out YBR again (after not listening to it for a couple of years) - got to remember to grab it tonight.

Here, There and Everywhere - Aw man - This is my favorite track so far. Simply awesome.

In the Wee Small Hours - Love this one to. The vocals are great, and it's one of those classics.

Great job everyone.

kad, I'm so impressed. That track is just . . . amazing. Really beautiful.

I also enjoyed IpaNaima.

Lots more to listen to yet - I just gravitated to the titles that caught my eye first. . . . .

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Received mine this afternoon and these are SOOOO good!

Fulcrum's arrangement is clever as hell. The vocals pulls you into the track and the synth solo packs a whallop.

Expecting dB to have anything but a strong track with killer keyboards is like expecting Lance Armstrong to finish second. Great energy.

Richard "Floyd Tatum" Whitehouse's insightful "Girl From IpaNaima" reharm might deserve it's own write-up as a lesson in Keyboard. In the wrong hands, Jobim's classic can turn into a trite, lifeless cliche'. Thanks for such a truly fresh look. Tell the waitstaff to stop with the @#$%& dishes.

Kad - You recorded THAT using only a K2500RS, a mic and your voice?!? Are you freakin' kidding me? :eek: How the hell can I ever think I need more gear? From arrangement to performance, your track is exceptional.

Is there a band with a more infectious feel good vibe than What The...? No, in fact, there is not.

I knew I could count on steadyb for a wickedly clever take on The Who. Thankfully, no Les Pauls or Hiwatt amps were harmed in the making of this recording.

B3Guy - In the wake of Katrina, what a meaningful tune you chose to cover. Deeply soulful.

I tried to listen to Linwood's tune in my Saab. Unfortunately, the arrangement, performance and mix are so damn big that I have to buy a much larger car. Maybe an RV. You wrote the liner credit incorrectly, my friend. Should have been "The Linwood Bell Orchestra featuring Cathi Campo". Has a nice ring, doesn't it?

Pim, Daf, DanS, David Ryshpan, Jazzman, Dreamer, Jimmie"Gotta"B, and Vlad & Sergei: I'm completely floored and flattered to be on the same CD with each of you. Great tracks all.

(Thanks, Marino)

Thanks for the kind words Mark.

I haven't received mine yet, but it sounds like I'm in for a real treat. I had a feeling this one would be special.

How does the CD get to freekin' Italy before Montreal from Wisconsin?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Originally posted by DanS:

Because Carlo paid for his copy with a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino. :idea::thu:
Um, it wouldn't be a clever move... a bottle of Brunello is much more expensive. I mean, A LOT more!! :cool:;):D

Originally posted by marino:

Originally posted by DanS:

Because Carlo paid for his copy with a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino. :idea::thu:
Um, it wouldn't be a clever move... a bottle of Brunello is much more expensive. I mean, A LOT more!! :cool:;):D
I guess that depends on how much you really want the CD!

Believe me, I'm well aware about Brunello prices! Over here, lesser bottles are at least $50, and a good one is over $100 a bottle (some are $200-300). That's why I go for a more humble sangiovese.

Richard "Floyd Tatum" Whitehouse's insightful "Girl From IpaNaima" reharm might deserve it's own write-up as a lesson in Keyboard. In the wrong hands, Jobim's classic can turn into a trite, lifeless cliche'. Thanks for such a truly fresh look.

Mark,

Wow, thanks!

Tell the waitstaff to stop with the @#$%& dishes.
:D

Just got mine today. I'm only at Richard's wonderful and renowned reharm - Bobby and Brandi sound great, as do you.

I'm quite significantly humbled to be surrounded by such company on these forums, and on a disc. dB's cover of "Grey Seal" was spot-on (no surprise there,) Fulcrum's "Misunderstood" is sublime, and Pim and DafDuc flip the script nicely on their selections. Can't wait for the rest of the disc. :)

David

More comments: DanS - bien fait, mon homme! C'est très joli, et un bel homage au Elton, Bernie et Sting.

kad - Incredible. Absolutely phenomenal. I've got to play this for my singer/a capella freak friends. I'm very, very impressed.

Mark Z - I like the 6/8 groove, and the ethnic-ish percussion at the beginning. Great tone on flugel, as well.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I received my copies earlier this week. Everyone involved in the project did a fantastic job. The recording qualities were great, and the ideas stemming from those creative minds are simply amazing.

Great job to all who participated :thu:

Erlic

Archived