Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Herbie Hancock at Starbucks

Felix_dup1

Herbie Hancock has released "Possibilities" on Hear Music. Here's a snippet from an article on Billboard.com :

with the release of his new album, "Possibilities," Hancock ups the crossover ante. The 10-track set features the 65-year-old pianist collaborating with young stars (Mayer, Aguilera, Raul Midon and Joss Stone) and veterans (Sting, Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox and Santana). The result is a gear-shifting collection of pop tunes undergirded by a jazz sensibility that cultivates music free of genre borders.
Visit this link to see some short video of some of the studio sessions.

Pretty cool IMO.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for letting me know where I could buy it. I've been looking on itunes for the past week. Just got back with a pound of bean and the CD!! It sounded great in the car on the way home, but Herbie always sounds great to me. I love that he's using so many young guys on this. John Mayer on a cut. I'm going to see the John Mayer Trio next Saturday with Steve Jordan on drums. AND he's got Johnny Lang on a cut. I saw Johnny last week. Those boys are bad...

I've had it a few days now (picked it up at Best Buy), and so far, I haven't been too impressed. It seems like he's taken Santana's Supernatural/Shaman concept (Santana himself is even on a track) and run with it. There are some good moments, but overall the "dream team" concept doesn't really work for me here. Maybe I'm just old school - I much prefer his Headhunters era funk material.
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

Imagine how bored Herbie would get if he had to keep on imitating the style of his Headhunters days.

The NPR radio interview:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4829544

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

EuroNews did a feature on it a couple of days ago - showed some bits of video clips (filmed in a studio).

They also aired a fragment of HH interview and he said something like "...this is new music..."...

Give me a break. The stuff sounded like every other commercial pop out there.

I am not going to buy it.

I am back.

So I checked out about half the album last night on Napster. I gotta say, I went in ready to hate it because I really dislike these multi-guest star affairs. However, what I listened to was really nice. Nothing groundbreaking but a lot of hip piano playing. All the great Herbie-isms are there.

The John Mayer track is pretty infectious.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

Originally posted by DirtyRubberDuck:

Originally posted by program_insect:

only selling it via evil multinational corporation Starbucks? I just died a little inside...

Man, when Alanis Morisette did that there was some MAJOR backlash from the music stores. I guess Herbie isn't quite as mainstream . . .

DRD

Nope - it's available through traditional stores as well - I saw it today at Borders, for instance. Herbie's safely walking the line here, getting the best of both world's promotional advantages.

Smart guy.

And not a bad piano player either...

:-)

regards,

Jerry

DRD [/qb]

Nope - it's available through traditional stores as well - I saw it today at Borders, for instance. [/QB]

Yes, but when you buy it at Starbucks you can get it in decaf

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Keybass:

I dig it too! I bet there is a portrait of him in a closet somewhere that looks like hell though.

:eek:

So it was HIM R.Kelly was singing about!

:D:D:D

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Just got Herbie's new cd, and I think it's great. Like any experimental project, it's gonna have it's successes and failures; and those lie mainly with the quality of the vocal performances. But the one thing that's undeniable throughout this CD is Herbie's playing. Just breathtaking. There are a lot of pianistic lessons to be learned from Herbie's playing, and I can't wait to sit down and start studying.

I never thought that I'd actually enjoy hearing a remake of "I Just Called To Say I Love You", but I've been proved wrong; what a remarkable reharm! (Stevie's harmonica solo was a great idea in theory, but I don't know that he was able to keep up with Herbie's new changes.)

But one thing's for sure; without taking chances (and being willing to fail at times), this cd wouldn't reach the heights that it does. Well done Herbie! :thu:

Archived