Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you could....

Dave Bryce

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny, I always had a weak spot for the saxophone... If I had not been in need of braces, I would probably have been a sax-man; there was already too much stuff in my mouth to try jamming a mouthpiece in there. One of my strongest early musical experiences was the spiffy saxophone in Glenn Frey´s "The heat is on" :rolleyes: ... Today I´d love to be able to play guitar, preferably a National, what a sound... or maybe acoustic bass, lots of bottom end there. Or the trumpet, or even better, a fluegelhorn with LOADS of reverb! Right now I´m having WAY too much fun with my new OB-Xa, though! /J :D nas

Violin. Man, I love the sound of that instrument.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Are we limited to one on this one, Dave? ;)

Hope not.... I used to play a pretty good trumpet, but my lip is completely gone now. I wouldn't mind building that back up and playing it again. However, there's very little call for trumpet, cornet, bugle or flugel in the kinds of music I play. Yeah, a bit of horn section in the R&B stuff, but that's about it.

I wouldn't mind learning the accordian. Again, not much call for it in what I do today, but I just always thought it would be fun to play. Hey, maybe I could pick up enough Spanish to get by and jam with some Ranchero band. Lord knows there's enough of them in this town. :eek: My wife thinks I'm an idiot, but I like that Ranchero stuff, at least for a few minutes anyway. :cool:

But, dB, you already named my true secret musical desire. I would LOVE to play a mean sax. Someday maybe....

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Probably sax. I already play trumpet well, but sax is more versitile for rock and pop music. I'd get a tenor and a soprano.

Drums, too. A piano teacher once had me get a practice pad, sticks, and a rudimentary snare book for the exercise, but that was short lived. I'd love to be able to get behind a kit and groove.

I always wanted to play the flute but never got around to it. It would have been a nice addition to my music when I was going through my new-age phase with synthesizers.

I already play keys, guitars-electric and acoustic, bass guitar, and program drum machines. It would be too much to add another instrument at this point. The truth is I don't even play my synths very much because I've decided to focus on improving my guitar and bass playing.

Bagpipes. I love the sound, and what other intrument can irritate your neighbors as well? :D:freak::D:freak::D
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

First of all I would improve my playing on da drumz. Man, I just love that instrument! It's a totally different thing than playing melodic or harmonic instruments, although it is possible to play melodic on the drums but that's another story.

New instrument eh? Probably sax but a flugelhorn would also be nice. Or the bandoneon... it's so sweet! :love:

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Jack of all trades, Master at none. In high school I could play everything that we had in our marching band. Trumpet,Coronet, Trombone, Flute, Clarinet, Baritone, Saxophone, Tuba, Snare, Bass drum. I think I still can. So why can`t I tranlate that knowledge to keys? Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

I'd love to play dobro/acoustic slide guitar like Jerry Douglas.

I'd love to play sax like Clarence Clemmons

I'd love to play some sweet James Tayloresque acoustic guitar too.

I wouldn't even mind playing a mean mandolin too.

But when would I get to do all these? There ain;t much time to play these between playing primarily keys, playing fiddle on a few songs and then filling in on bass when needed as I do now.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

I've wanted to play flute for a while. Also, even though I use keyboards to make music, I can't actually play very well (that's why God created sequencers!) And I'd like to be able to sing. Didgeridoo. Marimba. Air guitar; can't play air guitar for shit! :D

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Me, I'd kinda like to learn to play the sax...

"I'll learn to work the saxophone

I'll play just what I feel

Drink Scotch whisky all night long

And die behind the wheel

They got a name for the winners in the world

I want a name when I lose

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide

Call me Deacon Blues"

As for myself, I'd like to get my vocal chops back. During the days when I used to sing regularly (1982 - 1992), I had the kind of voice that was most at home when singing Simple Minds and INXS covers. I don't know where my voice would fit into today's music though.

I used to play trumpet and drums too, but I'm not that interested in regaining those skills. My drum programming skills are good enough to satisfy me these days.

I've also dabbled at alto sax and guitar. Of those two, I'd like to get better at the guitar.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I'd love to play the bass if I didn't play the keys. It's typically the first instrument I listen for in a song after the keys, and typically the most understated, which suits my personality. :D A nice bass line played by a skilled bass player, and round bass tone is very moving. The fretless bass is also a great sounding instrument in the right hands, such as those belonging to John Pattitucci, Jimmy Haslip, Marcus Miller, Jim Wooten, Abraham Laboriel...

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I used to take my little brother to his bass guitar lessons. Every now and then I would sit in on a lesson, just to make sure he was practicing everything his teacher gave for the week. I fell in love with the bass. If I could afford to pay for 2 lessons (his and mine), I would take them myself.

Drums, drums, and drums. I think it's (hey, brothers in keys, please don't kill me! :D ) the most important instrument in rock music. Period. There may be not so good a guitar player, not your best bass player (don't argue, I myself am a former bass player), a so-so keyboard "wizard" and an annoying singer in a band. But until the drummer is good (I mean really good, a smoker) probably I would be able to listen to it (for a while anyway ;) ). But if a drummer is a looser...

:rolleyes:

Then I'd better go out to watch some MTV!

I am back.

I'm really glad I choose keys. It happened a bit casually, but they're still my favorite instruments - both piano and synths.

Among the various instruments that I tried in my life, I would love to be good on clarinet and drums/percussions. Among the ones I've never played, my absolute favorite is the Hungarian cymbalom. Apparently, I'm not alone in my choice! I've know a couple of cymbalom players, and they left me with jaws dropping every time. Plus, I just love the sound!

Archived