Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - The Best Sandwich?

Dave Bryce

Yup, not many places make a decent stromboli. Two sandwiched slices of pizza it is not. One place here uses four slices of italian bread and sprinkles mozerella and pepperoni on it, cost me $6 and it was terrible.

The proper stromboli is homemade bread pocket stuffed with meat and cheese, dipped in tomato sauce. One place back home makes it; I moved away to a new job and have yet to find a place that makes proper stromboli.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about a gyro? Its got to be a contender.

Sliced lamb off the lamb mold rotating thing, pita bread, onions, thinly sliced tomatoes and a lot of tzatziki sauce (hold the lettuce). Of course it must be ordered in an authentic Greek cafe.

Maybe with a greek salad on the side. Yum

Whaddaya mean maybe? Gotta have the greek salad, man.

I actually prefer the onions thinly sliced, and the tomatoes diced into chunks.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The proper stromboli is homemade bread pocket stuffed with meat and cheese, dipped in tomato sauce.
No, no - that's a calzone, I think.

As I've always understood it, a stromboli is rolled up, where a calzone is folded over.

Hey, I could be wrong...

dB

Good news. I think I figured out what I want for dinner tonight, thanks!

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I just remembered two more favorites:

1) Place in Portland, Maine called DeRozier's. It is an old school former pharmacy turned deli/soda shop that has been in the same family for over 100 years. They make a sandwich called a "Toasty." It starts with fresh white rolls, not really sub rolls, but more like a large yeasty dinner roll. First they put on a chunky diced tomato mixture with spices, then thin pepperoni, then cheese, then a meat of your choice (they have everything...the sandwich is the same other than the meat you choose), then more pepperoni and then cheese again. They put this through an oven and bake it till the bread is crusty, the 'roni sizzles and the cheese is melted. Yum.

2) The "Whip McCord" from a place called Bogart's in town. We actually went there for family dinner tonight for the first time in a few years. This is a hybrid sandwich, but listed on their sandwich menu. Potato pancake, kind of like a crepe, with corned beef, pastrami, swiss, sauerkraut and sour cream. It comes out extremely hot with the pancake kind of folded over and around the meat and cheese. Wow.

I'm from Portland, ME but never heard of DeRozier's. I'll have to look out for it the next time I make a visit back home.

Actually, it may be Freeport...I apologize. It is not far from LL Bean. I may have a photo of it someplace. Basically a turn of the century building on the main drag, but looks a little tattered from the outside. Great food and good people inside. The guy who made our sandwiches said he was the 5th generation of DeRozier kids working there.

HELL YES BUSY BEE. I thought I was alone in my appreciation of that place and didn't think anyone else represented from that close to where I live. Thanks for posting Superboy.

I love their meatball and their BBQ chicken. I haven't tried their Philly Cheesesteak. I am thinking I'll go there tomorrow and maybe report back on it.

Well, it's not really a cheesesteak at Busy Bee, I think they just call it a steak sandwich. But nothing beats the BBQ chicken, or, if I'm hungry enough, the Chicken/Sausage Belly Buster.

Shoot, had I known you were going, i might have met you there. Maybe some other time.

I did indeed visit the Bee today, but I aborted my philly cheesesteak plans after laying eyes on the BBQ chicken. It was freaking wonderful. So were the freaking wonderful San Pedro girls that cut in front of me in line. :crazy: Pedro girls are so beautiful.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

White House subs in Atlantic City is the best around these parts....

I love White House. If you wanna talk Jersey shore, I'm also big time into Dino's in Ventnor.

There's a sub shop in the Sports Book of the Las Vegas Hilton called Las Vegas Subs that's supposedly owned by White House. They make an excellent cheesesteak. :thu:

dB

The proper stromboli is homemade bread pocket stuffed with meat and cheese, dipped in tomato sauce.
No, no - that's a calzone, I think.

As I've always understood it, a stromboli is rolled up, where a calzone is folded over.

Hey, I could be wrong...

Calzone and stromboli are the same except calzones have no meat, it's just cheese.

I'm spoiled on reeeeeeally good italian food. I grew up near Binghamton which is home to at least seven mom-and-pop italian restaurants, they are awesome. Some of them make an awesome pesto sauce, the acid test of great italian cooking. We're talking the olive oil based pesto, not the easier-to-make alfredo stuff. Olive Garden was a joke there. I got a new job and had to move, and there's not much here with the same caliber as the italian restaurants back home. Looks like I'm going to have to start making homemade italian more often.

Calzone and stromboli are the same except calzones have no meat, it's just cheese.
Are ya sure? I've seen lots of "calzones" with meat....the Where are you getting your info?

What do you call the one that's rolled up before baking? They're usually not very big, and have to be baked real slow, but they're wonderful. To the best of my knowledge, those are strombolis...but like I said, I could be wrong....

dB

[kal-ZOH-nay, kahl-SOH-neh] Originating in Naples, calzone is a stuffed pizza that resembles a large turnover. It is usually made as an individual serving. The fillings can be various meats, vegetables or cheese; mozzarella is the cheese used most frequently. Calzones can be deep-fried or brushed with olive oil and baked.

[strahm-BOH-lee] A specialty of Philadelphia, a stromboli is a calzonelike enclosed sandwich of cheese (usually mozzarella) and pepperoni (or other meat) wrapped in pizza dough.

Calzones = turnover

Stromboli = rolled

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

My vote is for a Philly Cheese Steak.

However, I never could figure out why they put white American cheese on the Philly cheese steaks.

We had our own "Italian" version in NE PA when I was growing up.

Chip Steak (or sliced sirloin steak) friend onions, tomato sauce (preferably spaghetti sauce) instead of ketchup, Melted Provolone cheese, HOT peppers (Jalapeños or habaneras) that would toast your nostrils.

The sandwich was hot if you broke a sweat, and your nose started to run. :grin:

The sandwich was hot enough if it made your ears bleed. :eek:

Now that's an ITALIAN Cheesesteak.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Not many votes for pulled pork bbq sandwich, eh? Where's the southern contingent?

Here's my version of the NC/SC: NC vinegar bbq soaked cole slaw with SC mustard bbq sauce on top. Low and slow, baby. Low and slow.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/155863375_fe5af6233a.jpg

DeBowsa:

Looking at the healthy portion of baked beans, I can see where you get your GAS!

Pulled pork is great stuff. I'd love to try the version you have pictured. Its making me hungry. I'd skip the baked beans.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm a big fan of fish sandwiches, and so I eat them whenever a restaurant has them. The best I've ever had is at a place on Ocracoke Island, North Carolina called Jason's. It's a fried bluefish sandwich made from fish caught that morning. I like mine with cheese, and damn is it good.

We go to the Outer Banks frequently for vacation, and we always take the ferry over to Ocracoke Island.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Stepay:

Wow, the Outbanks is a HAUL from Columbus. When I was living in Northeastern PA, we went to the OB for a GREAT two week vacation. The water was so much cleaner than the Jersey Shore (well, I guess that's not difficult) white sand beaches, and not too crowded. Very relaxing, not too expensive (at least it wasn't 25 years ago) and GREAT food. We were fortunate enough to have almost every day we were there, sunny and warm.

Mike T.

"Best" in my case is what I routinely eat when I get home at 3am. I can slap these babies together in my sleep, and they're under 300 calories so I'm not going to bed bloated.

Chicken breast and artichokes on wheat with ketchup.

Stepay:

Wow, the Outbanks is a HAUL from Columbus. When I was living in Northeastern PA, we went to the OB for a GREAT two week vacation. The water was so much cleaner than the Jersey Shore (well, I guess that's not difficult) white sand beaches, and not too crowded. Very relaxing, not too expensive (at least it wasn't 25 years ago) and GREAT food. We were fortunate enough to have almost every day we were there, sunny and warm.

Mike T.

Mike,

Yep it's a haul, but so worth it. On the way there we break it up into two days -- stay over in Richmond, Va. Once to the Outer Banks, we always stay at the Lighthouse View Motel in Buxton -- we usually go with other family members and rent one of their houses. Very cost effective that way -- if three familes go and we stay in their largest house, it's a little over $700 per family; for a week-long vacation there, that's very inexpensive. On the way home, we drive straight through -- it's about 13 hours.

Love the Outer Banks.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Stepay:

Yeah, that's pretty cheap. You can hardly rent any kind of room these days for that much money. Provided you can stand all the people being around all the time, thats a great plan.

The last time I drove down to the Outer Banks, it took me a little over 10 hours, but that was from NE PA and there's a quick link to the Interstate from there, so it was a straight shot.

We stayed in an efficiency right on the beach, in a room that was the closest to the ocean. We could get up in the morning and walk out on the balcony and sip our coffee. We stayed at the Pebble Beach and they had their own pool too.

The rooms were very inexpensive back then. We had planned on staying a week, but once we got there, we stayed for two. We went to the Wright Brother's museum while we were there. Every day on the beach, took my lady shopping, every night out to dinner. Awesome.

Mike T.

Not many votes for pulled pork bbq sandwich, eh? Where's the southern contingent?

Here's my version of the NC/SC: NC vinegar bbq soaked cole slaw with SC mustard bbq sauce on top. Low and slow, baby. Low and slow.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/155863375_fe5af6233a.jpg

OK, I have to admit that I love a good pulled pork sandwich, but cole slaw is one of those things that I really hate about 97% of the time, and can't see why anyone would want to put it on something as delicious as pulled pork. We don't get Carolina style Bar-B-Que around these parts, mostly Memphis, Texas, or KC style. Might have to make a trip just to try it out. :thu:

That corn looks delectable.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Kanker:

When I heard what was on a Rubin Sandwich I thought "that doesn't sound good", then I tried one. Awesome. I think the plate of food pictured would be awesome. Well, without the beans. ;)

Mike T.

Went back to that italian restaurant and got the scoop.

Calzone = baked bread pocket stuffed with ricatta, provolone, mozzerella, no meat

Stromboli = baked bread pocket stuffed with mozzerella and meat. This place offers any three pizza meats in a stromboli, I had pepperoni, ham, and sausage. Mmmmmm

I've treated friends there in the past and they said those were real strombolis.

Went back to that italian restaurant and got the scoop.

Calzone = baked bread pocket stuffed with ricatta, provolone, mozzerella, no meat

Stromboli = baked bread pocket stuffed with mozzerella and meat. This place offers any three pizza meats in a stromboli, I had pepperoni, ham, and sausage. Mmmmmm.

:idea::)

==

Dictionary.com sez:

cal·zo·ne [kal-zoh-ney, -nee, -zohn; It. kahl-zaw-ne] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

noun Italian Cookery.

a turnover made of pizza dough, usually containing cheese, prosciutto, and herbs or garlic and either baked or fried

Wikipedia sez:

A calzone, sometimes referred to as a stuffed pizza, is an Italian turnover made from pizza dough and stuffed with cheese (usually mozzarella cheese and Ricotta, but some varieties contain Parmesan, Provolone, or a locally substituted cheese), meat, vegetables, or a variety of other stuffings. The dough is folded over, sealed on one edge, baked (or occasionally deep-fried), and often served with marinara sauce (a sauce based on tomatoes and basil) or bolognese sauce (a meat sauce). In Italy the stuffing is almost always tomato, cheese and ham, and the calzone is never served with a sauce.

Here's a nice recipe for a Stromboli. It's the first one that came up when I googled "stromboli". Check out the pretty pictures of the assembly process... :D

Here's what Wikepedia has to say:

Stromboli, often referred to as a stuffed pizza or a boli, is a type of turnover filled with mozzarella cheese along with various fillings, often pepperoni. The dough is pizza dough and a stromboli is cooked in the same way as regular pizza. Stromboli is reported to have originated in 1950 in Essington, just outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at Romano's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria, by Nazzareno Romano. There, William Schofield supposedly gave it the name, after the movie Stromboli, starring Ingrid Bergman. Other sources claim the stromboli was the brainchild of Mike Aquino, Sr. and that he created it in Spokane, Washington in 1954.

However, some say that it originated in Stromboli, an island in Italy. Stromboli can now be found in many pizza shops alongside more common pizza varieties.

Stromboli are similar to calzones, but traditionally the two are distinct dishes, as stromboli usually contain only mozzarella cheese, while calzones contain a cheese mixture (often including ricotta) and tend to lack marinara sauce. Moreover, Stromboli is rolled to resemble a loaf, whereas a calzone is folded to resemble a semi-circle.

==

You might want to allow for the possibility that the one restaurant on which you seem to be basing your assertions may not be providing you with accurate information. ;)

dB

Lobster Rolls I think I managed to have a decent one at the folk music festival in Bangor, but the ones at MickyD's were exactly what you'd expect. :(

Pulled Pork I first experienced this delight in the Atlanta area. One place had a special oven to slow cook the pork and it is the gold standard by which I judge all others. None of the chain restaurants up here even come close. It was a treat when I was back in Atlanta for a reunion and was offered to "get you some barbeque". ;)

Fish Sandwich I don't mind the fried cod on American cheese variety, but I prefer spicy catfish.

Only for the real seafood lover...soft shelled crab sandwich.http://www.scientificpsychic.com/alpha/travel/softshellcrab.jpg

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Archived