Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - The Best Sandwich?

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Laurie Z.:

My favorite sandwich when I was growing up must have been a local favorite or something, because I've never heard of anyone out here coming up with this.

Laurie, you must have grown up on Alpha Centuri or somewhere, cause I ain't never heard of a PB&B in my life until this moment! :D:D:D

- Jeff

P.S. Chunky peanut butter, honey and banana on thick whole wheat. Must have an entire quart of milk handy.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? I thought everyone had heard that Elvis's favorite sandwich was PB, bacon, and banana grilled in margarine.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

[QB]Peanut butter and Bacon. Yummmmmmm. I have no idea why I like this but it's incredible.../QB]

Ewwww. Ewwwww. Ewwwww. Ewwwwww. Ewwwwww.

This combination has to cause some type of psychotic episode. Is that how you write such lovely songs? By getting spaced out on peanut butter and bacon sandwiches? :eek:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This week on 20/20 pianist and composer Laurie Z., in her first interview in years reveals to Barbara Walters how an odd addiction to peanut butter and bacon destroyed her life.

Barbara- " When did you realize you had a problem?"

Laurie Z.-" The keys of my piano became so clogged with peanut butter and grease I had to spend thousands of dollars to have it repaired. It was only through the help of my piano technician, a wonderful man called The Wewus that I was able to face my problem."

Barbara-" Fascinating!"

and now this..................

As a Beantown native, I will second (or third?) the Grindah - one just can't get a true grilled sandwich like that here on the West coast. Don't even get me started on the pizza out here! :mad:

One of the best sandwiches I've ever had was a lobster roll from a little shack next to the bridge connecting Wisscasset & Edgecomb in Maine. I used to go camping there with my girlfriend every summer, and that was the treat on the way to the campsite. :thu:

Don

Major fave late night snack -

(Chunky) PB&J on a toasted English Muffin, ice cold glass 'o milk.

Hey! That was my breakfast this morning. I usually do the protien/fruit shake thing, but I was in a hurry this morning so - PB&H on a toasted english muffin.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Originally posted by MusicWorkz:

...but I personally prefer Geno's mushroom whizsteak without (in Phillyease: Steak with cheese whiz, mushrooms, without onions). Steaks and hoagies HAVE to be on fresh Amorosi long rolls to be authentic, though (makes ALL the difference in the world)

[QB]

THAT was the place we ate at, Geno's!! I had my doubts about Cheez Whiz but they were great (even at 10:00 Sunday morning).

And here's a trick for your next portobello sandwich: cook it on the grill, and every time you flip it over dip it in balsamic vinegar (not the $89/bottle elixer, use the cheep stuff with the dusty Duke on the bottle), heaven!

However, the single best sandwich I've ever had was from an unknown street vendor in Venice (Venezia). It was a great roll, some kind of lettuce, an unknown spiced Italian lunchmeat, tomato, and a thick slice of FRESH mozzerella (not the plastic waxy crap you get here in the States). I've never had better. :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Does a hand-roll in a sushi place count as a sandwich? I mean, the seaweed is acting like the bread, right?

Well, down at Takasushi in Santa Monica, I used to get a special hand roll made of spicy tuna, with cucumber, avocado and an asparagus shoot. I know, it sounds weird, but it was so damn good that my mouth waters any time I even think of it.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Well, down at Takasushi in Santa Monica, I used to get a special hand roll made of spicy tuna, with cucumber, avocado and an asparagus shoot.

Mmmmm - Takasushi spicy tuna roll...I haven't thought about that place in a while...

Now I'm gonna have to go there. Maybe I'll see if KB wants to go - it wouldn't be the same without him...you in, Klop?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

you in, Klop?

Sounds great. I'd love to hang with KB...I find I miss him and his perspective.

I also miss the special hand roll at Takasushi. Hell, I haven't even been near the 3rd Street Promenade since...well, back then. :)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Rabid:

[QB]Peanut butter and Bacon. Yummmmmmm. I have no idea why I like this but it's incredible.../QB]

Ewwww. Ewwwww. Ewwwww. Ewwwwww. Ewwwwww.

This combination has to cause some type of psychotic episode. Is that how you write such lovely songs? By getting spaced out on peanut butter and bacon sandwiches? :eek:

Robert

Between you and WEWUS, I was ROFLMAO!

I knew I'd get some smackin' around for this. But believe me - it's REALLY good, and if it was less fat-intensive, I'd have it more often. Now, it's only a special occasion sammich.

So on my birthday, I'd like a Soy PB and Turkey Bacon on wheat, please!

:P

But you can keep that nasty thing Elvis used to eat - probably contributed to his early demise, yes?

lz

ps - Jeff, sushi sounds great to me too...but some people won't go near it - which proves.... something!?!

I was always partial to the cheese sub from Cousins based out of Milwaukee, Wi. The secret is the bread, I used to buy it seperatly,(yes it was on the menu), and bring it back on the plane. I kind out doubt I could do that now. Just by wierd coincidence a Cousins sprung in Van Nuys a little while ago. The bread hasn't changed, bread is the base of a sandwich. The other type of sub they have are pretty good also. The arrival of Cousins out here should serve as a warning to sub-standard sub joints,(and we all know what they are!)

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

• 4 months later...

I made this last week, and damn is was good.. :thu:

Steak Sandwich on Toasted Garlic Bread with Tomato-Black Olive Relish

Steak:

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, smashed

8 (1-inch) thick slices of Italian bread

1 porterhouse steak, about 2 pounds

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Tomato-Black Olive Relish:

2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced

3 tablespoons pitted and chopped Nicoise olives

2 tablespoons finely sliced basil

2 tablespoons finely diced red onion

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Assemble:

Arugula

Toasted Italian bread

Sliced steak

Tomato-Olive Relish

Skillet Fries:

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large red onion, thinly sliced

1 large red bell pepper, finely diced

1 large yellow bell pepper, finely diced

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, skin on, parboiled and diced

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

For the Steak: Mix together 1/4 cup of olive oil and the garlic and let rest for 30 minutes. Preheat broiler. Brush both sides of the bread with the garlic oil, place on a baking sheet and broil for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until lightly golden brown. Heat grill pan over high heat until smoking. Brush steak on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown on 1 side, turn over, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking to medium-rare doneness, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, let rest 10 minutes and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.

For the Tomato-Black Olive Relish: Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

To assemble: Place arugula on 4 slices of toast. Top with several slices of steak and a large spoonful of relish. Top with the remaining bread slices.

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

i dig a VEGAN REUBEN - that's great rye bread, trader joes sourkraut, fake cheese n fake meat, all smothered w/some french dressing, and cooked up in a frying pan w/some margarine! omg its amazing, at least to my 10 + years of non-meat / cheese eating self. total delight!

I have to say the best I had was in some soul food place in atalanta one night. Don't know the name but it was some chicken turkey thing that probally knocked three years off my heart. Also might have been the after gig gotta make it New Orlins real quick, I aint driving the van so one too many drinks that helped.

Over all the best for me is a good fresh bread with a little prosciutto and that is it.

Nutella anyone, the chocolate Fluff

Names to Remember:

Charles Stepney & Emory Cook

Ok, I'm late to the thread, but here's two things..

In San Francisco, Molinari\'s Italian Deli is spectacular. You walk in, choose a fresh-baked roll (really fresh-baked) from the bins near the deli counter, hand it to one of the sandwich magicians, pick your sandwich ingredients, and MMMMM!! Nothing quite like it anywhere I've been in that part of the world. I usually get the Basil Turkey Special...

About 2900 miles away, In Clearwater Beach Florida is one of the greatest sandwiches in the country (IMHO): Frenchy's Cajun Grouper Burger. Only the Frenchy\'s Salt Water Cafe location does it right, and DAMN! it's good. It's fresh grouper, grilled in cajun seasonings, topped with parmasean and romano cheeses, tomato, some kind of sauce, and maybe some other lovely stuff that I just can't conjure right now .. . all on a soft onion roll, served with a pickle and chips. .. No description can do it justice.

ok... I've got myself psyched up. .. tonight I'm going to Frenchy's, and next week, I'll have to go to Molinari's... it's good to be bicoastal.

-dave

DAVE GREENBERG

SONOPOD MASTERING

Originally posted by bitdump:

Over all the best for me is a good fresh bread with a little prosciutto and that is it.

Nutella anyone, the chocolate Fluff

:thu: Big thumbs up to both the prosciutto AND the nutella, though not on the same sandwich.

Originally posted by dave-G:

In San Francisco, Molinari\'s Italian Deli is spectacular. You walk in, choose a fresh-baked roll (really fresh-baked) from the bins near the deli counter, hand it to one of the sandwich magicians, pick your sandwich ingredients, and MMMMM!! Nothing quite like it anywhere I've been in that part of the world. I usually get the Basil Turkey Special...

There's a place across the Bay in Oakland that has a very similar buzz - it's on Telegraph, right near Leo's...not sure of the name - I wanna say...Gennaro's, maybe?

It's okay, I don't need the name - I know exactly where it's located. :love:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Since I am drawing a blank from my travels regarding sandwiches, I'll just rattle off a few places in NJ that are pretty damn good:

Lotito's Deli - Nutley & Ramsey

Great Wazoo - East Hanover

Joey's Pizza - Belleville

Iberia Peninsula - Newark

Clemente Bakery - South Hackensack

Non-Sandwiches

Callahan's - Little Ferry (Dogs)

Rutt's Hut - Clifton (Dogs)

Stuarts - many locations (Dogs)

Windmill - Jersey Shore (Dogs)

White Castle

Cubby's BBQ - Hackensack

Hot Dog Johnny's - Lambertville

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

• 4 years later...

Since posting in this thread in 2002, I've added the Lobster Roll to my list of favorite sandwiches. Seems they are only available in Maine. I was up there for a family vacation and had several Lobster Rolls. Street vendors all over the place are selling them and all of them are delicious.

Still love my Whole Hot Grinder from Zero's.

Archived