Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - The Best Sandwich?

Dave Bryce

My two favorite contradictions in life:

1) The Belgians speak better French than the French.

2) The best Philly cheesesteaks are made in New Jersey... at a little pizza and hoagie place in Lawrenceville called TJs.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right now, the Grilled Onion Cheeseburger at Mickey D`s is pretty good. The sub shop that sold the Ney York Hot Links went out of business and I lost 15 pounds. Them was some good links. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by ksoper:

Yeah, for this South Jersey kid the cheesesteak wins, hands down. There was a place though, I think it was on Oregon Ave, called DiNicks that had a roast pork sandwich that would really get your attention. And the "boys" that I hung out with from South Philly preferred Geno's over Pat's. I don't think those fellas even made it as far north as South St.

God, I'm salivating.

K.

DiNicks (Dinic's) has a spot in The Reading Terminal, too...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Originally posted by Postman:

[QB]My two favorite contradictions in life:

1) The Belgians speak better French than the French.[QB]

The Belgians speak better Dutch than the Dutch as well.
:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

All you Philly guys are killing me. My in-laws lived on Spruce St. bet. 15th & 16th for most of the '90s. I think I used to put on 5 lbs. walking through the Reading Terminal Market on the way to 8th St. Music! And one more pound stopping for a Bassett's ice cream on the walk back!

A deli here in S.B. called Garrett's Whale Tail occasionally does this thing called a hot chicago club: corned beef, bacon, and turkey with lotsa melted swiss, avocado (obligatory because we're in CA), 1000 island, lettuce, tomato, and black olives. That's probably my favorite sandwich that I can get locally. For the most part, we don't have sandwiches here. We have ... panini.

Although I once ordered a burger at this new place uptown, and I separated the buns to find not a meat patty, but a note saying that the meat patty was expected in Q3 2002, when the v 2.0 hamburger came out. Come to find out this place was run buy guys who used to make DAW software. :eek::D:eek::D

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Pim:

Originally posted by Postman:

[QB]My two favorite contradictions in life:

1) The Belgians speak better French than the French.[QB]

The Belgians speak better Dutch than the Dutch as well.
OK, so let's all agree that Belgians are just superior to everyone else at everything.* :D

* Such a shame there aren't any Belgians on these forums. They're so tweakable.

Cheese steaks are gross.

My idea of a great sandwich is a poached egg and melted cheese on an English muffin. Or a bagel with cream cheese and lox - there's a place here in Atlanta that serves those with capers on them. Never heard of that before but BOY is it yummy.

Another of my favorite restaurants serves grilled portabello mushroom with provalone, lettuce, tomato and PESTO SAUCE... on Italian bread... YUM.

Smoked turkey, Swiss and gouda cheeses on a French roll with a little horseradish is quite yummy as well.

Oh yeah, and don't EVER put mayonaisse on anything you expect me to eat. Ever. :D

--Lee

mmmmm . .. Lee's Portabello mushroom, bla bla bla pesto sandwitch sounds yummy.

Some of my favorites:

1. Fresh thanksgiving turkey, cranberry sauce, salt & pepper on a Kaiser roll - crisp iceberg lettuce optional.

2. Reuben - Corned beef or Pastrami, Sourkraut, sharp cheddar cheese, Thousand Island dressing and a dill pickel on Rye bread. Grilled.

3. Classic Ham and Swiss on Rye - with Dijon mustard.

Now - what is the best soup to server with it? My favorite these days would be a cuban style black bean soup.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Cheese steaks are gross.

What???!!!??? Oh my gawd, I used to respect Lee. Now, I don't know what to think anymore. My entire image of her is shattered. ;)

Another of my favorite restaurants serves grilled portabello mushroom with provalone, lettuce, tomato and PESTO SAUCE... on Italian bread... YUM.
Well, pesto on anything rules.

Smoked turkey, Swiss and gouda cheeses on a French roll with a little horseradish is quite yummy as well.
Again, I'm very partial to anything with horseradish.

Oh yeah, and don't EVER put mayonaisse on anything you expect me to eat. Ever.
Oh, man. So disappointed. I love the lady's guitar playing but I can't deal with the mayonaisse hatred. This would be grounds for a divorce under "irreparable differences" if we were married. :)

Mayonaisse rules. :P

- Jeff

I put a turkey breast in a baking bag with garlic, butter, salt, pepper and spices. Bake it slow until done. Afterwards I slice it, put the slices in a pan and pour the juice over and store overnight in the refrigerator. This allows the slices or turkey to absorb liquid and become moist. To make the sandwiches next day arrange slices of turkey in an oven pan. Top with provolone cheese and bake. Add bacon, baby spinach, tomato and ranch dressing for my favorite hot sandwich. :D

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Nice, fresh roll, fried onions, WHITE American cheese, and ketchup
Puke...sugar is for dessert man...put down the ketchup.

IMO...the very best sandwiches are made in Boston...any Boston deli will serve you the best damn Grinder you've ever had, blows away Philly Cheesesteak. Man I miss those.

Give Rabid the prize...Gotta try that one...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

IMO...the very best sandwiches are made in Boston...any Boston deli will serve you the best damn Grinder you've ever had, blows away Philly Cheesesteak. Man I miss those.
BOSTON!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!!!!!??? :eek::eek::eek:

Dude, they can't even get the name right up there - they call it a Steak and Cheese. I always asked them how come they didn't say Burger and Cheese, too... :rolleyes:

I mean, c'mon, these are people who can't even pronounce the letter R unless it gets moved to the end of a words where it DOESN'T belong - you gonna trust them to make you a sandwich? ;):D

Yeesh.

Go to Philly, Learn what a real sandwich is all about.. NYC is home to some pretty outstanding sandwiches too.

It's all in the bread, you know... :thu::cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

As many of you know, I think the best sandwich is a Real Actual Philly cheesesteak. Nice, fresh roll, fried onions, WHITE American cheese, and ketchup

I go with a Philly Cheesesteak, but I've never had a "real" one. The place I get them from (In Westlake Mall food court of all places!) has the nice fresh roll, burn your fingers cheddar cheese, steak and a perfect slice of bacon. Not to mention the fresh cut fries on the side! :love::thu:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I mean, c'mon, these are people who can't even pronounce the letter R unless it gets moved to the end of a words where it DOESN'T belong - you gonna trust them to make you a sandwich? ;)

I have no idear what Dave's takking about heah. :)

Dave and I both spent some time in Boston (not together) back in the big '80s. He was shlepping music gear at a dealer, and I was spending my short stint at Berklee. I'll have to say that I did not have the best sandwich experiences there, but I always liked the "east coast thin slice dripping with grease" pizza I couldd get there. You can not get good pizza in L.A., and don't try and convince me otherwise. It just doesn't exist.

- Jeff

In the 80s you guys were there...that's when I was there...85 to be exact...I was studying around the corner at New England Conservatory, but I was living in Waltham.

I don't care what you guys thought of the Grindahs...I loved them...I'm strange...maybe I just loved the city and the time I spent there so much it's got me biased.

My parents were both born and raised in Waltham...I hated Waltham when I lived there...I have no found memories of that shitty suburb at all but I LOVED THE CITY OF BOSTON.

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Oh, man. So disappointed. I love the lady's guitar playing but I can't deal with the mayonaisse hatred. This would be grounds for a divorce under "irreparable differences" if we were married. :)

Oh come on, Jeff! At least we agree on pesto and horseradish! Can't we work out a compromise? I'd let you keep mayo in the fridge so long as I don't have to eat it. :D

And to be fair, I don't eat beef or pork so that explains why I think cheesesteaks are gross. I don't, however, preach to other people what to eat and am not bothered by carnivores.

Surely there's still hope for us Jeff? :)

--Lee

A simple but yummy one:

A ciabatta cut in half, FRESH pesto - not that crap they sell in little jars - put in on the ciabatta and cover it with old Gouda chesse. Put it in the oven until the cheese is molten, mmmmm...

You can also add tomatoes or ham.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

There's a sub shop in Va Beach right across from Peabody's Club called Zero's. They have a sandwich which I order as the "whole hot grinder with hot peppers" -- it is really good. The band plays at Peabody's and there's usually time for dinner. We flock over there and most everyone gets this sandwich. It is legendary. We've been eating them for close to 15 years and they are very consistently delicious.

It has some kind of italian meat combination and fresh sub roll. They send it through an oven and the bread gets crispy and the edges of the meat are likewise a little crisp. There is a nice vinegar sauce with lettuce and tomatoes and the peppers are a home-grown mash that are shredded into little pieces. Wow, it really is amazing.

Sometimes I sneak over on set break for a "half hot grinder" and wolf it down quickly.

I think Zero's may be a chain shop as I have seen a couple of them around...but none can top the Whole Hot Grinder from Va Beach Zero's.

I have taken some people there and told them to get it. We're talking major philly cheesesteak freaks. Once they try the grinder, they are addicted. I love cheesesteaks too, but this sandwich just rocks.

We're talking semi-fast food here and I usually would prefer to dine in a nice venue (especially when you can get it "on the house" via the gig such as oysters rockefeller and crabcakes), but I would choose this sandwich over almost any other food if it was the last thing I could eat.

Wow, my stomach is growling. I will be in that neck of the woods for a gig tomorrow so maybe I'll try to go 15 miles out of my way to get one...

Regards,

Eric

I have a feeling I may never live this one down, but....

My favorite sandwich when I was growing up must have been a local favorite or something, because I've never heard of anyone out here coming up with this. I still love it, but I have to modify it now due to fat content (HIGH) and red meat (no longer eating it)...

Peanut butter and Bacon. Yummmmmmm. I have no idea why I like this but it's incredible. When I feel like a treat, I use soy peanut butter from Trader Joe's and turkey bacon - high in sodium, but what they heck.

Casey's sandwich sounds great too, and you can't go wrong with a bagel, lox 'n cream cheese, either....but I've never really considered it a sandwich - it's more like breakfast to me. BLT's are really good too, but the winner for me is...

PB and bacon.

Ummm - interesting topic, dB! ;)

lz

Along those same lines, one of my wife's favorites is grape jelly and bacon on wheat toast. Usually when we have breakfast food (which is a 2x per month staple for dinners), we have omelets, grits, pancakes or waffles, bacon and toast. My wife breaks out the jelly and makes a toast, jelly and bacon sandwich and loves it.

I don't go for it but I do like bacon and maple syrup...

Regards,

Eric

Archived