Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is your favorite Keyboardist???

Subpar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JS Bach, Duke Ellington, Alice Coltrane, and most of all the inimitable Cat Nightshade.

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Rock:

Keith Emerson

Tony Banks

Jazz:

Chick Corea

Lyle Mays

Mario Parmisano (Al Dimeola)

There's lots more who I really like as well, but these are the guys whose touch is gold for me.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

BTW, for me it's parbly Bill Evans in jazz (holy music in my family), Billy Payne for multi-purpose rock and rootsy stuff, And Steve Nieve for a punk baroque racket and cheesy organ. For synth sounds and playing, hmmm, Dave Bryce? Or Zawinul. or Bernie Worrell.

Fact is, I don't like keyboards much. What the hell am I doing here?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Originally posted by steadyb:

Pete Townsend

I thought that was all Rabbit Bundrick.

Or are you just being Steadyb again? :evil:

No, not in regards to live, I mean his synthesizer stuff (Baba O Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who are You, Eminence Front, etc.)

I think he's totally overlooked as to his use of synths in most of the Who's greatest and most famous songs.

Some of my favorites:

*Chick Corea

*Herbie Hancock

*Lyle Mays (Pat Metheny Band)

*George Duke

*David Garfield

*Steve Porcaro (ex. Toto, sessions....)

*David Paich (Toto, sessions...)

*Eythor Gunnarson (from the Icelandic band mezzoforte)

*Bruce Hornsbye

*David Sancious (years with Sting)

*Kenny Kirkland (years with Sting

*Paul Wagnberg (from "The real thing)

Some great ones have been mentioned. My faves:

Lyle Mayes

Keith Emerson

Chick Corea

Michael MacDonald

Steve Porcaro

David Paich

Bruce Hornsby

Billy Joel

Richard Tee

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

The main faves are:

Gregg Allman

Billy Powell

Taz Digregorio (w/Charlie Daniels Band)

Michael McDonald

Jerry Lee Lewis

Billy Joel

Second runner-ups go to:

Steve Walsh

Rick Wakeman

Jimmy Smith

Joey DeFrancesco

Keith Emerson

probably more to come....

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Keith Emerson - hands down. Did it all - organ, piano, synth. So versitile, technically adept, creative, emotive, pioneering, not lacking balls.

Conspicuously missing from this list and high on my list:

Rod Argent

Brian Auger

Jan Hammer (pre-Miami Vice)

Also have to throw in a vote for my college jazz piano teacher, source of great inspiration, and Emmy Award-nominated composer Jay Flippin.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Funny. When I see posts about keyboardists I read Keith Emerson, Pete Townsend, Stevie Wonder. But when I see posts about jazz piano players it's mainly McCoy, Jarrett, Hancock, Corea and not the older ones. Yeah, Bill Evans and Monk, way cool! But what about Teddy Wilson or Art Tatum (he's evil). Or Nat "king" Cole? He's too much known for his singing, which is beautiful too (check out Nat "king" Cole live at The Sands), but his work with his trio in the '40s is truly amazing.

See, there's too many of 'em. :)

BTW, who's playing keys on EWF '70s recordings? Especially keys on "I am" are incredible!

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

BTW, who's playing keys on EWF '70s recordings? Especially keys on "I am" are incredible![/qb] That would be Larry Dunn.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Superbobus, I think the use of the word "keyboardist" in the thread title subtly steered some of us away from a litany of jazz piano greats. Perhaps that's why we see more Herbies and Chicks than Tatums and Wilsons.

Believe me, plenty of people here know those dudes inside and out, though I'm not really one (get Marino discoursing on jazz pi ano some time--it's a real treat). Dave's a big Tatum fan, right? And on and on.

So thanks for bringing them up, but don't assume the people ain't hep ;)

I want to add to my indiosyncratic list of faves:

Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Terry Adams, John Linnell and Marian McPartland

Originally posted by steadyb:

[QB[/qb]

No, not in regards to live, I mean his synthesizer stuff (Baba O Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who are You, Eminence Front, etc.)

I think he's totally overlooked as to his use of synths in most of the Who's greatest and most famous songs.[/QB]

I didn't know Pete was behind The Who's synth use. That's cool. It is very distinctive stuff. I guess I just assumed there was a Nicky Hopkins/Billy Preston figure on the fringe of The Who, a fifth whom.

Pete's not a bad guitarist either. A right God, I'd say. I prefer him to the vast majority of the Brit. Inv. crowd.

Yep...I'm a Art Tatum fan but I didn't get to hear him until I'd already been exposed heavily to Herbie...so while I respect him as an incredible (surely one of the best) piano player, do to timing Herbie, Keith J., Chick, etc. had more impact on my playing. There's about 25 or so guys I haven't mentioned that I also love. Bud Powell...amazing.

Believe me, plenty of people here know those dudes inside and out, though I'm not really one (get Marino discoursing on jazz pi ano some time--it's a real treat). Dave's a big Tatum fan, right? And on and on.

So thanks for bringing them up, but don't assume the people ain't hep

Didn't assume anything, just noticed these dudes were still not mentioned. Told you there's too many of them keys players... ;)

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

no particular order....

David Sancious

Kit Watkins

Frank Wyatt

Kenny Drew Jr.

Kenny Kirkland

Dave Stewart

Brian Eno

George Duke

Herbie Hancock

Jan Hammer

Tony Banks