Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is your favorite Keyboardist???

Subpar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, whats with the Jon Lord thing??

i admit that i dont know much deep purple but hell all i've ever heard him play is a couple of chords. what songs of are worth listening to with him?

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Jon Lord just rocks...he put his Hammond through a large Marshall Stack and 2 Leslies at the same time then he would just make the organ scream. Nothing technically brilliant but it always sounded good in context. Check out any live Deep Purple, he really went for it.

Also, and this is really important criteria for me...he ALWAYS kept improving as a player. The newer Deep Purple albums are really good...not just lame efforts from stars of the past...really progressive RocknRoll. On the new stuff Jon Lord plays some ripping lines, etc. with Steve Morse ala Dixie Dregs but Deep Purple/Metal style.

I highly encourage you to check out what Jon Lord has been doing the past 10+ years...and if Deep Purple is playing in a town near you anytime soon...GO SEE IT...no matter what you're into you won't be disappointed.

Unfortunately Jon retired from Deep Purple this year. He is touring with them in the UK as a farewell, but won't come this side of the Atlantic. Don Airey is replacing him full time.

The first two Deep Purple songs I heard were 'Highway Star' and 'Lazy'. From that day I have wanted to play the B3, and get that "Jon Lord" sound and speed. I had the privelege of seeing Purple live a few years ago and he was just amazing.

Unfortunately Jon retired from Deep Purple this year. He is touring with them in the UK as a farewell, but won't come this side of the Atlantic. Don Airey is replacing him full time.
Oh man that sucks...I was really hoping to see him again next time they came through. I saw them at Universal Amplitheater in 1998...it is amongst the greatest shows I've ever seen and I've seen some good ones. Of course it helped that Emerson, Lake and Palmer were opening. ;)

Starbaby,

Here's another perspective on Jon Lord. In contrast to Steve, I'm only familiar with Deep Purple's early stuff. By the time Machine Head rolled out I was doing other stuff. But my viewpoint is from someone who was playing organ in the late '60s which is why Jon Lord was a major influences for me (and many others) at that time.

Memory lane...January 1967 The Doors first album was released. The Doors were cool and playing combo organ was cool as well. But that didn't last for long. Also in 1967 Cream released "Disreali Gears" and Hendrix came on to the scene with "Are You Experienced." The sound was getting decidedly heavier and the trend seemed to be guitar groups WITHOUT keyboards. Organ players looked to be a dying breed. To the rescue came Jon Lord with Deep Purple's debut album "Shades of Deep Purple." One cut in particular, "Hush" showcased Lord's playing and with a sound that pretty much knocked out everyone. As the band progressed over the years Lord continued to go head-to-head with Deep Purple's innovative guitarist Ritchie Blackmore. Lord defined Hammond playing in a hard rock setting, IMHO.

For me, Shades of Deep Purple, Book of Taliesyn and Deep Purple in Rock are classics.

Busch.

Deep Purple played the JBL party at the House of Blues for the NAMM show 3 years ago. Dave Bryce and I were both there to see it and if I recall correctly our exact words (in unison) were...

"F U U U U U U C C K K K ! ! ! ! ! !"

Yeah, Jon Lord was that night.

The whole band rocked the HOB to the ground, all the original guys except Blackmore, and frankly Steve Morse was just the extra shot of adreneline Purple needed to completely blow away the entire audience. From start to finish it killed. One of my 5 all-time favorite concerts (out of over 500 or so).

Originally posted by steadyb:

Deep Purple played the JBL party at the House of Blues for the NAMM show 3 years ago. Dave Bryce and I were both there to see it and if I recall correctly our exact words (in unison) were...

"F U U U U U U C C K K K ! ! ! ! ! !"

Yeah, Jon Lord was that night.

The whole band rocked the HOB to the ground, all the original guys except Blackmore, and frankly Steve Morse was just the extra shot of adreneline Purple needed to completely blow away the entire audience. From start to finish it killed. One of my 5 all-time favorite concerts (out of over 500 or so).

Ah, you're in the know too :)

It's almost a secret how consistently good this band has been over the years...even more so the improvements they've made. I predict some day their last 3-4 albums will be even more remembered than the classic hits. The Album "Purpendicular" released in 1996 is an amazing Rock album, I highly recommend anyone who is a fan of the B3 to pick it up.

Especially in the early days (I wasn't even born then), Lord was the force behind Deep Purple, while Blackmore found his voice. Its a combo of his tone, his aggressiveness, his speed .. too many things. I agree Deep Purple (with MOrse) was one of the 3 best concerts I have ever seen. They started with "Fireball" what more can one want :)

Archived