Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NBA PLAYOFFS!

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

You should just give up now...it'll just be worse if you actually beat Boston and have to face a real team. :)

Good point. The Kings will be tough!!

Observation: With the exception of Divac, who was really sucking wind after hanging with Shaq all night, the Kings looked loose in the second game. They know that they can win this series, and they're having a good time.

The Lackers, on the other hand, look really stressed out, and with good reason. If they lose, they're going to be lambasted in the sports press. The Lackers have a lot of hype to live up to, and a threepeat is not an easy thing to do. I'll stick with my prediction of a seven game series, but don't be surprise if you see the Lackers start to unravel this weekend. The stress factor is high - consider Shaq's "cheating" remarks - and the Lacklusters are VERY capable of beating themselves.

You heard it here first.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by soapbox:

Originally posted on 04-20-2001 by Dave Bryce:

Okay, I have decided that this forum is way too well behaved.

Being a native Philadelphian, I just love a good scrap. I've done my best to start a few good flame wars, but it always ends up fizzling; and, as the moderator, there's only so far that I can go.

Little did Dave know that all he had to do, in order to create a little trash talking in this forum, was to start an NBA thread! :D
I find it rather odd Dave hasn't participated in this thread...what "the 76ers are out, no point in watching"?

:D

The thing i noticed with the Lakers is each time they break some kind of record like most playoffs wins on the road, most consecutive wins...etc they lose! Maybe the press is hyping those numbers too much and the Lakers feel the pressure ... I don't know!

Now that there's no record to break (I hope so) let's see how long before the threepeat :love:

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

I find it rather odd Dave hasn't participated in this thread...what "the 76ers are out, no point in watching"?

:D

I tried to suck Dave into my NHL playoff thread...he popped in, made a comment, and popped out. No Philly Flyers past the first round, so I guess that was that. :)

- Jeff

He's probably never had one of the "real" Philly cheesesteaks you can get at Staples Center. Steak, cheese, mushrooms, onions, greenpeppers, cilantro, avacado, tomato, lettuce, and picante sauce. :thu::thu::thu:

Hopefully, he'll come out and catch a game in the finals with me and Steve like last year.

I won't speak for Dave; but personally, I'm only wild about NFL football. I admit that I got pretty hyped up the two seasons ( 1975-76 and 1992-93 ) that the Suns made the NBA Finals. After all, when I was a child growing up in Phoenix, the Suns were the only pro team we had in any sport. I was also one of the lucky spectators who was at "THE game," considered by many as the most exciting ever played in basketball history: the triple overtime Suns vs. Celtics 1976 NBA Finals contest. My dad took me to that game as a high school graduation present. What a present! (BTW, The Suns went into triple overtime against the Bulls in the NBA Finals in 1993 as well.)

If only basketball were always that exhilarating!

As a moderate Lakers fan, the idea of a threepeat creates an odd mixture of excitement and boredom in me. On the one hand, a threepeat would be a milestone accomplishment for the Lakers. On the other hand, a threepeat would be a confirmation that the NBA needs more parity.

In the meantime, I'm having more fun watching you guys go at it! Now that's entertainment! :D

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:;)

I've been watching the games fer sure when I can - I've just been...a little busy, that's all. I do love championship hoop, though.

My problem (and the main reason why I haven't participated more in this thread) is that I really don't care who wins. I'm actually just enjoying the caliber of play, in both of the conference finals. I really like Paul Pierce (who was almost a Sixer!) and Antoine Walker, but having grown up in Philly I just have no choice but to hate the Celtics. The Nets are okay, I guess, but they don't crank my prop. The Kings are kinda hard to get behind; and, while I don't really mind the Lakers (despite the Philly upbringing again), I really really dislike Shaquille O'Neal. He bums me out. He's a big crybaby who gets away with way more physical stuff than he should, IMO.

I do give Kobe serious props, though...and, I'm actually a big Robery Horry fan as well.

Nonetheless, I really want to see the Lakers lose. A lot. Why? Mainly, to watch steadyb eat some serious crow.

Endless crow.

Crow burgers.

Crow casserole.

Crow steak sandwiches. With peppers, onions and mushrooms. And cilantro. :D;):D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

No Philly Flyers past the first round, so I guess that was that. :)

I'm keeping an eye on those games, too - especially the Western finals, since I think those are the two best teams. Certainly the two best goalies....

You know I wanna see the Wings and the Leafs in the finals. It's been a while since two of the original six teams in the NHL met in the Cup finals...1979 - Rangers/Habs I believe...

Like I said, I've been a bit short on time recently. It happens....

dB

I won't speak for Dave; but personally, I'm only wild about NFL football.

(snip)

In the meantime, I'm having more fun watching you guys go at it! Now that's entertainment! :D

Exactly! :thu:

I couldn't have said it better if I had tried. Thanks, Geoff.

dB

Originally posted by steadyb:

Steak, cheese, mushrooms, onions, greenpeppers, cilantro, avacado, tomato, lettuce, and picante sauce.

Dude, I've barely spent any time in Philadelphia and that list offends me! :D

And we know how Dave loves the green peppers! :thu:

- Jeff

As a moderate Lakers fan, the idea of a threepeat creates an odd mixture of excitement and boredom in me. On the one hand, a threepeat would be a milestone accomplishment for the Lakers. On the other hand, a threepeat would be a confirmation that the NBA needs more parity.

Bah! The Celtics won 7 straight titles during the 60's - that's a dynasty, and that's why the league started doing the parity thing.

3 in a row doesn't demand parity - it demands a better job on the part of other teams of both drafting and free agent signings.

As much as I hate Shaq and Kobe, they certainly do make a hell of a foundation to build a team on. The Lakers went out and got what they needed to complement that inside-out game in the free agent market and from the draft table. How can you fault them for that? Charlotte tried to go out and buy a team in the free agent market - look where it got them - out in the second round.

Owners need to stop looking so short term and set their sights on team-building. That's why the Celtics are in the Eastern finals - not because they got lucky, but because they're a good team that was built - even despite Rick Fox's defection to the Lakers, despite Reggie Lewis' death, despite a lot of things that the Celtics can point to as excuses to keep losing.

Look at the number of teams in the league that have one marquee player and a bunch of mediocre has-beens and wannabes to support them. Is it any wonder that the Sixers were out in the first round, really? One man does not a team make. Smart signings and smart drafting build teams. It can't be done in one offseason. The sooner teams like Charlotte, Miami, the Clippers, Minnesota, Toronto, etc. learn this, the sooner we'll have different teams winning every year, because GM's will sign and draft smart, instead of throwing money around trying to find the magic combo that will bring them titles.

Yeah, the Nets blew last night. Somebody but somebody has to step up and hit open shots on that team. Kittles and Van Horn are not consistent. They had a couple of chances to jump right back into that game but their perimeter shooting was abysmal. I'll be surprised if that series doesn't go 7.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Griffinator:

3 in a row doesn't demand parity - it demands a better job on the part of other teams of both drafting and free agent signings.

The Lakers went out and got what they needed to complement that inside-out game in the free agent market and from the draft table. How can you fault them for that?

Owners need to stop looking so short term and set their sights on team-building.

Exactly. (See: Portland, Dallas, New Jersey, Minnesota...)

At least the Spurs and kings have tried to build over time. Unfortunately for them, Jerry Buss, Jerry West, and Mitch Kupchak did it too...and did it better.

<>

Very well put Magpel, it actually got me to thinking....

Well Known Sacramento Fan = Tyra.

Well Known Laker Fan = Diane Cannon.

damn.

I bet there's lots of shrinkage in that LA locker room huh steady??

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Well Known Sacramento Fan = Tyra.

Tyra shows up at more Laker games than kings games.

And come the finals, maybe she'll bring C-Webb along to a few more Laker games.

Exactly. (See: Portland, Dallas, New Jersey, Minnesota...)

New Jersey?? Oh, yeah. I forgot about Todd MacCullough, certainly one of the blockbuster free agent signings of all time.

Seriously, how do the Nets fit this bill? Kidd came in a straight up trade for Marbury and galvanized a solid though certainly not spectular core of players assembled almost exlusively through the draft. All of their recent number ones see serious court time: Jefferson, Martin, Van Horn, Kittles. Is Yinka Dare out there somewhere? Or maybe Dennis Hobson? They didn't always fare so well in the past.

The guy I like is Aaron Williams--nice player. If Kidd stays past next year, they'll have the leverage to make good free agent signings ala the Lakers, but I don't see how Rod Thorn's approach to building this team has been at all short-sighted or celebrity-focused.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

magpel: I think he's pointing out the bungled draft - when NJ had a shot at Kobe and picked (who was that guy again?)

Scott, you're right, that is a favorite point of Steady's, but that list of teams looked more like a group known for over-spending on ill-conceived assemblages of star players (Blazers being at the top; T-Wolves probably there because of the Terrell Brandon and Joe Smith fiascos, Dallas by virtue of the trade for Van Exl and LaFrenz. In that group, the Nets don't make sense.

As for Kobe, yeah, it happens, esp. when you're looking at a bunch of 17 and 18 old year olds and trying to figure out who is blue chip. For Every Kobe, McGrady and Garnett, Jonathan Benders, who may yet prove himself, of course.

Sam Bowie. Need I say more.

Originally posted by Magpel:

Seriously, how do the Nets fit this bill?

They don't. I just wanted to see if you (or Dan) were paying attention.
hehe.

By the way, would you say that Byron Scott was the 6th best player on those classic Lakers teams? I put him behind Cooper and even AC Green. Damn, that's a pretty good guy to have as your 6th best player.

Frankly, '87 might have turned out differently if Walton had been helathy and playing like he did in '86. And if Len Bias hadn't died. Some wounds never heal.

One more Laker question: Didn't they win a title without Kareem? '88 against the Pistons? Was Micahel Thompson the starting center? I can't recall.

Mag: If Len Bias and Reggie Lewis hadn't died, I can point to a string of events that wouldn't have happened...

1) Larry wouldn't have blown his ankles out so quickly, because Len, Reggie, and Brian Shaw would have been able to contribute ample supporting minutes for the fab 5.

2) Brian Shaw would not have jumped ship, because he would have been playing for a still great team, not a great team in their twilight.

3) Rick Fox would not have defected to LA, because Boston wouldn't have stunk up the 90's nearly as bad with Reggie, Len, and Brian all still playing for them.

The list goes on and on...

But I make no excuses. The Celtics are back after a long vacation from the playoffs, and dammit, Pierce, Walker, Battie, and company are rockin' the house.

Did anyone see Battie swatting away shots last night? GOOD GOD! BRING ON THE LAKERS! :)

By the way, would you say that Byron Scott was the 6th best player on those classic Lakers teams? I put him behind Cooper and even AC Green. Damn, that's a pretty good guy to have as your 6th best player.

I'd put him 4th behind Magic, Big Game James Worthy (who my son Daniel shares a birthday with), and Kareem. Coop 5th, even though he was our 6th man, coming off the bench, we always used him to stop the other team's best offensive player, plus, like Horry, he always seemed to hit the big "3" when needed. Then A.C. Green 6th. No knock on him, but look who else we're talking about.

Scott was to that team what Gail goodrich was to the Chamberlian/West "33 in a row" Lakers

One more Laker question: Didn't they win a title without Kareem? '88 against the Pistons? Was Micahel Thompson the starting center? I can't recall.

I think that's right Kareem was hurt (as in injured, not his feelings).

My NHL playoff thread has been all too gentlemanly and free of trash talking. It's only now that we're getting close to the finals that people are finally coming out of their shells, thank God.

Sadly, the last statement that someone made was quickly followed by a disclaimer ("I'm trying to be funny, not mean.").

What the hell is that??? :)

Anyway, I'm not doing any talking there...my team was sadly eliminated in round one. But here, I'm all too happy to point out that the back-to-back world champion Lakers are about to show you what puts the three in threepeat. The one loss to the NoSac Queens and the arrogance of the Gas Station Arena fans will only add fuel to the fire that will consume the remainder of the league for the rest of the playoffs.

Bring on Boston, baby.

- Jeff

Aha! Another true believer in the Green Machine. Like I said. I don't think for a minute that the Beantowners stand a chance against that purple-and-yellow monstrosity, although Shaq and P.J. didn't help the cause by insinuating that the refs were cheating (I'll wager the refs will be even tougher on Shaq about those charges now!)

I get the distinct impression that Shaq is going to get a taste of what biased officiating is all about in the next game or two...

Re: the Boston Sell Tix

Teams that can't pronounce their own names correctly should be banned from the playoffs.

It's CELTICS, you morons! (pronounced KEL-tics)

Re: the LA Lakers

Teams with unrealistic geogrphic references should be banned from the playoffs until they change to something more suitable.

LA Cacti

LA Wildfiles

LA Mudslides

LA Road Rage

LA Quakers

Go Kings!!! Go Nets!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived