Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NBA PLAYOFFS!

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Fair enough...it's silly to compare ain't it? :)

Now is this a soiled Tampon you'll be wearing?

:D

Drat. I was hoping he'd have already forgotten.

No sir. It will be new, and lillywhite sterile, extra thin for those light, light days.

And it won't even be leaving the box, fella, or is it Ms.? I can only imagine based on the one Jam Free Photo I've seen, but I'd wager you're a fox in drag.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by Dan South:

P.S. You've gotta love a "sure thing."

Los Angeles Lakers

St. Louis Rams

New York Yankees

Yup, you've gotta LOVE a sure thing.

Rams? A sure thing?

Did you watch a different Super Bowl than I did?

Scott I believe that Dan's point is that "sure things" don't always pan out in the home stretch.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Hey, you know what I love? Bowling. Well, I was a sports obsessed pre-adolescent in the heyday of Earl Anthony, so how could I not, right? Man, that was an exciting time on the lanes. Anthony knew a level of dominance that neither Michael nor Kobe nor Bill frickin' Russell ever enjoyed. But what was beauty about the late great Earl was his unselfishness. He really made those around him better.

You know what else was cool? Quiz bowl. The last scholastic sport unspoiled by the agents and early birds, if you ask me. We had this chick in New Paltz when I was in high school. I won't divulge her name because someone might be listening. But she was, like, hideous, and I say this with all tenderness and sympathy. Cross-eyed, knock-kneed, 7 feet tall, and afflicted with a strange vocal control problem. But in the heat of battle, watch out. I heard she read 9 books a week, and I think that is conservative. During her four years, NP *never lost a match.* Socio-economically, it ain't exactly Chapaqua here, but we're definitely a county on the brain belt--college town, exurban retreat for white collar manhattanites, and eco-decadent extreme sport destination extraordinaire. She wasn't exactly tromping over BOCES rats if you hear what I'm saying. There were some other bright kids on the squad, including my friend Tom, but it simply didn't matter. Total carnage, every question, every night. Rick Barry never shot better from the line.

You know what's really cool? High School and Community Theater productions of Starlight Express. Holy Shit, you think Hockey is Rough? You think Rock and Roll is dangerous? When you got amateur actors, amateur directors, amateur set designers and carpenters! it's fireworks every night. The perfroming arts at their edgiest and least predictable. Go at your own risk, 'cause those kids are gonna fly

I hear that when you really get rocking on the Atkins diet, like when your pee is purple or whatever the upper echelon urine tone is, it's totally exhilarating, that you can almost feel fat flying off you, fleeing from you in terror. People driving behind you have to use their wipers. I've even heard it called orgasmic, a metabolic joy ride. This makes me think there has been a dramatic inversion in what we consider pleasures of the flesh. I mean, there have always been those cadaverous-looking joggers who mainline healthuntil it practically consumes them to the sinew, but traditional hedonists have favored fattier and destructive pleasures. I used to think pleasure seekers were after a little death; now it looks like their just want immortality. I heard Sting say, with a straight face, "I'm getting younger." Raptures of the optimized corporeal machine. We are hazardous materials living in the spiritual world.

What? No NBA on tonight?

Originally posted by soapbox:

P.S. You've gotta love a "sure thing."

Los Angeles Lakers

St. Louis Rams

New York Yankees

Yup, you've gotta LOVE a sure thing.

Rams? A sure thing?

Did you watch a different Super Bowl than I did?

Scott I believe that Dan's point is that "sure things" don't always pan out in the home stretch.
Oh. OK.

I'm so used to the Yankees buy..err..winning the World Series - I guess I didn't notice - did they lose it last year?

Originally posted by Magpel:

Anthony knew a level of dominance that neither Michael nor Kobe nor Bill frickin' Russell ever enjoyed.

What? No NBA on tonight?

What's funny is I remember as a kid watching him on occasional Saturdays (on ABC?) and rooting for him because he was left handed like me.

And I don't remember ever seeing him lose, but the memory is faint.

Yeah no NBA... the rest of this week is taking f o r e v e r.

I'm so used to the Yankees buy..err..winning the World Series - I guess I didn't notice - did they lose it last year?

Scott, I'm glad you asked. The Arizona Diamondbacks won the World Series last year. This thrilled me no end, as someone who spent most of his childhood in Arizona. It was Arizona's first championship victory ever in any professional sport! Even though I'm more of a Dodgers fan, I reveled in that accomplishment!

Last year, we had one of the most exciting World Series ever, followed by perhaps the most exciting Super Bowl ever. It would be great to see that sort of thing this year in the NBA!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

steadyb, wouldn't you savor a "threepeat" that much more if it was hard won?

To be perfectly honest, I'd prefer a sweep of the next two series, each game ending with Kobe, Horry, or Fisher hitting the buzzer beater to win by one. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ah, lovely. Steady lets his human side show in this post--despite the bravado, he still lives the nervous life of a fan, still feels vulnerable by virtue of his emotional investment in something over which he has no control. End it quickly. That's sweet.

As a lifelong and passionate Yankee fan, I been there, babe. They think we have no heart! So they don't mind ripping it out. They say rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for U.S. Steel. Rooting for the Lakers is like rooting for Disney. Imagine my reaction when the Diamondbacks won, against my favorite Yankee, Mariano Rivera, no less. They say I don't have a right to feel bad about it.

Originally posted by steadyb:

steadyb, wouldn't you savor a "threepeat" that much more if it was hard won?

To be perfectly honest, I'd prefer a sweep of the next two series, each game ending with Kobe, Horry, or Fisher hitting the buzzer beater to win by one. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

followed by perhaps the most exciting Super Bowl ever. It would be great to see that sort of thing this year in the NBA!

Indeed. As a longtime Patriots fan, last year was quite a moment for me. I was beginning to believe that it would never happen! :)

I'm still dreaming of a Celtics-Lakers rematch in the finals.

Imagine my reaction when the Diamondbacks won, against my favorite Yankee, Mariano Rivera, no less. They say I don't have a right to feel bad about it.

The Lakers would definitely sweep the Diamondbacks.

I don't care how tall Randy Johnson is, he can't hang with Shaq for 48 minutes. Plus, he really can't shoot free throws.

Well here it is, ...the day we've been waiting for all season :bor:

So RaGe, keep that drum roll going... :thu:

Steve, hold off the Laker haters... :thu:

Jeff, keep that damn cat away from the computer... :confused:

And...

GO LAKERS!!!

HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I was a bit disappointed in the Lakers 4th mistakes today but they did stick to fundamentals enough to secure the win.

I can only imagine how relaxed the Lakers feel knowing they don't have to create offense against Twin Towers in the paint anymore. I'm getting the feeling this series is going to get easier for them by the game.

I'll let SteadyB do the countdown...GO LAKERS!!!

:wave:

Yeah, revel in it, buddy. I've got a plan. If the Lakers win game two, I will quickly reduce and then stop posting over the next few days, letting my avatar sink several pages back on all popular current threads. On the day the Lakers clinch, I will make my formal post on this thread with my...unfortunate new appendage. Then I'll snail it for a few days and hope Steve isn't in a flaunting mood.

I thought the Kings played pretty well, but after tha initial hole they fell in, they needed to be perfect, and they certainly weren't that. I didn't like a lot of the calls, but you never do when you lose. Bibby and Jackson proved me right, They can give the Lakers problems. Unfortunately Webber proved me right too. His head is a little shaky.

The thing I love/hate about Bill Walton is he's got this expansive, emotional appreciation of basketball, but no memory at all. Everything he says is delivered with passionate conviction, and has absolutely no bearing on the next thing he says. It's clear that his main song right now is the utter athleto-spiritual mastery and dominance of the Lakers, the holistic genius of fellow hippie-jock Phil Jackson. I'm sure they've been to a few Dead shows together, and I'm sure they smoked the good stuff.

Mike Breen is great. He's a New York guy I've been watching/hearing since he was doing Dutchess County cable. He's excellent and was extrememly funny as the sportsman for Imus in the Morning on WFAN.

Um, yeah. Go Yanks. Soriano for MVP.

Imagine my reaction when the Diamondbacks won, against my favorite Yankee, Mariano Rivera, no less. They say I don't have a right to feel bad about it.

That game was a heartbreaker... I wanted so much to cry... but my wife was looking at me. :D:D:D

Go Celts...Go Yanks!!! :thu:

Originally posted by Cereal:

Will you concede after we win game 2 ?? :freak:

Concede what? That an organization that ignores salary cap rules can buy the best coach in the league plus a deep roster of talented players? Heck, it worked for the Marlins and the Cowboys! ;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Santa Barbara? That's not so far. Listen closely. That muffled choking sound will be coming from the men in the piss yellow uniforms.

Those yellow uniforms were from the kings pissing in their pants. :eek:

The Lakers were wearing their purple and gold road uniforms (you know, the ones they've been wearing during their last 12 consecutive road playoff victories). :cry:

Concede what? That an organization that ignores salary cap rules can buy the best coach in the league plus a deep roster of talented players?

Yeah that Paul Allen and Mark Cuban are something else aren't they??? :wave::bor:

No threepeat. Even with the refs' help. The Kings will definitely win Game 2.

I love how Dan's setting up his excuses now

for the total ass-kicking the Nets are in for should they get lucky enough to get past the Celtics.

If the Kings had made 3 fewer tunrovers and hit 3 more tres, who knows? Maybe they would have gotten past that 5 point gap and made a run at it. I still have hope. They will shoot better from three, Hedo will contribute more, and the refs won't make so many miscalls against Vlade every game. And the Lakers won't score 36 points in every 1st quarter.

Of course, we know that the Lakers are great closers, and they taste blood right now. A win tomorrow would skewer the Sacro-heart irreparably.

And so here again, I worry about the mentality of the Kings. Will they be able to play loose and free-wheeling, or will it feel to much like a virtual elimination game and tighten them up? If they win, the Lakers still take round one, but hope lives on. The Kings could easily break back in LA. If they lose, g'night Irene. Could well be a sweep if that happens.

I still have hope. They will shoot better from three, Hedo will contribute more, and the refs won't make so many miscalls against Vlade every game. And the Lakers won't score 36 points in every 1st quarter.

...and The Great Pumpkin will bring presents to all the little boys and girls who spend the night waiting in the pumpkin patch.

I worry about the mentality of the Kings.

First time in the Conference Finals...the pressure increases exponentially each level you move up...and the kings are basically a

"first round" team.

...but that's not the only thing I'd be worrying about. The Lakers still have a bunch more up their sleeve the kings haven't seen yet.

It may be time to head down to Home Depot and pick up a new broom. The one I've had for the last two years is getting pretty worn.

Archived