Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any suggestions for a really good weighted 88 key, keyboard?

Imagine

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Imagine:

I'm looking for a controller first and foremost. My PC88 is giving me problems and ever since a few days ago, the modulation wheel is giving my DP3, grief.

Thanks

If you like your PC88 other than the recent problems, you'd probably really like the PC2X. Other than that, I use an Alesis QS8 and I love it, as a digital piano and as a weighted controller.

steadyb

You may even look at one of the Fatar 88-key controllers. They manufacture the keybeds on many popular synths (including Alesis and several others), and may be cheaper than an 88-key synth with onboard sounds.

BTW...I've played extensively on P80s, PC88s, QS8s, A90s and other 88-key weighted synths, but I haven't spent much time playing the Fatar, so I can't offer any qualified opinion on the feel.

- Jeff

Be sure to check out the yamaha S80. It's a great keyboard on its own and is a great controller as well. Some people have complained about the keybed action, but it feels great to me, although I have to admit it took me a few times to get used to it!

It's a wonderful keyboard and the price is right ~ $1400.

Peace

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I was on about a one year search myself and I finally wound up with a SL880 Fatar controller and love it. It is probably the same action as your PC88 which I always loved. But get this, Fatar is coming out with some new models and some of the stores (Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc.) are selling these babies for under 500 bucks!! I have a Triton which I was never nuts about the piano sounds, but I bought the piano board for it and it has some great pianos on it. I am mainly a B3 player, but this combination works so nicely for me that it has inspired me to play a lot more piano, both live and at home. my 2 pesos.

If you want good action and piano sound I would go for the Yamaha P80. It is lighter than most stagepianos + cheaper too. Don't know the price in US$ but it's half the price of a XV88. Of course if you want more sounds I would go for the Roland.

good luck

Check out the Oberheim MC-3000. It looks like a very good controller and the action is supposed to be pretty good as well. It has 88 weighted keys (Hammer action) with After-touch.

http://www.viscount-organs.com/oberheim/mc3000.jpg

"The most important features are:

128 Midi Channels with 8 output Ports

8 Main zones + 8 auxiliary zones

8 sliders and 3 wheals totally assignable

3 system pedals and 5 assignable pedals

48 dynamic curves that can be designed by the user with a point to point resolution and assignable to the single zone. This allows the creation of swapping, in-layers and X-fade of more zones by using only the dynamic of the key.

48 after touch curves that can also be designed by the user with a point to point resolution and assignable to single zones.

48 tables of program changes that can be choosen by the user plus 16 ROM tables.

48 tables of SYS-EX with a learning function and check control. This provides a system-exclusive strings, saves them inside the tables and assigns them to single zone when transmitting.

Cross matrix Midi Patch bay programmable to each single patch and enabling the realization of In/out configurations.

A powerful on line, Midi Monitor for all data (either in DEC or in HEX formats) on all ports including to the keyboard key.

The Live execution is supported by 128 user chains with a totally assignable step change.

The above features represent only the most important capabilities of the MC 3000, but it also has the typical features like zone Transposition, Mute, Solo, Filters, Bulk-dump,Comment area for the single patch and everything else required of a professional instrument.

Its power and flexibility are very easy to use with its wide 240*64 pixel and lighted display and it is easy to program with its graphic function.

The use of a Microsoft Mouse which is compatible with the on serial port RS 232, will enable the quick editing of the instrument."

Of course the Kurzweil PC2x would be a great upgrade for you as well.

Originally posted by b_3guy:

What a cool, professional looking board!!!

I don't want to offend any Oberfans in here, but I wasn't any impressed with the action. But I agree, It sure is beautiful!!

This message has been edited by Mezzo on 08-09-2001 at 06:54 PM

Me too wasn't too impressed with the action of the Oberheim, but I liked it better than the action of the PC88. My vote for action and sound still goes for the Kawai MP9000 http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif but as a controller the Oberheim is hard to beat.

My suggestion would be, even if you're not close to a store, take the time and try them out.

I tried that Oberheim thing in a store and was pretty much impressed with the action of the keys, but this is an 100% subjective thing, with the key action, I mean, someone likes daughter, someone likes mother, someone likes the dress.

Kurzweil's PC2 series allows you to add a ribbon controller for about $60. Then it behaves just like the ribbon controller on the K2600 series. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

Kurzweil's PC2 series allows you to add a ribbon controller for about $60. Then it behaves just like the ribbon controller on the K2600 series. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

.....the PC2 also has an input for a breath controller. I love my PC2, it sounds great, it is one of the best controllers available, and I've seen the weighted PC2X for $1700 which is fairly cheep compared to when it first came out.

I thought Gibson dropped the Oberheim line, and that Viscount bought it. I heard that they were now distributed in the US by Armadillo Enterprises.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

I thought Gibson dropped the Oberheim line, and that Viscount bought it. I heard that they were now distributed in the US by Armadillo Enterprises.

Oberheim is absolutely still owned by Gibson - trust me on this one. It is a joint partnership with Viscount.

I do not believe that Armadillo is the distributor any longer, either.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Oberheim is absolutely still owned by Gibson - trust me on this one. It is a joint partnership with Viscount.

I do not believe that Armadillo is the distributor any longer, either.

dB

Geez, and I thought that keeping up with computer comapnies was tough... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I wrote MusicYo (what a stupid name for a retailer) to see if I could get some info:

Hi:

I was wondering if Gibson has scaled back the Oberheim line? I cannot find any info about the OB-5 organ, or the MC-3000 controller. Are these products still made?

Their reply:

As far as we know they have as we have not been offered any new items except the OB Tune software to sell.

MusicYo.com

My vote is on the PC2. I like my pc88 a lot, although I wish you could set up more than 4 zones; not a big deal with how I use it, though. The mp9000 has a really nice action, but has less controller features.

The s80 is a great synth... The controller part of it seems to be somewhat of an after thought, though.

The only other option other than what was mentioned are Peavey controllers. I think they still make them. I did have a major gripe with it when I saw it though. Pitch and mod (2! cool) wheels are on top of the keyboard vs on the side.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

>Steinway makes a nice 88-note weighted keyboard.

yeah but I'll be damned if I can find the MIDI out on it...

or in fact the pitch bend and mod wheels...

peace

Neil

Imagine, I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on your thread, but I'm also in the market for an 88. Unless I hear something really bad about the S80 very soon, I'll probably get one of those. For a while, I really liked the PC88. But I was put off by stories I heard from some friends who'd had an inordinate amount of trouble with the action breaking down. More recently I've really come to like the PC2X, but I've heard some stories about the keys being fragile on those as well.

Since I saw Mike Martin on this thread earlier, I'll see if he's still listening. Has the keyboard problem of the PC88 been rectified on the PC2X? I'm aware of the problems that can be caused by not mounting it on a proper stand, but I'm talking about long-term durability. And to be fair, I'm talking about playing 25-30 hours a week on it. Realistically, can ANY weighted keyboard be expected to hold out for years of this much work, or would I be wise to just plan on regular maintenance and repairs?

Anyone ever had an 88 that they just couldn't break? Besides a Steinway, of course! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Actually, I'm a little surprised Renner hasn't teamed up with some electronics company to build a master keyboard. I bet it'd sell!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Archived