Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any suggestions for a really good weighted 88 key, keyboard?

Imagine

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Brewster:

Do you plan to gig with your new keyboard?

Brew

Definitely. That's why durability is so important. Besides playing so many hours a week on it, I need to set it up and pack it up most every day and transport it to and from gigs in the back of my truck.

I liked the KX88 as recently as `95, but it's a bit outdated for what I need. Besides, it would be hard to get it fixed quickly if something went wrong with it, which is pretty likely for a board that old. Also for streamlining purposes I much prefer a keyboard with sound so I don't have to pack another module. Like I said, unless someone has a real horror story about the S80 I'll get one of those. The PC2X runs a close second, but I'm concerned about its reliability.

Peace all,

Steve

This message has been edited by SWBuck1074@aol.com on 08-14-2001 at 05:53 AM

><>

Steve

Originally posted by Roto:

The reviews over at www.harmony-central.com say $799. Nobody said where they got it other than www.musicyo.com, which doesn't appear to be selling them anymore http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/confused.gif

Ehi!!! I've been in the greatest store in Italy and they told me it costs more than 2.000.000 L. , that is around 1000$ http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

SWBuck1074 said: unless someone has a real horror story about the S80 I'll get one of those.

No Horror Stories, but quite the contrary. It's a fantastic keyboard. I have an S80, (and so does one of my favorite keyboard players: Steve Weingart of the Dave Weckl Band).

http://216.247.68.195/main/weckl/sneak.htm

I have gigged with it, and it's a solid piece of equipment. Great Choice.

Albert

This message has been edited by tuttorney@hotmail.com on 08-14-2001 at 10:25 AM

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by tuttorney@hotmail.com:

SWBuck1074 said: unless someone has a real horror story about the S80 I'll get one of those.

No Horror Stories, but quite the contrary. It's a fantastic keyboard. I have an S80, (and so does one of my favorite keyboard players: Steve Weingart of the Dave Weckl Band).

http://216.247.68.195/main/weckl/sneak.htm

I have gigged with it, and it's a solid piece of equipment. Great Choice.

Albert

I'll put in another good word for the S80. I chose it over several other 88 key boards mainly because it just felt good to play...it felt like a "real" instrument rather than just an electronic keyboard. When I talk about feel, I don't just mean the action; I mean the sounds as well. IMO the acoustic pianos are decent, and the electric pianos, guitars, and strings are excellent. Organs are good and I convinced myself (and had some encouragement from yamahas80.com) that the potential was there for creating some great organ sounds.

Durability of the keyboard was important to me too, not because I play out, but since I play some relatively abusive boogie stuff occasionally with a lot of glissandos and some heavy pounding riffs. Time will tell how it holds up I suppose.

My impression now is that the S80 is best or at least well suited for live performance, which I'm not doing. It's being used in a mini home studio and with a midi sequencer program (Cubasis). The multi mode sequencing seems a bit awkward, but not too bad. I'm just starting so I don't have much to compare to other than a Korg X5. My main gripe is that you can only use the insertion effects on only one part of a multi mode sequence.

Regards,

Pete

Originally posted by ThatGuyDan:

Anyone thinking about a Roland RD-700? I'm thinking about buying one, but I'm not sure how it stacks.

ThatGuy--

I have one and I am enjoying it.

Pros:

64 meg RAM expandable via SRX cards (same as the xv88)

128 voice

Great action

Fantastic stock pianos

Cons:

Un-painted fiberboard bottom (just looks bad from dance floor when on my stand)

Hard to find demo units to play.

No aftertouch.

Hope this helps...

This message has been edited by rickkreuzer on 08-14-2001 at 06:37 PM

Originally posted by SWBuck1074@aol.com:

The PC2X runs a close second, but I'm concerned about its reliability.

Peace all,

Steve

This message has been edited by SWBuck1074@aol.com on 08-14-2001 at 05:53 AM [/b]

My PC2, purchased on May 4th, was sent back to Kurzweil on June 4th to try to fix a problem. Kurz has great tech support, but I'm also a scared one when it comes to reliability. It's my third Kurzweil---also my third one with problems. I'm not sure I want it back...

If you JUST need a controller and no sounds then I would suggest a Fatar 880....I good and it's cheap. If you just need a few sounds then look at the Kurz SP88. It has good stock sounds and isn't that expensive either.

If you go the Kurz route on ANYTHING go through someone like Sweetwater. Kurzweil has crappy quality control and a place like Sweetwater checks over everything before it goes out---especially Kurweil keyboards! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Donnie

PS...an no I don't work for Sweetwater either http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by rickkreuzer:

re RD-700 :

Cons: Un-painted fiberboard bottom (just looks bad from dance floor when on my stand) Hard to find demo units to play. No aftertouch.

Additional Con:

All the Rhodes patches employ crude velocity-switching from soft to hard sample, which is quite audible. Very difficult to control when you're playing near the velocity-switch point, doesn't sound natural.

Roland A-80

I still haven't found a keyboard with a better piano touch since I bought it new in '92. Plus, it is one of the few keyboards out there with POLY-aftertouch.

Generally I see them used for about $600-700.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Archived