Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virginity?

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I am a Tomita fan as well...

I actually wrote a program for Andromeda called Tomitarpeggiator. Alesis made me change the name, though, because they were afraid that he might sue them. Wimps.

I forget what it's called now - it's in Preset bank 1, program 60.

dB

Hey Dave,

It's called "Discoveries" now. Cheezy name, GREAT patch!

steadyb

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Marzzz:

Well, this is weird, but my first exposure to a synthesizer was a huge modular, it MUST have been a Moog, on a Shafer beer commercial around 1967-68 ("Shafer, is the, one beer to have, when you're having more than one") with someone, looking almost like a mad scientist, playing the Shafer theme and turning knobs and pulling patch cords....I was transfixed!!!!

I think I remember that too. It might have been Edd Kalehoff (sp?). I know he did the theme music for The Price Is Right (don't ask me HOW I remember THAT) and other TV & commercial work.

Suzanne Ciani did a famous Coke commercial sound effect in the '70's with a Buchla synth.

It's been a long time since I last sent a post, I seem to be very busy lately.

Anyway, for me it was seeing a band called Landscape on a tv show called Tomorrows World all about future technology and they were showing the Roland 100M, the Microcomposer and the Lyricon. I was totally blown away. After that I bought my first music magazine and started saving up for a Casio CS01 with breath control as it was the only synth I had any chance of buying (I was still at school and a paper round only pays you so much a week). I also toyed with the idea of buying a kit synth called the Tran something 2000, can't remember the full name.

I ended up getting neither. I got a summer job which became permanent and blew my first months wages on a Moog Rogue. I never looked back after that. I am also a believer in things coming to those who wait. I now have an Andromeda - oooooohhhhh seeexxxxxx! ;-)

cheers,

Bassment

Switched on Bach of course, but also, when Abbey Road was released in 1969, hearing that the uneathly sounds in Here Comes the Sun and Maxwell's Silver Hammer came from George's Moog Synthesizer. Then "Won't get Fooled Again" . . .

Maybe not strictly a "synthesizer", but my first exposure to electronic music was the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and various incidental music for BBC productions in the 1960's (especially by Elizabeth Parker). The Dr Who theme is a good example of the style.

This message has been edited by Goughy on 05-03-2001 at 12:26 AM

"I thought that music mattered."

• 5 years later...

ELP was my first intro to synth.

The first synth I owned was a Juno-106, which my brother still has, (though the battery died and it lost all the presets).

I remember creating a sound that was a pretty good impression of an arrow zipping through the air and sticking into a tree. Ahh, the days of analog.

Heart's "Magic Man" was the first song I heard with a synthesizer. That glide to low G got my attention!

First synth I ever saw was a PAiA modular that a high school friend had built.

First synth I played was a Minimoog in a store. They threw me out because I wouldn't stop playing that "Never Been Any Reason" solo.

First synth I owned was a PAiA modular. Had the most fun building that thing. I'll have to scan pictures of it. Next synth I owned was a Moog Source and I forgot all about the PAiA.

First woman I... never mind :)

First synth I...

Played: Arp Odyssey, circa 1980

Owned: Arp Omni, circa 1983, still in my studio! :)

Heard: Synths were all over the radio when I was a kid. Songs like "I Can See Clearly Now", "Ridin' the Storm Out", "Magic Man", all of the Steve Miller stuff, etc. However, the first time I was totally blown away by a synth was the first time I heard Lucky Man.

When I was young, my dream synth was a Mellotron. I wanted to be able to play those glorious "Ahh's" in 10cc's "I'm Not In Love". Then I discovered that 10cc didn't use a Mellotron for that track, but rather tape loops - lots of 'em!

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

A MiniMoog - one of the very first, in the 70's. I think it cost somewhere between $1,100 - $1,500 at the time.

One day it was stolen from our rehearsal building, and miraculously a year later, a lead panned out... some musician stole it but was afraid to use it, because it was rare and would instantly be recognized. So, through the help of other musicians, it was actually recovered and returned to me in perfect condition. It felt jinxed, so I sold it immediately. But I freaked some people out with its sounds for the time I had it. :)

What was the first synth you ever saw?

Played?

Owned?

dB

I don't remember when I heard the word "synthesizer". Played....that's easier. When I was 14, I went into a music store and played them for the first time (this store, btw, was Goodman Music; I think Joe Goodman is with Kurzweil now). Maybe these were the first synths I ever saw as well, but I really don't remember.

The first synth I ever heard of was a Moog, but I don't think I ever saw one until much later, after I had purchased my first synth.

Owned. I purchased a Roland JX-3P used from a recording studio when I was in college. I later sold it, then missed it, so I went and bought another one, which I still have. The one I still have was previously owned by Rick Springfield.

I haven't played or met my first real analogue yet. Hawaii is a small island :-). But I knew I wanted to be a synthesist when I heard Steve Winwood's solo on "Finer things" from his "Back in the High life" album. Dad told me it was a Prophet 5, but I am wondering now if it might have been his Memorymoog...
GIGO

Originally posted by Marzzz:

Well, this is weird, but my first exposure to a synthesizer was a huge modular, it MUST have been a Moog, on a Shafer beer commercial around 1967-68 ("Shafer, is the, one beer to have, when you're having more than one") with someone, looking almost like a mad scientist, playing the Shafer theme and turning knobs and pulling patch cords....I was transfixed!!!!

I think I remember that too. It might have been Edd Kalehoff (sp?). I know he did the theme music for The Price Is Right (don't ask me HOW I remember THAT) and other TV & commercial work.

Yes, it was Edd Kalehoff, and here is the first time I ever heard/saw a Moog synth (last 1:00):

http://one.revver.com/watch/16878?__session_just_started__=1

Not sure what the first synth I HEARD was; in 8th grade, my buddy brought his older brother's Brain Salad Surgery LP over, and it was mindblowing. I'm sure I heard some synth on the radio hits prior to that, but nothing stuck. Brain Salad Surgery, and the Arp stuff on Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road were my first conscious hearings.

First synth I owned: Moog Satellite, then a Pro-Soloist.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

First time I saw one - a DX-11 (I'm from Wyoming...we're a bit behind the times)

First one I played - a Roland Super JX-10 - my school bought one w/a Roland 100W cube amp (my school of 120 K-12, nonetheless), and I was the only one who was allowed to play it (besides the teacher, but she wasn't that interested). Talk about popping my cherry.

First one I owned - I don't even remember the model #, but it was a Yamaha Portatone with the built-in sampler, and the microphone on the curly-Q cord - remember that? I got it 'free' when I paid $1200 for my first Clavinova at the Wyoming State Fair the year I won the talent contest (between the horse show, and hog showmanship).

First car? A green (with canary yellow vinyl seats) '71 Mercury Montego. She was sexxxxy. :rolleyes:

...and then there was the girl who stole my virginity AND my leather jacket...

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

I think I was 8 or 9 years old.

My brother came back from college. I was a big Beatles Fan. I think I was listening to Help! or the Red or Blue album at the time on the old Philco phonograph.

He says: "You wanna hear something real cool?"

He then replaces the beatles with a dark looking album and locates a specific point near the end of the side, close to the label.

He handed me the headphones and I listened to the strangest sound and it traveled from ear to ear... repeating and increasing velocity.

Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression... and the rest is history.

My first Tomita experience was within a year or two of that : Snowflakes are Dancing : Gollywog's Cakewalk.

Oh the trouble that started.

I had to get more synth music. I eventually exhausted at Babbit's Ensembles for the Synthesizer.

How come Bob Moog isn't in the Rock Hall of Fame?

As one of the old guys I guess I should tell you of the days before the oceans drank Atlantis (sorry, having a Conan moment). Anyway, in my young day synthesized sound meant theramins and that weird little keyboard on Dell Shannon's "Runaway". I first became away of the Moog by hearing a strange tune by Dick Hyman called "Minotaur." This was followed in short order by "Switched on Bach (we had a hip music teacher in college) and then "Lucky Man." A keyboardist friend of mine, who had more money than sense sometimes, but was a great player and early ELP fan bought an Electrocomp to play with. I thought then (and now) that all that patching and tweaking was a long way to go for a few novelty sounds. Two year later Korg had come out with the mini Korg and I was lucky enough to be with a fairly popular local band and the fellow who owned the music store I went to was kind enough to let me take out and play all the new synths that he got in. I guess he thought it was advertising even though I would only use them for a short solo or two per night. By 1978 and the height of multi keyboard folly I was working in a club band and arranged to have, in addition to my C3 and Clavinet, a Fender Rhodes, ARP OMNI string machine and mini Korg. I was glad when synths finally allowed one to play chords but by the time this level of polyphony came in I was pretty much out of the business (going to grad school and getting married and all that) and was neither interested in, nor could afford, any of the new synths. By the time I started playing out again, about six years ago, emulators to replace my C and other keys were the priority. I have an XK3 and Electro2 61 and that is plenty although maybe I'll get one of the little mini synths for fun and old time's sake. Someday.

Love the commercial. The only problem is that I looked like that back then right down to the gold rim glasses and polyester shirt. Gee thanks for the memory.

I didn't wear glasses back then, but I had that exact same shirt. And I had this guy's hair style:

http://www.photohype.com/G-X/BK-Afro.jpg

I also saw the switched on Bach album covers that piqued my interest...but I'll never forget while in high school we were having a dance and the posters read "J Barry Band featuring the Moog Synthesizer" The poster went on to list all the bands using the Moog. The band shows up with a Hammond B3 and a Minimoog.....the keyboard player was making some incredible sounds with this thing....at a break he even took requests for sounds to try to emulate....

I still covet the Voyager...

Archived