Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how to tell the wife...

Pim

I am a lucky guy. As long there is money I can buy every synth I want. My girlfriend never asks any questions. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I work in synthesizer retail and lots of my clients are not that lucky.

What kind of excuses have you ever used?

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by pim@dancewave.nl:

I am a lucky guy. As long there is money I can buy every synth I want. My girlfriend never asks any questions. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I work in synthesizer retail and lots of my clients are not that lucky.

What kind of excuses have you ever used?

I do it through barter - something for me, something for her. The PPG Wave that I just bought cost me a remodelled bathroom as well.

Totally worth it. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

A woman would never allow a man to dictate her clothing purchases. A man should never allow a woman to dictate his hobby or professional purchases. Balance the purchases with the needs of the family, yes, but remain a man in the process.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Originally posted by peake@pacificnet.net:

A woman would never allow a man to dictate her clothing purchases. A man should never allow a woman to dictate his hobby or professional purchases. Balance the purchases with the needs of the family, yes, but remain a man in the process.

Wouldn't it be nice if it were that simple, my blissfully single brother... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dictation and communication are entirely different. The money thing is a potential source of many arguments between couples, and everyone has their own way of dealing with it. When you have to support a spouse and a family, it is not necessarily the most advisable move to walk in the door toting synth # 19 unannounced and say,"Back off, woman, I've exercised my right as a man and bought this - now, keep your place!". I don't know too many relationships where that would have desirable results.

I suppose there are marriages where that is the dynamic, but that ain't the way it happens in my house, nor would I ever want it to be.

Somehow, I just don't think that being considerate and wanting to keep things equitable makes me any less of a man.

dB

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

The PPG Wave that I just bought cost me a remodelled bathroom as well.

How many bathrooms do you have? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

There are a lot of synths out there!

If a woman enters your house for the first time and she sees all those walls of modulars, keyboards and so on, and there is no negative word about, she has no right to complain about it 5 or 10 years later.

Tanja and I live for 8 years together, and my synths are still where they were when she first entered: in the living room.

She doesn't like my music, that's a matter of taste, but she loves to see me enjoy what I am doing.

If she buys a skirt I don't like, but she is happy with it, who am I to say no?

And that's what this is all about.

This is what makes us real men: trying to make a living in this music biz while in other branches we can make much more money.

We are the free.

I am proud of you all.

------------------

www.dancewave.nl

[This message has been edited by pim@dancewave.nl (edited 10-19-2000).]

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

• 1 month later...

I must say that the balance does indeed have to be there between the mates. My first wife got the house and I got the SUV and my recording studio (I had to move my Technics keyboard while she was gone cause she wanted that too, but that is another story....)

My current wife (the only other time I will get married) loves my music and supports me 100 %. Half of our bedroom has my studio in it and the walls are filled with awards and album releases, etc..

I have not bought anything new in a long time, simply because we do not have th 3600 it would take to buy the Triton Pro-X or the 4k + it would take to get the Kurzweil. When we do have the money, those babies are mine and she will help me carry them from the music store.

I drool over all the mags and sales guides I get in the mail and she gives me the towels so I don't get my shirts drooled on. She knows that music is my life and is cool with it. She would not have it any other way. She goes to the gigs, helps me carry my gear in and out, helps me unpack it and pack it, and gives great advice (and criticism) about how the band sounds. I am also not the type to buy a board over feeding my family, so my self control is pretty good too.

God, are you lucky!

My wife follows the common adage "What's mine is mine and what's his should have been mine"...you can't do the "one for her, one for me" thing, because it ends up in a big scorekeeping match and ends in a fight. My wife just plain resents my music...sigh...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

There is a secret - those of you who are already married-too late, folks.

The secret is to be clear up front. I spent seven years living with my wife waiting for the 'magic phrase' - OK, A**h***, music or me!' http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Instead, she proved to me she supports my music 100% (most of the time, anyway!) and we've been married 22 years! Happily, too... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

It is not an easy thing for a woman, trained that she is supposed to be the most important thing in "her man's" life, to accept that music is what we DO, who we are, and everything else is subordinate. When they can understand and accept it, then the rest is in the art of loving compromise-sometimes "I got mine, it's your turn", sometimes it means she gets hers first. But be real, be up front, BEFORE the knot is tied and turns out to be the noose! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

The Soundsmith

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

• 1 month later...
It goes the same way for us woman. I can't tell you how many argumemts I had with previous boyfriends regarding me spening money on music equipment. I finally found someone who is a musician and understands what I'm talking about when I say I need to spend $300 on new cymballs for my drums and doesn't flinch when I talk about spending $300-$700 on buying a new guitar or amp. I don't flinch when he says it to me. I understand the musicians needs and wants. Remeber, there is always financing avaliable for those really, really, really important purchases.

Soundsmith wrote:

"It is not an easy thing for a woman, trained that she is supposed to be the most important thing in "her man's" life, to accept that music is what we DO, who we are, and everything else is subordinate. When they can understand and accept it, then the rest is in the art of loving compromise-sometimes "I got mine, it's your turn", sometimes it means she gets hers first. But be real, be up front, BEFORE the knot is tied and turns out to be the noose!"

No noose is good noose!

Single guy

hum

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

• 6 years later...

I make it a practice of buying two things....

Example: When I purchased my PEK, I also purchased a, say, music stand.

So I carried the music stand in first, told my wife Karen that I just bought a new music stand...

..and she waited...

..patiently...

..for the large ticket item...

I've trained her well...

:))

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

You know Kid, I can't get the new search engine to find anything older than a few weeks back. I don't know how you do it.

Busch.

:)

I was wondering when someone would notice the age of these threads.

Luckily I have the use of some industrial-grade enterprise data mining software. ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You know Kid, I can't get the new search engine to find anything older than a few weeks back. I don't know how you do it.

Busch.

:)

I was wondering when someone would notice the age of these threads.

Luckily I have the use of some industrial-grade enterprise data mining software. ;)

You must have gotten the pro version. I just purchased the regular version and then I have to upgrade every year to get the latest features. If I don't upgrade there might be problems with compatibility with the new features or my operating system. :mad: :grin:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

If I don't upgrade there might be problems with compatibility with the new features or my operating system. :mad: :grin:

Ain't it a bitch? :rolleyes:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I was fortunate in that the new Fantom X I walked in with matches the appliances in our newly remodeled kitchen, and the fact that there was no one home at the time didn't exactly hinder the process either.

Just sold the Juno G last night too, woo hoo!

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

If I don't upgrade there might be problems with compatibility with the new features or my operating system. :mad: :grin:

Ain't it a bitch? :rolleyes:;)

When you say it, are you referring to the software or the female aspect? I couldn't be sure due to the topic of this thread. :eek:;)

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

:grin:

Oh, the software, definitely.

Wifey's not a bitch. But she does know how to play the game.

Lately it's been a rash of purchases; Doris Day movies from Amazon :rolleyes: and little sandals from LL Bean. She commented this morning that she knew it would take a while to equal the amount I've spent on the blinky lights in my studio. But she would keep trying.

Women. Can't live with 'em. Can't live with 'em. :rolleyes:

:cool::)

I have several strategies.

- start talking about how cool something is a month or more before I buy it. My wife rolls her eyes because she knows I'm starting a campaign on her.

- buy it, have it shipped to work, sneak it into the studio.

- sell a bunch of old gear to pay for something new. Had to do this with my recent B-3, as it was not sneakable.

My wife's strategy on art glass, sculpture, etc:

- buy it, sneak it in and hide it for a week. Next, put it up somewhere in a secondary room in a peripheral location. Finally, move it to where she originally wanted it, while rearranging the room. When I notice and comment on it, she says "This old thing? We've had it for a long time!"

Moe

---

mmmmm.... Well, I told the first Wife that music came first. The day after we returned from our honeymoon I took of for a month with the band. Her car broke down, the cat died and I cannot remember what all else. Needless to say she is an ex now, it was the only way I could find peace. Any argument reverted back to the beginning of our marriage.

Wife #2? Well, she liked that I played music ... she knew where I was, so she had time to "run around."

Wife #3 ... hold it right there buddy, I don't see that in my future. I look at women sort of like I look at gear. You have to let it go sometimes.

Come to think of it I have gear that I have had through both marriages and then some. Well, I'll buy more gear but no more Holy Matrimony.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived