Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reaching Out - Music composition / recording

I dunno. I just checked the link above and it worked for me just now. Maybe the server (Homestead....go figure....) really was temporarily down when you tried it.

Anyway.. here's the demo mix with a 2-bar count in, no drums, and a 2-bar count out.

http://www.abjconstruction.net/files/reachwodrums.mp3

If you've got time to mess with it... Would be great if you could put up a mp3 stereo track with drums only BUT include my 2-bars at the very begining and end. I'd like to put it back in my mix and see if it will sync up okay. If so, maybe we can get some of the other players to do the same and assemble an updated mp3 demo mix before we get down to 'serious' wav tracking.

thanks

:cool:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

I got called into work last night, so I had no time to work on anything.

Okay, Tedster. Guess they needed more hands on deck to help count the snowflakes? Actually I know it's been wierd weather lately for a lot of people. My son was flying right seat in a PC-12 last week 100 miles out over the Atlantic (NC to Fla) and got caught in a heavy icing situation and their de-icing boots were malfunctioning. Fortunately the ATC, and I'm sure with the help of the weather service guys, helped them get out of it. :thu:

Hey guys:

If you need, I could give the lead vocal a try on this one...it seems to be right in my range. I have a very rock-n-roll kind of voice...might work or might not. I'll be happy to give it a try, and you can use it or not. Let me know.

If not lead, I can contribute backup vocals if you need. PM me and let me know on either....

Thx,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Okay then. I've talked with Tedster and Dave now. Ted has gotten covered up with some other stuff at the moment so Dave is gonna step in for the lead vox. I've updated the player roster above.

There's still room for a couple more if anybody else would like to get in on the recording collaboration. We still need electric guitar, and maybe something else a little different like mandalin, oboe, digereedoo...

Anybody else? :wave:

Wish I could help you out on the Mandolin, but I'm just not that good enough yet...

Definitely would love to play bass sometime though.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Hey Hooper and others:

Here's a mix with my sample vocal. I don't claim to be a "real" vocalist...my pitch control is far from perfect, etc., but let me know what you think. If someone better comes along, I'm more than happy to step back to backup vocals if needed. Let me know what you think and if you want to proceed along this path.

Here's the URL:

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/song4/

Hooper, hope you don't mind that I changed some of the lyrics just a bit.

Thx,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Alright! I really LIKE your vocal interpretation, Dave. By all means, let's run with it in that direction! It's really cool to hear some more flavor coming out now, with somebody else's input. I can't wait to hear it develop some more with everyone else playing.

So, what do you say, let's work on getting us all playing together now. I'm going to PM all of the players on the current roster and ask them to check in. Then let's work on getting some new tracks recorded so that we can update the demo and see what's developing. I propose we do it like this to help make things quick and easy.

If everybody on the player roster would please:

1.) Download Dave's mp3 vocal demo (above) which includes a 2-bar click intro and extro. We'll use it as the guide track.

2.) Convert to wav and install on your multi-tracking system indexing the First Click to the First Beat of the First Measure on your system.

3.) Record your new bass, keys, drums, guitar track while playing along with the guide.

4.) Do a mix down with your new track panned hard Left and a mono mix of the ENTIRE guide track panned hard to Right.

5.) Export the stereo wav mix and convert to mp3 at 160 kps. If everyone would please use 160kps that should help maintain consistency in the wav/mp3 conversions!

6.) Let's hold off on new backing vocal tracks at this time. I'll need to do a bit of re-arranging of the bgv's to get them to fit the updated words and phrasing. I'll include that on the updated DemoMix.

7.) I'll put up an updated DemoMix of the new tracks and then we can decide what kind of adjustments we need to make before recording our 'keeper' tracks and sending in waves for mixing.

Thanks!

5.) Export the stereo wav mix and convert to mp3 at 160 kps. If everyone would please use 160kps that should help maintain consistency in the wav/mp3 conversions!

Ok. I'm confused now. At first I read that everything was supposed to be 24bit/48khz and now we are down to mp3 ??

I just found out about this whole project yesterday. I play drums.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Dan

The plan is that we will be using 160kps Mp3's to facilitate putting together an updated demo mix. The goal of this step is to tweek up the arrangement. Once we're satisfied with the arrangement we will record tracks at 24/48000 and put up wav's to be downloaded by the mixing guy.

We've currently got someone signed up for drums on the player roster (see above) but part of what we're doing at this step is to find out if everybody is still onboard or if we need to replace anybody. So stay tuned...

thanks,

Hey folks:

Thanks Hooper...there's a few areas I need to clean up a bit...I'll try to do that on Friday.

Just to clarify: You should have a WAV file of anything that you record. Hooper's suggesting that we do our rough mixes off of MP3 files...Hoop has limited bandwidth to work with, so WAV files are just too big to work with in terms of uploads and downloads. I do think keeping the same bitrate throughout should help minimize any time floatation of MP3 files, so this will probably work fine. If it doesn't, Hooper please let us know in a hurry. Just keep in mind that the WAV files will be the golden copies.

I can post a WAV file version of the submix I did if you guys want...just let me know.

And forget, we can also use the Shorten utility to compress WAV files for upload and download.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Hooper:

The plan is that we will be using 160kps Mp3's to facilitate putting together an updated demo mix. The goal of this step is to tweek up the arrangement. Once we're satisfied with the arrangement we will record tracks at 24/48000 and put up wav's to be downloaded by the mixing guy.

Hmmm... not sure if I'm happy about tracking the demo with MP3s - from some experimenting on song 3 I found that there is a pretty big timing problem with MP3s, which could really mess with the groove.

I think we should just work from wav files straight away and if the demo turns out perfect, then we're sorted ahead of schedule.

On a slightly different topic; why 48kHz? Sounds no better than 44.1kHz but causes all sorts of 'dithering' challenges when converting to 44.1kHz for CD.

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Hmmm... not sure if I'm happy about tracking the demo with MP3s - from some experimenting on song 3 I found that there is a pretty big timing problem with MP3s, which could really mess with the groove.

I think we should just work from wav files straight away and if the demo turns out perfect, then we're sorted ahead of schedule.

On a slightly different topic; why 48kHz? Sounds no better than 44.1kHz but causes all sorts of 'dithering' challenges when converting to 44.1kHz for CD.

Alex

Hey Alex...imagine seeing you here... :thu:

My tracks will have to be 44.1KHz WAV...that's the only resolution my digital recorder can do.

Just curious on the timing problems with MP3's...I wonder if it will still happen if everyone uses the same converter and does the same bitrate? Alex, any thoughts? I haven't experimented with this personally, so I don't have any idea. I haven't run into any problems myself YET, but that may just be dump luck on my part. I'd be more comfortable with WAV's too...would anyone volunteer to collect WAV's and do frequent sample mixes? (I would but I'm going to be tied up...) Hooper, what's your thoughts here? If we have timing problems and your doing the sample mixes, I'd expect you'll hear it first...

Thx,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I've done around a half dozen Internet recording collaborations so far, using mp3's to work up the sample arrangement and haven't found sync to be an inherent problem with the format. Seems like when there have been problems it's been operator problems that we've been able to work out.

One other detail that's important in preparing the mp3 is to make sure that your wav starts at the First Beat of the First Measure even if your part doesn't start playing until later in the song.

If I'm the only sluggard still on dial-up then I can deal with the 2-3 hour upload if needed but won't be able to download a bunch of wav's to do sample mixes while we're working out the arrangement. :wave:

Regarding 44.1 versus 48khz...MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT: If some folks are wanting to use 44.1 and some use 48k then we need to verify before we go any further if DanS, the mixing guy, can mix the two rates simultaneously on his system. I know my system couldn't do it...

:wave:

Very good observation...have you already PM'd DanS?

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Still on board. Just waiting for you guys to be happy with a format and semi-arrangement that you like. I've not had any problem with MP3's in DP4.12...the first two projects, here, were done that way and no one seemed to have an issue.

I usually do 44.1/16 for you guys. Normally, I'm 48k, but that's so I can sync to Final Cut Pro.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

The necessary sliding is odd...I have no idea why you had to do that. :freak:

Hooper and I have talked a bit about the vocals. I'm going to try to do the verses a little more reserved, and continue to belt out the choruses and the ending. I may end up doing the verses in a lower register...I'll just have to see what I can do with the best pitch control. What I hear in my head is Eagles on the verse, Creed on the chorus, or something along those lines, with more build toward the end. I'm going to try to build quite a bit more contrast throughout the song. If I possibly can, I'll attempt to do a new track on Friday and post it.

Even though we're trading MP3's, I'm keeping WAV files. Presumably, we should be able to just use the WAV versions of the tracks rather than the MP3 versions in the final mix. I think that's essentially the plan, right?

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Okay...now I'm confused...

1) Am I still on roster for this one, or have I been replaced?

2) If I am still on roster, which download do I need? I need one with as many vocals and instruments as you're happy with right now, and without drums.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

quote:
Originally posted by DanS:

I'll take care of mixing if the spot is still open. :wave:

Are you still interested in other parts? I'd like to contribute, but I need to figure out Tracktion a bit first. I play guitar (acoustic or electric) , a little banjolin, a little dulcimer. And when background vox come into play I'd like to add some if you want any baritone.

Just let me know, Hooper.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

My plan is to wait until all tracks are finalized (while still downloading the latest mp3 versions for posterity), and then begin mixing, and if at that point I still feel there's room for some keys, I'll add at a that time, put an mp3 to get everyones opinion, and then go with a final mix. Is this OK?

BTW, nice tune. I agree that the vocals should be more reserved during the verses, ad then pumped for the choruses.

Nice job so far. :thu:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Okay, maybe we need to regroup just a bit before I go and get everybody cornfused... :confused:

Dave- That would be great if you do get a chance to update the lead vocal Friday night. If you do then I'll prepare a new clean guide mix for others to track by... actually, a mix without drums for offramp and then probably a click track on Left/Vocal(s)and guitar(s)on Right for everybody else. Basicaly nothing about the arrangement will be changing except we'll be trying to get tighter on dynamics and feeling.

DanS- Okay, on your plan to see about the keys.

Fantasticlamma- Would be glad to have your help. I don't know what kind of learning curve you're anticipating getting up to speed with Tracktion? Why not download the demo and see if you can do anything with it?

What else? :)

Archived