Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reaching Out - Music composition / recording

Okay, Ive been writing/rewriting/tracking/rewriting on this for about a week now so I guess its ready to toss it out and see if any people are interested to work together on it as one of the next tsunami project tunes? This is a basic concept DEMO, you know: warts and all (just fill in the usual disclaimers and excuses here: _____________) ~smile~

Thanks for listening.

The current working title is Reaching Out

http://www.abjconstruction.net/files/reachingdemo.mp3

[intro]

[Verse I]

I wasn't near to you

The day after Christmas

When the ocean went wild

Ahhh, the ocean went wild

But if you want me to

I will be with you now

And I will cry with you

I will cry with you

[Chorus I]

You don't know me and I don't suppose you ever will

(No, you never will..)

Reaching out somehow from the other side of the world

But I'm thinking of you now and I hope that you're alright

In the saddest place in the world tonight

[Verse II]

You had some dreams, I know

Places you wanted to go

And then the ocean went wild

Ahhh, the ocean went wild

Time will heal in time (Humm, na, na, na.)

But it takes a long, long time

'Till then I will dream with you

I will dream with you

[Chorus II]

You don't know me and I don't suppose you ever will

(No, you never will)

Reaching out somehow from the other side of the world

[ Instrumental break]

[Chorus reprise]

[Extro]

Reaching out, From the other side of the world

And I hope that you're alright. Reaching out... {repeat and fade}

Intro: E-A9/E | E-A9

Verse: E | A9 | C#m7 | Gm | B7

E | A9 | C#m7 | Gm | B7

Chorus: A | E | G# | C#m | A | E | B7

G# | C#m | A | Am7

E | B | E

Inbetween: E | A9

Instrumental break and Extro: E | C#m | A | B7

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I call drums on this one!

Would also like to give bass a shot, as well as some BG vox.

I call DRUMS! :D

Any way I can get a non-drum mix from you? I'd prefer a click in the countoff, only, if possible...leave the rest drumless.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Hopper, that is an excellent song!

Would love to do keys on this one.

I call Keys!! :D

And Hooper, I hope you don't mind, I've renamed this thread to Tsunami Song 4 as I think you are on a winner ;)

Harmonica, thats very interesting Ted. I was thinking Mandolin, accenting the 9ths and major7ths.

Its cool how you guys put things together I've been tracking the progress, and I want to contribute so bad, but I need the means to do so.

I know I said I could get software but I think my friend flaked on me so I'm gonna go out and buy some software tomorrow, either cakewalk or garage band...

Anyway, sorry for the intrusion! When I get what I need I can be of help in any way I can...

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Okay guys. Thanks for the positive response and it looks like weve got the start of a project team! Ill put up a roster and hopefully some more will jump in soon. Clearly theres not going to be the big deadline crunch here like there was Song #1 but hopefully we can get things moving quickly and keep some momentum going throughout the project!

Drums- Offramp

Keys- Nursers, DanS

Bass- C. Alexander Claber

Rhythm Guitar- Hooper

Other guitar 1 ____________

Other guitar 2 ____________

Lead Vocals ____________

Background Vocals- Offramp, Hooper, prblack, & ____________ & ____________

Ear Candy (harmonica, mandolin, bazooka??) ____________& __________

Mixing- DanS

Some organizational questions for discussion:

1) What about the song structure? Before we go any further do we need to make any adjustments to arrangement, tempo, chords..? Im not sure about the ending. If we would rather do a fade-out then we probably need to tag on a few more measures. What else?

2) Can we assume that we will be following the protocol set out by Dave Sisk, How To: Recording, overdubbing, and sharing tracks remotely for resolution, time sync, etc?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000344

3) The demo mix is at 115bpm. Can anyone tell me if that is still exactly in time after you convert mp3 to wav and import onto your system? If so, that might make it easier to get some preliminary work done (working out parts) BTW it would be nice for folks to mention what kind of platform they will be using.

4) Unfortunately, Im out in the sticks without broad band so uploading wavs is out for me. Maybe if someone else on the team can help I can mail them my wav tracks on a data CD and they can relay to the mixing guy via broadband? Doing this might help some of the other folks still on dial-up be able to participate too

So, What else?

Hooper, I think the structure and tempo are just fine. This whole tune has a Eagles-turned-Beatles-having-lunch-with-Tom Petty-and Finn Brothers-picking-up-the-tab kinda thing. It's a great mellow that one can sit in and get lost in for a few minutes.

Okay, welcome aboard C.Alexander Claber and prblack. I've updated the tentative roster on the post above.

We still need to recruit a lead vocal, a lead guitar player and a mix/mastering person. If you know of anybody, maybe send them over here to take a look and listen?

Offramp, I can put up a mix as-is without drums tonight if you still want to play with that. Keeping in mind that anything you record with it may not be usable when we get down to tracking 'keeper' tracks, due to possible sync error between wav and mp3 tracks. But I'll put that up if you want to mess around with it.

Actually, I only posted to say you did a good job on the demo. :thu:

I actually played along with the demo with a piano sound, and it worked for me. I wasn't asking to actually play on the finished track, but thanks for the invite. :)

Also, doesn't it seem like the same 7 or 8 people working on these songs? I'd like to hear other ppl's interpretations since I already know my own. :cool:

Okay man. And good point that we should try and bring in some more people who haven't already participated in the previous projects.

We still definitely still need someone to step up for the mixing/mastering job and there's still room for another guitar(s) especially for fills. The instrumental lead is undefined and could be guitar or synth or maybe something exotic that helps bring in some southeast Asian world flavor? We're just playing with the mp3 demo mixes now. When we get a mixing/mastering guy onboard I'll work with him to coordinate and get things organized and get out a wav guide track.

:cool:

Originally posted by offramp:

Hooper, your link isn't working.

Okay... I just checked all the links tht have anything to do with Hooper and they were all working. Which one were you talking about?

ALSO: Let me know if you're still interested in the demo mix without drums and I'll put it up for you.

:cool:

I'm referring to the one up above that you referenced for Tedster. Clicking on it does nothing, and even entering it into the URL field gets a "can't find server' response.

Yes, I would like a drumless mix. :D

Archived