Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reaching Out - Music composition / recording

Ok folks...I've posted vocal take #2. You guys take a listen to the sample mix and see if you think this is better in terms of more reserve during the verse, the building the chorus and end. I'm trying to fight off a cold right now...perfect timing, eh? :eek::freak:

The files are in www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/song4

The sample mix is Reach_VoxTake2.mp3.

The directly exported vocal track is Reach_VoxTake2_Mono.shn (shortened WAV file).

Hoop, since there's some reference track material leaking onto the vocal track, I decided to give you a direct export of the vocal track. It's a mono WAV file, but Shortened it's only 8.5 Mb, which is only twice the MP3 size. Will that work for you? (The only issue is that there's no clicks at the beginning, however see below.) I would really like to see if this fixes the minor sync problem you saw earlier.

Just as an FYI, I'm using RealPlayer to create the MP3's from the audio CD that I burn from my digital recorder. I could also use CoolEdit2000 as an alternative to burn MP3's from the WAV file rather than audit CD.

OK, on the track leakage, you can just barely hear the reference track on the vocal track itself...the only thing I can figure here is that the vocal mic is picking up the output of my headphones. Hopefully, it's low enough level that it will be masked in the mix?

One other note...on the original take I accidentally used an insert effect on my vocal...this one is straight up, no mods (other than whatever minor coloration the mic and mic pre might create).

PM me if you have anything urgent...otherwise I'll try to check back later this afternoon.

L8r,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, Dave. I just listened to the VoxTake2 mp3 here in my office with the headphones ongrinnin'. :) Way to go, man! I like this take very much. A big improvement over the first take, I think. Much more effective with the changes in dynamics and the ramping up from restrained at the beginning to belting it out nearer the end. I like it! :thu:

Now I'll work on getting the other instruments on the demo working together tighter with the lead vocal.

I'll wait until I get home this evening to download the .shn file. Glad you thought of that. I'll plan to be working on the updated demo for the next day or two. Then put up an mp3 Demo of the whole mix and also a simple Guide Track with click as wav/.shn so the others can download and start tracking.

Nice work and thanks for the great effort!

:cool:

Thx for the feedback, Hoop. I'm still not quite happy with my performance. After my nose clears up a bit, I'll try a few more takes similar to this one, and then the mixer can just use the one he thinks is the best (or cut-n-paste if he's feeling really adventuresome!)

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Here's the 'Reaching Out' demo mix update with Dave's vocal lead and all guitars and backing vocals re-tracked and re-mixed.

http://www.abjconstruction.net/files/ReachNewDemoMix.mp3

Will get the Guide Track up as soon as possible. My ears and brain are toast right now and there looks like a pretty good chance the ice storm is going to knock out the power tonight. Might just spend the rest of the weekend sittin' near the fireplace and pickin' a guitar.... ;)

I've just finished two days of painting and moving my father-in-law's office, so I'm tapped for tonight. Tomorrow, I plan on spending some quality time with myself and the mrs., maybe stop by an office liquidator place to check out a new chair for the studio/office...HOWEVER, I plan on trying to track some drums on Monday a.m. thru about 2 p.m.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Here is the 'final demo' for Tsunami Song #4 'Reaching Out'

Here is the main Guide Track. It is a 16/44.1 wav compressed by Shorten, using 'lossless compression' so you will have to use Shorten to decompress it back to a wav file. The stero wav file has the master click track on the Left and a simplified mono mix on the Right.

http://www.abjconstruction.net/files/ReachGuideTrack.shn

If you set the metronome on your multi-tracker to 115bpm and set the pointer to 00:00:000 before importing the wav file then you should find the clicks lining up perectly with the measure markers. Remember, we are all tracking and mixing at 16/44,100. Please prepare your wav tracks for DanS (doing the mix) the same way... with the master click track on the Left and your new track on the Right.

Here is a guide track without drums for offramp

http://www.abjconstruction.net/files/ReachGuideNo_Drums.shn

Okay guys.... You got da ball! :thu:

Originally posted by Hooper:

Here is the main Guide Track. It is a 16/44.1 wav compressed by Shorten, using 'lossless compression' so you will have to use Shorten to decompress it back to a wav file. The stero wav file has the master click track on the Left and a simplified mono mix on the Right.

If you set the metronome on your multi-tracker to 115bpm and set the pointer to 00:00:000 before importing the wav file then you should find the clicks lining up perectly with the measure markers. Remember, we are all tracking and mixing at 16/44,100. Please prepare your wav tracks for DanS (doing the mix) the same way... with the master click track on the Left and your new track on the Right.

Thanks heaps Hoop - I have a track to finalise for Song 2 then can't wait to jump into this :thu::thu:

I'm now shooting for wednesday tracking. It;s 2:00 a.m., and I've just gotten back from the emergency room; wife will need to rest tomorrow.

I can't believe how badly this year is starting out for me.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Those who are still interested to work on backing vocal tracks, we'll need to figure out who is doing what....

Originally posted by offramp:

I'm now shooting for wednesday tracking. It;s 2:00 a.m., and I've just gotten back from the emergency room; wife will need to rest tomorrow.

I can't believe how badly this year is starting out for me.

Dude...I hope everything is OK...hang in there.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I think I've got Tracktion figured out enough to record, but I've been having difficulty with the BPM.

115 wasn't quite right. Tracktion has the option to measure 1 beat or several to get the BPM. I attempted to measure one beat and it was way off in other places. Anyway, I'll just record to the click on the wav you supplied and it should be fine.

I would like to have a guide track with more rough tracks from others superimposed. I don't want to create a track or tracks that will interfere with the bass line or final rhythm tracks.

If one isn't up in the next day or so I'll work with the file already available.

Later, out.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Shars- Looks like we're on pace with #4 to follow pretty close behind completion of #2 and #3. We're checking that out now...

I know Dave and Hooper are working on lead vocal and guitar tracks and are about ready to go to mix. Could the others please check in and let us know the status of your tracks....?

Nursers?

Offramp?

Alex?

fantasticllama- Don't know what's happening with Traction and the BPM... but as you said, sticking with the click on the Reach GuideTrack is the way to go. ReachNewDemoMix is gonna be the best clue I can give you as to what the other parts are going to sound like. Glad to hear that you're working on something! What instrument(s) are you playing around with now?

Anybody else- Hooper would still love to have some help with the backing vocals. Please PM me if you would like to participate so we can figure out who will sing what and when.

thanks,

Hoop

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

What the hell has happened to the key this song was in? The original demo is but this is way off - either I'm going mad or it's not in A=440Hz!!!

Alex

Wait a second, the tempo has shifted too - what is Cubase up to?

Alex

Could the others please check in and let us know the status of your tracks....?

Nursers?

Offramp?

Alex?

thanks,

Hoop

Hey Hoop,

Hoping to do some keys for you this weekend - spent some time this week getting some more stuff done for song 2. :thu:

Okay, thanks Nursers!

Alex- So, did you figure out what was going on there? Dave has made new tracks using that same Guide Track and sent them back to me (using .shn) And I can convert his track back to wav, drop it in at 00:00:000 and everything is in sync and in tune. So, I'm thinkin' the Guide Track is okay...

Alex, make sure you're using the right sampling rate...WAV's of different sampling rates will load in most stuff...they just have the wrong tempo and key... ;)

HTH,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Maybe Cubase had tried to play the 44.1kHz file back at 48kHz - that would fit with the tempo/pitch shift. Anyway, I restarted the computer and imported the file into a new Cubase song and it worked fine.

Unfortunately I didn't, and failed to pull off a clam free take in the 30 minute window I had. I'll see if I can get a good take before a go away on business, if not it'll have to be next Tuesday.

Alex

Worked on it. I should have something by Wednesday.

If any of you non-Pro Tools guys want to try a neat program I'd suggest checking out Tracktion. It may still be available for free, too.

The interface is a bit different than the linear emulation I've seen on N-track and other, older systems. But once you get the hang of it, it's about the easiest interface to deal with I've seen. :thu:

Inputs (whether midi or audio) are enabled in a settings tab, then they live as individual "blocks" to the left of the tracks. Drag a block near a track and an arrow points to the track indicating that track is armed to record. You can mouse click and scroll to expand or contract the timeline and track height can be doubled for individual tracks by double clicking on the head, for easier editing. Drag and drop is also used to place filters (which can actually be anything from an effects plug in to a meter to volume and pan control) in a chain on either a track or the master section. And you can drop filters into individual clips (edits) within a track. If you want to add echo to a single hit in the middle of a track, simply mark, split the clip into two or three clips and add the delay line to the appropriate section. Very cool!

Oh.. and the interface appears to be very

CPU friendly. My poor Celeron 600MHz Pavillion runs well despite also being the home computer with oodles of installed programs. :rolleyes:

Definitely worth a look.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Okay, Neil. Sounds cool.

What instrument(s) are you playing with?

DanS- Did those tracks sync up alright for you?

Dave- I tried to respond to your PM this morning but couldn't because your box is full. You want to go ahead and contact DanS and let him know where he can download your vocal track?

Done! Just uploading the files to www.spiderplant.net/alex

One is a 16/44.1 wav with click on the left and bass on the right, the other is a mono MP3 mix with the vocal, guitar and drum machine from the guide track plus the final bass take LOUD in the mix so y'all can tell me if you like (or at least can tolerate) what I've done.

I found this perversely hard - it felt like everything on the guide track bar the kick was way behind the beat and so to get myself playing up with the kick and not days behind with the snare I ended up tracking with the click blasting out at full volume. To think of the days when I was always rushing ahead of the beat - I must be getting too greasy in my senior years... ;)

Alex

Alex,

Well, I definitely would like to hear what the others think in case Im just waaaay off with this opinion but heres what I think. I listened to the bass w/ mix twice at the office and then again after I got home. Sorry, I just dont think that bass line is working man. Check out the NewDemoMix again. Hear how the bass line (almost all 1/8th notes) is working as the 1st rhythmic element with the drums and in contrast with the two guitars which are working together as the 2nd rhythmic element? I realize theres nothing Golden about the bass line on the demo mix however there is at least a basic ;) rhythmic plan going on there. Most of the time I hear your bass line playing a similar rhythmic element as the guitars and so theres no contrast. Listen to the NewDemoMix again and turn up the bass! Regarding the snare, kick and click... All done by robots playing in lockstep. If youre hearing something draggin it must be the guitars (my fault) If you stick with the click and the drums youre gonna be right on. Would be glad if you would be willing to take another shot at it. Anyway... that's my opinion. Anybody else?

Archived