Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's write a song for the Tsunami victims!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So whats the plan of action then chaps (and chapesses)

Logistics logistics.

Ted puts his rough trac up for open perusal and changes to whatever aspect or other?

then to re record his rhythm and vocals final version?

Fires it off to forceman for a bass layunder?

Fires it over to funkJ for a tasteful and well placed guitar part? then to any of the other musicians inputs etc.

Have to keep all the tracks seperate, to send to one of our resident expert mixers and masterers?

meanwhile Shars has her guys talking to their guys and awaiting delivery?

Tight timeframe.

I wish i could help out more but theres probably a thousand people here who can do the useful things much much better than me.

I was thinking last night that i have facilities at work for live internet broadcasting, but 1. then everyone would be able to hear it for free therefore defeating the purpose and 2. my boss would probably flip and i'd loose my job!

Have we got any rough ideas folks?

Time is of the essence here to try and get this done and out to help as many as we can.

I have spoken to a dear friend about trying to get a bassline from a well known bassist so as to attract some publicity to the track and I am also on the case re getting this out and about within the next 48hrs.

What ideas have people got so far?

Originally posted by The Sharster Of Crimbo Yet To Come:

Have we got any rough ideas folks?

Time is of the essence here to try and get this done and out to help as many as we can.

I have spoken to a dear friend about trying to get a bassline from a well known bassist so as to attract some publicity to the track and I am also on the case re getting this out and about within the next 48hrs.

What ideas have people got so far?

Shars...I have an idea, but I won't be able to put it on until this evening when I get home from work. I think it's a sound idea...but, by no means should everyone hold the presses and wait for me. I mean, you all might wait, stifling other avenues, only to finally hear my idea and go...ACK... :freak:

So, I am working on it within the constraints of my schedule. ;)

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

WOuld it infringe on copyrights if we were to use a recording from a BBC news report as the intro to our song?

I thought it might help identify the plight, and set the mood for the song.

a bit like the "failure to communicate" intro that Guns and Roses did.

bad example but i've heard it done before and it worked.

Thanks guys

I might aswell say what I have been up to this evening.

I am trying to get the great Stanley Clarke onboard to lay a bassline down and it may help to push this track forward but I need you all to be happy with this idea. I am just waiting for a yes.

I will also be getting hold of Unicef to see if they can push the track via their media outlets aswell as Oxfam and theres a deadline here.

An appeal will go out on UK TV in the next 2 days and if we can get this track onto the appeal, we can raise awareness to the raiseing a few quid from it for the fund.

I am trying here but I need a rough draft as soon as possible to pass onto Mr.Clarke and a MP3 format would be great.

But whatever happens, please just carry on adding your input into the track and I will keep pushing it under the noses of the people who can help.

I'll do anything. Guitar seems to be already covered. but, keyboards, percussion or any other 'nuances' I can do. I can also do backup vocals..

If nothing else, send me drum tracks and I'll nuke em with my distressor. :P

0096 2251 2110 8105

I am trying to get the great Stanley Clarke onboard to lay a bassline down

:eek::eek::eek:

I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!

No shit, Shars, I mean, nobody in their right mind would pass up a chance to collaborate with Stanley Clarke...but I mean..., speaking strictly for myself...me collaborating with Stanley Clarke would be like the guy who painted your neighbor's garage collaborating with Rembrandt.

If Stanley's onboard, then better get some other lightweights, like Chick Corea, Pat Metheny or John McLaughlin, y'know, some of those other "beginners" :eek::D

Originally posted by Tedster '05:

I am trying to get the great Stanley Clarke onboard to lay a bassline down

:eek::eek::eek:

I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!

No shit, Shars, I mean, nobody in their right mind would pass up a chance to collaborate with Stanley Clarke...but I mean..., speaking strictly for myself...me collaborating with Stanley Clarke would be like the guy who painted your neighbor's garage collaborating with Rembrandt.

If Stanley's onboard, then better get some other lightweights, like Chick Corea, Pat Metheny or John McLaughlin, y'know, some of those other "beginners" :eek::D

lol...i'm doing my best here Ted to try and get as much promo happening as I can and if it means asking heavy weights, well that what we do right?

I think Stanley being the kind of down to earth, easy going guy with morals (and i mean the most decent of people around in the Biz) he will do his best to help, time permitting.

I know there are a few projects hes on at the moment and he'll try grabbing a few moments to help out but I have made it clear that it only needs to be a basic bassline with no heavy studio input.

I would try Mark King to but somehow I think he might say no but I am trying my best anyhow.

Will get back soon as I have news.

Hey all, Shars dropped this on the LD, I thought I'd come by.

I was going to offer my services as a bass player, as I am not too bad. But if you are thinking about the likes of Clarke and King, I think I'd best opt out of any bass chair.

Vocals, percussion, whatever I can do, though, I'm down for.

Otherwise, I have some Broadcast promotions and marketing experience, if that is of any use.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

wraub

I sure can use your help promoting this.

Any help with getting it to the right people would be great.

As for Clarke/King, please do add your basslines aswell, its not about you cant do this because of the named players but about what you can contribute as an indivdual and bassist.

You may come up with something we can all work with so please do add...the more the merrier i think.

God. That intro is sobering. Would it be possible to get little clips in different languages that merge into each other? I mean, because this isn't a national tragedy, it's a global tragedy. I hesitate to use the term "Biblical Proportions", but, it certainly could be close when all of the dead are counted.

Right now, the purpose as I see it is to arrive at something and record it. It would be nice to have it noticed, but, as artists, that's what we do. Sure, some group of famous folks will get together and do their own, but...this needs to be done for our own sanity.

the skynews thing was just a mix of some brief reports i caught on sknews, i think i'll still wait for the news at ten and record some of the headlines.

i was experimenting with reverse reverb effects on the sound bytes of eyewitnesses and things, but i started to disturb myself

What you guys think of using it?

anyone coming up with ideas?

if anything it'll be good if my effort inspires someone to do something better! :D

I have an idea.

If anyone is on MSN, please add eachother to their contacts list.

I can be added by Sharminhall@msn.com

I have left messages for the people i said i would contact this morning and its a bank holiday here so hoping they check their messages at some point and get to me today.

If anyone has any ideas in the US please go ahead and do it and let us all know how we can help.

Hey Shars,

Have added you on my MSN Messenger :thu:

Ok, have just got out of bed and seen the great work being done - what a way to wake up :thu::thu:

Can I suggest this as way forward:

1. Tedster submits lyrics as soon as he is able.

2. We then come up with a chord progression. We can do this by consensus as much as feasible, or we caqn all submit ideas. I personally would like to come up with a chord sequence and see what you think - I could do this within an hour or two after lyrics.

3. Shars continues her superb work. My view on the celebrity thing is that if they are keen we get em to play a role. I see this song as achieving two things: an outlet for our feelings on the tragedy, and an opportunity to get some money flowing to the victims.

I hope that sounds ok, and i hope I'm not coming across dictatorial - I just know these things can flounder if not structured a little. I am going to create five threads here:

Tsunami - Lyrics / Title

Tsunami - Music

Tsunami - Marketing / Networks

Tsunami - Mixing / Mastering

Tsunami - Discussion / news

This could be very good :thu:

Originally posted by forceman:

I could probably throw down some bass lines if you could stomach them.. :)

I wouldn't mind doing one as well... :P
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Heck, for that matter, you can come on down and we can mix it here if you want - you mixing, me assisting. What do you think? :wave:

That'd be really cool, Phil! I'll see if I can pull off a trip south.

I enjoy co-mixing; I can really get a groove on with a mixing partner or two. It wouldn't be a matter of anyone "assisting," per se; everybody gets their little fingers on the faders. Of course, that only works if you really trust the other mixer(s), which isn't a problem here, as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, FoxTick might be into joining me on the trek to Riverside. He's an excellent audio engineer, ya know! And he had previously offered up his console to help mix this song. He'll probably check in here soon.

Archived