Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Pink Floyd sells out for $400 million

Bill H.

58 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I'm not sure who will buy an AI PF song. I know I won't. IDC if it sounds perfect. My fear is that we will be put in confined spaces like elevators and force fed AI prog music until we confess to infractions of AI-Phobia and other anti social hate crimes against AI. 

OPEN THE DOOR SIRI,

I CANT DO THAT BALDWIN....

I can't see why anyone would pay $400 million for the catalogue and then create AI songs under the brand name. Doesn't really resonate, I'm sure they already have pretty good ideas for how to get their investment back with a good return long term, if there's something them bean counters are really good at it's counting beans and making sure they get a proper ROI..

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Glad to see these cats get the money and peace of mind that they deserve. Gilmour along with the Wright and Mason estates should not have to keep hassling with Waters about money issues. It’s time to completely isolate themselves from that crap and live the rest of their lives in peace.  

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 hour ago, J.F.N. said:

I can't see why anyone would pay $400 million for the catalogue and then create AI songs under the brand name. Doesn't really resonate, I'm sure they already have pretty good ideas for how to get their investment back with a good return long term, if there's something them bean counters are really good at it's counting beans and making sure they get a proper ROI..

I think a better wording than "sell out" would be "cash in".  They're selling a monetized asset -- the drip, drip, drip of constant royalty streams.  I would assume that catalog valuation would be driven by the popularity and longevity of the songs in the catalog.  How many times have we heard "White Rabbit" in a movie for example?

Nobody's waiting around for some futuristic AI scenario, that's for sure.  The money is there today: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-catalog-sale/

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

4 hours ago, HammondDave said:

Glad to see these cats get the money and peace of mind that they deserve. Gilmour along with the Wright and Mason estates should not have to keep hassling with Waters about money issues. It’s time to completely isolate themselves from that crap and live the rest of their lives in peace.  

I totally understand getting the money due.

However, I seriously doubt Gilmour and those estates are stressed out from having money issues. 

I certainly don't believe concerned parties are currently employed at McDonald's or Wal-Mart.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, cphollis said:

Nobody's waiting around for some futuristic AI scenario, that's for sure.  The money is there today: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-catalog-sale/

Since the figure in that article is vague, I looked it up. Turns out that $58.5 million figure was from an expert witness a court case involving Stairway To Heaven. It was his best guess what total Led Zeppelin royalties were over a five year period between 2011 and 2016. 

If you assume that the entire Led Zeppelin catalog ever came up for sale (which it probably won't) for $585 million (and it would probably be much higher) it would still take 50 years to recoup that investment on royalties alone. Given the exorbitant prices these firms are paying for the rights to these artists, I think Eric is onto something with his AI angle. 

13 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

...it would still take 50 years to recoup that investment on royalties alone. Given the exorbitant prices these firms are paying for the rights to these artists, I think Eric is onto something with his AI angle. 

Right.  Even at less than 50 years, I don't believe the fanbase for old Rock bands or dead musicians is growing fast enough to recoup investment costs by creating AI tribute bands for them. 

IOW, no amount of AI generated Pink Floyd or other tribute bands or soundalike music will rake in $400 million over any period of time.  The audience will have expired before recoup of investment. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

. . . no amount of AI generated Pink Floyd or other tribute bands or soundalike music will rake in $400 million over any period of time.

And just how airtight is this deal, anyway?  Does Sony get the rights to Dirk McQuickly's post-Rutles Punk Floyd oeuvre?  Can they pull a "My Sweet Lord" action against him? 

PunkFloydDirkMcQuickly.jpg.3134adf89cc933627231f3e3dd0c518a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

Can Pink Anderson and Floyd Council sue Sony for trademark appropriation or name confusion.

(Look at me pretending I know something). I know when I google Pink Anderson  and Floyd Council I always get Roger Waters. That's clear infringement. Yeah their dead,  so what.

• Like 2

FunMachine.

20 hours ago, CyberGene said:

The good news with any Rap music is, I don’t have to first check if it was composed by Hitler. I hate all rap anyway 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Love 1