Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O.T. What's your currently most read book?

When Pride Still Mattered (Vince Lombardi bio) by David Maraniss.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

The Physicians' Desk Reference (PDR), now Prescriber's Digital Reference. 😬

"Death With Interruptions" by Jose Saramago.

Interesting pair. 🤨

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

My most re-read book is probably "Centuria" by Giorgio Manganelli. I strongly recommend it; there is a (good) English version.

Books I've read recently:

- "Games People Play" by Eric Berne

- "Harold" by Steven Wright

- "Astrofisica per Curiosi" (Astrophysics for the Curious) by Gabriele Ghisellini

Currently, I'm reading "Platone per Sognatori" (Plato for Dreamers) by Allan Percy.

I pretty much only read sci-fi and fantasy, and my favorites rotate around every few years.   Dune, Lord of the Rings, Neuromancer etc.

I also am all audiobook these days.  I do a lot of "reading" on walks or at the gym.  My eyes are not great and I find the voice actors can add quite a bit to my enjoyment.6   Special award for pretty much the only mystery stories I listen to, the original Sherlock Holmes stories.  I put those on every year or two :)  

I used to be a huge reader... these days I'm much more of a book collector. But, I definitely have a set of books I've returned to multiple times:

• Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (Adams)
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency/Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul (Adams)
  • Hyperion (Simmons)
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)
  • Dune (Herbert)
  • Wizard of Earthsea series (LeGuin)
  • A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller)
  • Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein)
  • The Sandman comic/graphic novel collection (Gaiman)

I have a few non-sci-fi/fantasy novels that I've also read repeatedly (this list may give itself away as all being books I read first in an English class):

• Wuthering Heights (Bronte)
  • The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
  • A Yellow Raft in Blue Water (Dorris)
  • Reservation Blues (Alexie)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

... there are probably a few I've left off that list as tastes change and memory fades, but everything here I've read at least three times, and some (Tolkien, Adams, LeGuin) 10+.

Brilliant Blunders: From Darwin to Einstein - Even as a pre-teen I was fascinated by the psychology of scientists. The attitude of always being right. The belief that all that can exist is what can be currently proven. Refusal by many scientists to consider that the history of scientific advancements and blunders could mean that what we think we know now may be disproven in the future. The book focuses on famous scientists and glosses over many things the science community once believed. The world is flat. The Milky Way is all there is in the universe. AIDS can only be transmitted by sexual intercourse. Surgeons don't need to wash their hands between patient surgeries. The scientists who pioneered breakthroughs like genetic inheritance, the structure of atoms, the existence of germs and much, much more were harassed mercilessly by colleagues who were sure that these theories could never be reality. 

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Since you ask, most-read is the Bible, 1980s NIV translation, probably 4 or 5 times through. 

Second place goes to Darrell Huff's short 1950s masterpiece, "How to Lie with Statistics."

Honorable mention: Edward Tufte's "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information."

• Like 2

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Probably Allen Strange’s Electronic Music: Systems, Technics, Controls. I had a copy of it on permanently overdue status from the music library when I was in college, bought the terrible photocopied reprint from the publisher in the ‘90’s, and got the fabulous new reprint recently.

You can get the reprint here, I can’t recommend it highly enough if you are interested in analog modular synthesis: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/allen-strange-electronic-music-soft-cover.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpN13-08282&sc_intid=N13-08282&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAC5pbEn5bWcO_Vx4LIn-Jo_G3e9VI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIua79koWOiAMVjzqtBh3q5SEdEAQYASABEgLpkvD_BwE

image.thumb.jpeg.3d9a9482767a1e6f616cf1b9fba1dbb0.jpeg

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

My brother and I share Dad's interest in trains and he had a big library of train history books.  After both parents had to be placed in long term care, their fully furnished house had to be emptied to put it on the market to sell.  My brother got Dad's model trains, and I got Dad's train book library.  There are many books that I had not yet read but I'm always pulling a book out of that library to read.  I love reading about railroad history.

When I relocated south to the new job, the movers packed the books with my belongings.  Here's the library in my current home:

home-guest-room-2023-01-20-5.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 6:31 PM, NewImprov said:

Probably Allen Strange’s Electronic Music: Systems, Technics, Controls.

A fantastic book. Despite being old, it approaches synthesis from a practical, yet deep point of view.

• Love 1

Seem to come back to these regularly:

Maus - Art Spiegelman
Catcher In The Rye - J D Salinger
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell
The Wimbledon Poisoner - Nigel Williams

The Stranger - Albert Camus

Watchmen - Alan Moore

As a father and grandfather I'd have to say the one I've read the most is "Goodbye Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown.

• Like 2

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

16 hours ago, wineandkeyz said:

As a father and grandfather I'd have to say the one I've read the most is "Goodbye Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown.

Ugh... And of course I meant "Goodnight Moon."

• Like 2

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

My current almost-read book:  “The Only Girl – My Life and Times on the Masthead of Rolling Stone” by Robin Green.  Green skewers the cruel old stereotype that rock journalists are “people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read”.  Hers is a unique perspective for the times.  She knew everyone during rock’s golden age and holds nothing back in her impressively well-crafted reminiscences about them.  She also wrote scripts for The Sopranos.  Joan Didion was a big fan.

Here’s the pitch that turned me on to this book:  https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2023/10/18/the-only-girl/ 

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

8 hours ago, wineandkeyz said:

Ugh... And of course I meant "Goodnight Moon."

Goodbye Moon sounds like a Liu Cixin novel. 

“Everything was fine until the moon disappeared…”

• Wow! 1
I make software noises.

On 8/22/2024 at 8:38 AM, Sharkman said:

Life, by Keith Richards.  I have read Keith's autobiography about six times now, and it fascinates me every time.

I'm all about the autobiographies: I'll have to check this out. Just did Chrissie Hynde's: very good.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Did the audiobook of this, still finishing it. It's absolutely terrific. And he mentions Oberheims and PPG Waves.

wlz6vf8eigsa1.jpg