Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prophet Rev 2 - significant price increase

Hey gang, I know that prices go up over time, but I think the increase in this case is, maybe a wee bit excessive!

I bought a new Rev 2, 8 voice keyboard just before Covid for $2000 Canadian.

That keyboard at the same retailer is now $3500 Canadian.

Is this increase in line with what you have seen in the industry over the past 5 years?

Curiously yours,

Canoehead

They've been built back better

• Haha 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

That’s a pretty digitally sounding analog synth. It is not a warm vintage classic that would be worth it for the studio since a VA would (arguably and ironically) sound more “analog”. And in live situation the only advantage over any workstation or digital keyboard/synth would be the “Sequential” brand name visible by the audience (provided they know and care). YMMV

On 8/17/2024 at 11:31 PM, TomKittel said:

it is quite possible that moog muse will force sequencial to be more modest in pricing again.

Even with the price hike it is still $1K cheaper than the Muse. The 16 voice Rev2 is cheaper than the Muse as well (at least here in the U.S.). But…I still want the Muse. 😁

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

On 8/21/2024 at 11:04 PM, CyberGene said:

That’s a pretty digitally sounding analog synth. It is not a warm vintage classic that would be worth it for the studio since a VA would (arguably and ironically) sound more “analog”. And in live situation the only advantage over any workstation or digital keyboard/synth would be the “Sequential” brand name visible by the audience (provided they know and care). YMMV

I would definitely not agree with your judgement of the rev2. 

• Like 1

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Well, you can make it sounding very warm and vintage and I’ve myself been tempted by a video with killer vintage set of patches by a Polish guy. But the truth is I can make my Hydrasynth sounding very analog too. So, the point here is not whether you can make a synth to be vintage-warm sounding but rather have a synth that is inherently warm such as Prophet 5/6, OB-6, etc. The rev2 is kinda sterile by default, it has DCO-s and many people say you have to work it out to get away from its colder sound signature. 

On 8/18/2024 at 7:31 AM, TomKittel said:

it is quite possible that moog muse will force sequencial to be more modest in pricing again.

And just wait until B releases their 16 voice poly AT version of the Prophet.. (for a Quarter or Third of the price)  *looking at my credit card with lust*

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

5 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Well, you can make it sounding very warm and vintage and I’ve myself been tempted by a video with killer vintage set of patches by a Polish guy. But the truth is I can make my Hydrasynth sounding very analog too. So, the point here is not whether you can make a synth to be vintage-warm sounding but rather have a synth that is inherently warm such as Prophet 5/6, OB-6, etc. The rev2 is kinda sterile by default, it has DCO-s and many people say you have to work it out to get away from its colder sound signature. 

well, you said that the rev2 is a digitally sounding synth and any VA would sound more „analog“ and I don’t agree with such statement. not at all. I have it here next to my Prophet 6 and f.e. it can do very convincing OB sounds which the P6 can’t in the same way and none of the VAs I owned ever could. I would rather call the System 8 digitally sounding for example. 

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I chose the Summit over the Rev2 originally because it was a bit more versatile with some FM and wavetable sounds for live use.  I'm sure I would have been very happy with the Rev 2 as well though.

A big extra feature that I didn't consider when I bought was that Novation provides a very nice and handy web-based librarian.  My friend had nothing for his Rev2 to help him move patches around/save/restore banks.   This made it super easy to assemble a starting custom bank of my favorite patches from the factory banks and the many others that Novation provided free.   This is a feature that IMO all manufacturers should provide.  Nord's is very nice as well.

31 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I chose the Summit over the Rev2 originally because it was a bit more versatile with some FM and wavetable sounds for live use.  I'm sure I would have been very happy with the Rev 2 as well though.

For the brief time that I owned a Novation Summit, I chose it over the DSI REV2 for the very same reason. 

Getting past the expectations of *how* a synth *should* sound and using it as a musical instrument is where the magic happens.😎 

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The original version of the REV2 (Prophet ‘08) was also not that intriguing to me either, honestly - mainly because it was basically the less-interesting half of the (4 osc) Poly Evolver.  

The Evolver engine’s 12-bit waveforms from the Prophet VS set combined with the Curtis oscillators that DSI used in the P’08/REV2 were so much fun when combined, though….and still are.  I love my PEK. 🥰

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

On 8/24/2024 at 4:00 AM, TomKittel said:

I would definitely not agree with your judgement of the rev2. 

I found this video so interesting. In this demonstration of simple pads and sawtooth sounds, the Rev 2 blows both the Prophet and Oberheim away (IMHO), especially  onsidering the price difference.  But who has $5000 for a synth anyway?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Ironically I sold my summit because the synth sounds in both my Nord stage 3 and now Fantom get things done live for me.  Digital, modeling, I don't care what makes the sound.    The Fantom in particular is quite "hi-fi" as far as synth sounds, and I'm very very pleased with it in that regard.  Rhodes and some other sounds, eh :)  

That said, the stuff I've heard in demos from both the OB6 and OBX8 sounded extremely good to me, so ymmv :)  I just can't justify one for my level (and song selection) of live playing.  Heck I don't bring out the Fantom to a lot of gigs where I want to keep things light in case of inclement weather.

13 minutes ago, Stokely said:

That said, the stuff I've heard in demos from both the OB6 and OBX8 sounded extremely good to me, so ymmv :)  I just can't justify one for my level (and song selection) of live playing.  Heck I don't bring out the Fantom to a lot of gigs where I want to keep things light in case of inclement weather.

I hear ya.  I am thinking “how could I integrate this into my live performance?” , and I quickly realize that for the few songs that I use synth pads and leads my MODX does just fine.  And that only cost me $1300!

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Down that path lies madness....you'll start wondering whether anyone will notice if you just played a kazoo sample for every song, or "accidentally" left your keyboard off for the gig...

One gig not long ago, this excited slightly buzzed guy was like "man, I loved the stuff you were playing!  I love when bands have keyboards, they add something extra! ......You might want to turn up a bit though, I couldn't really hear you....."

Or when our singer was looking at my own Modx7, which I'd been using at gigs for a year, and asked..."Is that a new keyboard?"    "Well, it was...."

I don't have a complex, you have a complex!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, HammondDave said:

But who has $5000 for a synth anyway?

There's no shortage of folks with disposable income nowadays who grew in the 1980s drooling over Keyboard magazine. 

Then, there's the folks with disposable income because they chose to skip marriage and family.

The synth market is a niche one but definitely sustainable in 1st world economies.😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Then, there's the folks with disposable income because they chose to skip marriage and family.

The synth market is a niche one but definitely sustainable in 1st world economies.😎

Yeah, I am in that latter category. But I try to be reasonable when it comes to spending money on toys, which this would be.  So maybe the Moog Muse or Rev 2 16