Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me appreciate Jarrett

This reminds me of my college days when I majored in music and chemistry (don't ask) and we were studying Mozart.  I appreciate what a genius he was but couldn't understand why I did not enjoy his music.  I found it tedious and repetetive.  I thought there was something wrong with me and kept buying new records (long before CD and streaming) still couldn't enjoy it.  I realized in the classical world I love Bach and the Romantic composers, but not much in between.  I accepted my somewhat aberrant tastes and moved on.  As far as Keith Jarrett, he is one of my favorite jazz musicians.  I particularly love his Standards recordings and The Melody at Night, with You.  The more avant garde stuff is amazing from a spontaneous composition perspective, but I need to be in a certain mood to enjoy it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteinwayB said:

we were studying Mozart.  I appreciate what a genius he was but couldn't understand why I did not enjoy his music.  I found it tedious and repetetive.  I thought there was something wrong with me and kept buying new records (long before CD and streaming) still couldn't enjoy it.  I realized in the classical world I love Bach and the Romantic composers, but not much in between.  I accepted my somewhat aberrant tastes and moved on.

Same.  Years later i came across a somewhat infamous video on youtube where Glenn Gould claims that Mozart was a genius who became a lazy hack.  Whether you agree with him or not, he explained my disinterest in Mozart perfectly.  Worth a watch.

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

On 8/13/2024 at 10:04 PM, CEB said:

That's okay.  You don't have to like everything.

This has already been quoted but I had to double tap because it's the gospel here.

The beauty of this art we call music is so much of it out there. One size doesn't have to fit all.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 8/13/2024 at 7:04 PM, CEB said:

That's okay.  You don't have to like everything.  Craig Taborn is an absolutely brilliant pianist but I can't get into him.  We all like different stuff.  That is what makes it cool.

It’s especially important to keep this in mind when sharing the music we create. If someone happens not to like it, that doesn’t mean it’s bad. Someone else may love it!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

It may as simple as people resonate at different frequencies. Either music resonates at similar frequencies with particular people, or it doesn't. I don't how else to explain why some music brings me to tears yet is completely neutral to other people...or vice-versa.

• Like 2

If you don't appreciate Jarrett it's fine. It's not something I would want to announce but it's fine.  Mr. Jarrett may not think much of you either.

Me? I think he's so ****ing killer it's beyond words. Thankfully a planet of people tuned in.

Can't ignore he probably was influenced by John Coates jr. as Keith played drums in his band.

Dear Head Inn is in Delaware water gap, Pa. where John played. They have a jazz fest around labor day each year.

One year I was at the fest and talked to a couple about John wondering if he would be playing. 

Turned out they were his parents. They told me some things he was going through and I'll keep that private.

John Coates jr played great and I think definiteley influenced Keith. 

They talk about him after about 3 min mark.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 8/15/2024 at 12:40 PM, George88 said:

Over the Rainbow, an encore from La Scala; and Tokyo Encore from Sun Bear Concerts may be my favorite “moments” from his recordings.  Over the Rainbow, in particular, is sublime. 

A friend of mine, who is a classical pianist, played a note for note transcription of that same Over the Rainbow encore once while we were at her house. I didn’t know it and was so captivated, I went and purchased the entire CD straight away (that was long ago, maybe in 2005, I’ve not been into CD-s for quite a long time, might as well be my last purchased CD). Well, what a disappointment. The only track I liked was Over the Rainbow 😀 But it’s sublime indeed, such beautiful chords and voicings. One can learn a lot about jazz harmony from his ballades. The guy’s harmonic mastery is excellent, it’s very traditional and “by the book”, yet very original. I recently remembered about that transcription and recorded it, not my best playing though:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, re Pete said:

Can't ignore he probably was influenced by John Coates jr. as Keith played drums in his band.

Dear Head Inn is in Delaware water gap, Pa. where John played. They have a jazz fest around labor day each year.

One year I was at the fest and talked to a couple about John wondering if he would be playing. 

Turned out they were his parents. They told me some things he was going through and I'll keep that private.

They talk about him after about 3 min mark.

Very true. Jarrett would rarely acknowledge any influences, but Coates is absolutely important in his development. Paul Bley as well (to my ears). 

I love practically all of it, so that's just how it goes, but I would "start people off" on the Scandanavian Quartet records of the, the mid '70s solo stuff, and the standards trio with Peacock and DeJohnette--across the decades, some of his most lucid playing. I love how he often chooses to solo monophonically, something that I have seen one of my favorite current players, Dan Tepfer, do as well.

Now my judgment of classical pianists is probably exactly as ignorant as my judging of Olympic gymnasts, BUT...Keith has done a lot of classical. I believe his Bach is pretty well regarded (and often on harpsicord, right?) but it was his pass of Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues that got me into that incredible work, though I was later corrected for regarding Keith's recording of it highly...

And if ALL that fails for you, there is always his insane singer-songwriter record, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

On 8/16/2024 at 2:39 AM, re Pete said:

"Can't ignore he probably was influenced by John Coates jr. as Keith played drums in his band.

They talk about him after about 3 min mark."

I agree that John Coates was an early influence for Jarrett.  Prologue (No. 39) is one that comes to mind.

Jarrett's first release on ecm. A solo piano studio recording.  This was my first Jarrett recording and "In Front" is still one of my favorites.