Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I know this is ot, but Dions performance at 2024 Olympic opening left me speechless!

Absolutely brilliant!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I spent 7 1/2 years of my life in the city of light, I love Celine singing in French (her french interpretation is imho so much more connected with her than when she sings in English), and Piaf is very close to my heart, not a dry eye here after this...

• Thanks 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

5 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

I love Celine singing in French (her french interpretation is imho so much more connected with her than when she sings in English)

QFT. Celine is much more authentic here than "My Heart Will Go On" or whatever.

Cheers, Mike.

22 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

QFT. Celine is much more authentic here than "My Heart Will Go On" or whatever.

Cheers, Mike.

She's done a lot of great stuff in French, I listen to her every now and then, but never in English...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

That Dion … Nevermind.  

I thought this was a thread about the great Dion Dimucci.  

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

2 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

It seems it was not live after all:

I should say I am a bit underwhelmed by this, but it is understandable given all the factors, as commented on the video

hmm, I'd be disputing the validity of this...guy is a bit of a troll!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

6 hours ago, miden said:

Why?. He uses tools and common sense to find pitch correction. Have you watched the video in full?

I didn’t see her performance, but I did see a lot of the opening spectacular and clearly none of the music was live.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

10 hours ago, miden said:

Having no experience in mining after pitch correction, but having experience in well educated singers who also happen to have perfect pitch phasing out their own voice when overdubbing, make me question the method. However, in a situation like this I would not be at all surprised if they chose to run a prerecorded track, big ass global event, Celine not in her best condition...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle..........

->  She "sang it live for the piano guy", who heard it -- but for the broadcast, we all heard the prerecorded track done in a studio.

I've had singers tell me that it's much easier (and more accurate, when viewed by others) to "sing along" with your own track, than it is to be quiet and lip-sync it -- the breathing and movements of your lips and face are different between the two.

And notice she did have a device in her ear............

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Why do people just want to tear other artists down?  Are they that unhappy with their lives?  Sad indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I know people involved in the show. She sang it live. It seemed pretty damn obvious to me. 

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I know people involved in the show. She sang it live. It seemed pretty damn obvious to me. 

I definitely got the impression that that it was live too, afaik she doesn't have perfect pitch (referring to the patterns in that analysis video) but she's a machine and probably has a ridiculous control over her instrument/voice.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

14 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

There are some nuances and tone perfection which are just impossible without some fine tuning on the voice. The spectrum analysis, which in turn shows the exact pitch, does not lie.

She is a great singer, but I understand why on that kind of event, a worldwide one, and more after her illness, nobody wanted anything different than perfection. And that could only be assured by a previous recording.

I am not trying to tear she down, I appreciate the effort done to get to this point after these dark years for her. But the evidence it was not live is there. It was a great performance, even if not live, and in that moment it didn't matter at all and everyone, myself included, enjoyed it.

It could of been both.   What was broadcast to media to insure nothing goes wrong could of been the pre-record, but for the live they might of let sing and she probably had her vocal in her in-ears so things were sync'd.     A one time performance on an global "live" event I bet they wanted insurance nothing went wrong  with the rain and her healt so media got prerecord.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Docbop said:

It could of been both.   What was broadcast to media to insure nothing goes wrong could of been the pre-record, but for the live they might of let sing and she probably had her vocal in her in-ears so things were sync'd.     A one time performance on an global "live" event I bet they wanted insurance nothing went wrong  with the rain and her healt so media got prerecord.  

That would explain lots of things!

So a recording done there by the public could be compared with the broadcast audio and that would provide the final answer!

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

Live auto tune with a midi backing track assuring the pitch correction never goes ballistic?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

2 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Live auto tune with a midi backing track assuring the pitch correction never goes ballistic?

Could be, although if you're going that far, it's probably easier to just playback.

10 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Celine not in her best condition...

3 hours ago, Docbop said:

her healt

This was my overriding thought when I heard she was performing.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Why can’t you cats just let your hearts soar and enjoy the moment?  Why this fascination on such a petty subject as “she must be cheating”?

Like I mention this week on my podcast, it’s like watching a French Marionette show.  You either enjoy the magic of the show, or you watch the strings. 

Personally I loved the moment, and rejoice that she could pull out such a strong performance.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HammondDave said:

Why can’t you cats just let your hearts soar and enjoy the moment?  Why this fascination on such a petty subject as “she must be cheating”?

Like I mention this week on my podcast, it’s like watching a French Marionette show.  You either enjoy the magic of the show, or you watch the strings. 

Personally I loved the moment, and rejoice that she could pull out such a strong performance.  

Okay Oprah, but now what are we going to talk about on today's show????    <grin>         

That sounds nice but on a discussion forum have to have lots of points of view to be interesting, preaching to the choir get old fast. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a super high RF environment that is being globally broadcast.   A lot of money rides on this show.  Celine Dion put on a good show.

• Like 4

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I was just watching the Verge's podcast and they started talking about the Olympics and how popular it's become compared to past Olympic.   The power of social media has made young people watch the Olympic and especially sports that in past had very small audience.  What is different they are turning off the audio of the traditional sportscasters and going to Tik Tok and other media and making their own commentary that is so funny it's drawing in more and more people.  Then NBC deciding to bring in Snoop Dogg and Flava Flav is unexpected stroke of genius.    This whole Olympic has become a huge show for people of all ages, people not normally sport fans, and getting them into watch sports because they are interacting with each other online.    Sure diehard sport fans are going to shout get off my lawn, but at same time this is getting more people watching and watching obscure sports and some might become actual fans of that sport.      It makes watching sports interactive gets people involved, just like sports bars bring in people just for the fun of drinking and yelling.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

I was just watching the Verge's podcast and they started talking about the Olympics and how popular it's become compared to past Olympic.   The power of social media has made young people watch the Olympic and especially sports that in past had very small audience.  What is different they are turning off the audio of the traditional sportscasters and going to Tik Tok and other media and making their own commentary that is so funny it's drawing in more and more people.  Then NBC deciding to bring in Snoop Dogg and Flava Flav is unexpected stroke of genius.    This whole Olympic has become a huge show for people of all ages, people not normally sport fans, and getting them into watch sports because they are interacting with each other online.    Sure diehard sport fans are going to shout get off my lawn, but at same time this is getting more people watching and watching obscure sports and some might become actual fans of that sport.      It makes watching sports interactive gets people involved, just like sports bars bring in people just for the fun of drinking and yelling.  

Agreed!  I think this was the best opening ceremonies yet!

Regardless of whether it was live or not, it is curious that video claiming pitch correction does not take into account the potential effect of the voice isolation algorithm on the pitch in the result. He could have tested for that using a real voice track only, mix it with the music, then isolate the voice from the mix and compare that result to the original voice track and repeat if lots of times for reproducibility. Along the video we can see a few notes that are not "on the line" (the video seems to ignore those... I know, the claim would then be that they chose not to correct some :facepalm:). This kind of approach seems technically unfalsifiable. He can claim "suspicion of pitch correction" after showing that the voice isolation algorithm has no effects on the result, but I hardly would call it it a proof.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

Regardless of whether it was live or not, it is curious that video claiming pitch correction does not take into account the potential effect of the voice isolation algorithm on the pitch in the result. He could have tested for that using a real voice track only, mix it with the music, then isolate the voice from the mix and compare that result to the original voice track and repeat if lots of times for reproducibility. Along the video we can see a few notes that are not "on the line" (the video seems to ignore those... I know, the claim would then be that they chose not to correct some :facepalm:). This kind of approach seems technically unfalsifiable. He can claim "suspicion of pitch correction" after showing that the voice isolation algorithm has no effects on the result, but I hardly would call it it a proof.

The guy is an internet troll.  Just perfect click-bait for conspiracy theorists.