Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Instrument Has no Magic Fairy Dust

I seem to remember a quote from Leo Fender where he expressed surprise at the high prices his older guitars were getting. His point was that he was always working to improve them, so he considered the older ones to be of lesser quality. Maybe he didn't see the fairies in his factory pouring all that dust into those early models!

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Oh yeah my buddy was thinking of getting a plugin that would supposedly reproduce the sound of some legendary studio.  I forgot the name of the plugin and the studio as I didn't really care about either, but I believe it's developed and sold by Universal Audio.

he ended up not getting the plugin... at least for the forseeable future.

I am certain that should the owner of Herbie's suitcase decide to loan the instrument to Orange Tree or IK or what have you, that library will sell better than an instrument with no story.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I seem to remember a quote from Leo Fender where he expressed surprise at the high prices his older guitars were getting. His point was that he was always working to improve them, so he considered the older ones to be of lesser quality. Maybe he didn't see the fairies in his factory pouring all that dust into those early models!

Yup, the early Strats and Teles were meant to be affordable tools instead of "collectors' items". Bean counters turned them into fairy dust.

Can't put the full blame on them though. A bubble needs a fool, and there has never been a shortage of lazy, gullible, conforming sniffers of unicorn fart.

1 hour ago, AROIOS said:

Sounds like one of those "Abbey Road ***" plug-ins.

Little do these enthusiasts know, a big part of that "Abbey Road sound" came from the humid London air with a perfect blend of smog and coal soot. Until they treat their studio with that air, none of their mics/tubes would "resonate" at the right kind of "musical" frequency.

I think it was Sunrise, Sunburn, or Sunkist.  Something like that.  

Doesn't matter anyway.  I think he decided not to buy it because he realized he didn't need it.

Hey, my gear is covered in magic fairy dust. I have to vacuum daily. Of course, its 98% softsynths now and I'm vacuuming my monitor. I guess I had too much fairy dust back when it was all hardware. Besides, I got see see Herbie live during the Headhunters tour. I have all of the magic Herbie dust I need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Hey guys, just real quick I have a PSA for you all about sexual relations. I believe that all you need to procreate is missionary position and that is what sex is for. There is absolutely no reason to try and experience pleasure from any other positions and in fact if you do you are an idiot, cork sniffer or sex snob. Sure Big Sex will try to tell you, you should be doing all of these other frivolous and unessential positions but it's simply a conspiracy to brainwash you into thinking sex is more than a utilitarian act meant for reproduction. You all need to share my same opinions or again, you are an idiot, a cork sniffer or a snob. Don't be fooled by lame stream media, missionary was good enough for our founding fathers and it's good enough for you!

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

19 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

Hey guys, just real quick I have a PSA for you all about sexual relations. I believe that all you need to procreate is missionary position and that is what sex is for. There is absolutely no reason to try and experience pleasure from any other positions and in fact if you do you are an idiot, cork sniffer or sex snob. Sure Big Sex will try to tell you, you should be doing all of these other frivolous and unessential positions but it's simply a conspiracy to brainwash you into thinking sex is more than a utilitarian act meant for reproduction. You all need to share my same opinions or again, you are an idiot, a cork sniffer or a snob. Don't be fooled by lame stream media, missionary was good enough for our founding fathers and it's good enough for you!

No aftertouch??

• Haha 7

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

29 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

Is this a religious post???

😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

I don’t know why people are so concerned about how other people view instruments or what their personal criteria’s are...

If you’re satisfied with any off the shelf piece of gear good for you. If you’re constantly chasing the dragon and looking for that fairy dust and that makes you happy, you do you!

Sure. It ultimately comes down to individuals doing their own thing.

The PSA was intended for those musicians who think or believe using or playing similar gear as a hero musician or hitmaker will yield similar results/success.

Seems @GovernorSilver knows a guy with the affliction.🤣

Maybe we can save that type of person some time, money and disappointment from chasing the magic fairy dust and getting strung out.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

8 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

Alternatively, we can save the type of person who thinks they are helping someone who doesn't need their help to mind their own house and business while allowing others to enjoy what they enjoy.

Yep. To each their own. 

8 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

I concede good sir. Please carry on in telling everyone how they should think and feel about their own life and creative process.  

The intent is certainly not to offend or condemn or help those who clearly don't want or need it.

However, a young musician may be struggling with an instrument buying decision in this regard and the perspective of an OG could be just what they needed to read.

Otherwise, for those to whom this PSA doesn't apply, I would expect them to treat it like a Beato video or thread and skip it. Nothing to see here.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

Do I get a harder boner if I use the same jeans as Rocco?

• Haha 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

11 hours ago, ProfD said:

Yep. To each their own. 

The intent is certainly not to offend or condemn or help those who clearly don't want or need it.

However, a young musician may be struggling with an instrument buying decision in this regard and the perspective of an OG could be just what they needed to read.

Otherwise, for those to whom this PSA doesn't apply, I would expect them to treat it like a Beato video or thread and skip it. Nothing to see here.😎

Apologies for being a bit salty. Had a rough day at work and should've stayed off the forums. I get your overall PSA and think it is good advice.

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

6 minutes ago, CrossRhodes said:

Apologies for being a bit salty. Had a rough day at work and should've stayed off the forums. I get your overall PSA and think it is good advice.

No worries mayne. Between work and the other BS some of us have to deal with in life, it's easy to get our thermostat up.

Music is my opiate from playing keys to listening to discussing it. I also believe music can make the world a much better place.

If I can help a fellow musician navigate the waters toward a more fulfilling experience through education, advice or wisdom, I'm here for it.😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PD

48 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

A University of California, Irvine-led research team has discovered that missionary position is actually less likely to result in pregnancy than any other socially accepted sexual position.   

and the researchers are still grinning when they run into each other.   Okay except the ones writing child support checks.... dam when is that kid going to turn 18. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

A University of California, Irvine-led research team

I can just imagine the postings on hospital bulletin boards..."Subjects needed to have lots of sex for studies. Over 18 and good health required."

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, AROIOS said:

Asking for a friend, how does one find out if his positions are "socially accepted"?

Came here to ask the same thing. What is the appropriate etiquette for verifying this. Must it be established before starting to - let's say - make beautiful music together?

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I think he decided not to buy it because he realized he didn't need it.

Just FYI - the various "studio control room plugins" are designed more for those who mix on headphones. The goal is to give a reality check of what music will sound like with room acoustics and speakers. They're based on a binaural reproduction of the space.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AROIOS said:

Asking for a friend, how does one find out if his positions are "socially accepted"?

Via an exit poll.  On a scale of 1-5, 5 being most acceptable and 1 least.

Two subjects were noted as finding certain positions “very” acceptable and wondered if they might participate a second time.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Via an exit poll.  On a scale of 1-5, 5 being most acceptable and 1 least.  😂

The said friend appreciates your advice but decided to err on the safe side of "entrance polls".

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, AROIOS said:

The said friend appreciates your advice but decided to err on the safe side of "entrance polls".

"Do you want to come back to my place? I'll let you play with my poll..."

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 1

Yeah lots of examples of this.   Corey Henry playing an inexpensive King Korg on Lingus, with the audacity to not play a real rhodes with his left hand! (Though another player is one one iirc).    My band's guitarist has brought out his high end PRS(es) and Squiers to gigs and a bunch in between and as far as I can tell, price has no bearing on how good each guitar sounds.   He's played all these through marshall stacks, combos, flyrig analog direct, and 3 different modelers.  The only "bad" one in eyes was a Fender blues junior or some such, the overdrive didn't do it for me.   Hell, I just want the one that stays in tune the best!

I stay away from applying reason and logic to my rig that I'm bringing to the gigs I have.  If I replaced my two expensive keyboards with the lowest end models, I reckon exactly one person would care or even notice.   Nope, not going to listen to such thoughts. La la la la la, I can't hear them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Yeah lots of examples of this.   Corey Henry playing an inexpensive King Korg on Lingus, with the audacity to not play a real rhodes with his left hand! (Though another player is one one iirc).    My band's guitarist has brought out his high end PRS(es) and Squiers to gigs and a bunch in between and as far as I can tell, price has no bearing on how good each guitar sounds.   He's played all these through marshall stacks, combos, flyrig analog direct, and 3 different modelers.  The only "bad" one in eyes was a Fender blues junior or some such, the overdrive didn't do it for me.   Hell, I just want the one that stays in tune the best!

I stay away from applying reason and logic to my rig that I'm bringing to the gigs I have.  If I replaced my two expensive keyboards with the lowest end models, I reckon exactly one person would care or even notice.   Nope, not going to listen to such thoughts. La la la la la, I can't hear them.

Yup expensive gear vs inexpensive gear for gigging don't make a real difference and means nothing to the audiences that is there for the music only the gear slutz care. 

I learned this getting back into gigging later in life and hanging around working cats.   LA was a rougher place and doing auditions and gigs in lets say unknown places or sketchy bars  I'd see people who I knew owned good gear showing up with Fender Squires and low end gear and sound just as good.   Plus if getting jumped when loadout as has happened to me in the past, having a Squire I'm here just take it and go.    I knew I could go to GC get another spend an hour or so tweaking the setup and I'm ready to gig again.     I used to talk to Marcus Miller a lot on his board and remember when he made the switch from his 70's JBass he was know for using it in studio and gigs to copies of it.   He was endorsing Fender then so he asked them to make him some exact copies of the original and except for one minor thing on the original you couldn't  tell the replicas from the original.   It's doesn't make sense to take old/vintage your favorite gear to gigs anymore if you really value it. 

Jumping back to the original post/thought, I agree that just because a famous person owned/played an instrument that doesn't give it any transferable magic to anyone else. But... some specific instruments do have some special sauce/aspect that makes them unique, and inspiring. An obvious example would be the Leeds Rhodes that has become something of legend:

https://www.fenderrhodes.com/v2/gallery/12/Leeds+Rentals+"E"+Rhodes.html

https://www.emodelrhodes.com/

Major performing/touring pianists would (still do?) go to Steinway Hall to pick out an instrument when performing in NYC. Each one played/sounded different, and one would rise to the top (for that specific artist) as "the one" to use.

The same can be said for certain Hammond B3s... when we (Korg) were preparing to release the 2000-era CX3 I visited with many artists to have them make signature sounds that we included. The day I spent with Al Kooper in NYC, he had a specific B that he said he always used when in the city, because it had a signature tone/growl that he got from few other B's around. We rented that for the day to attempt to do tone matching. As well as we could given the situation. But it certainly provided tonal inspiration for our work.

So the instrument itself might have the fairy dust, when used by a seriously talented player.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I learned this getting back into gigging later in life and hanging around working cats.   LA was a rougher place and doing auditions and gigs in lets say unknown places or sketchy bars...   

Plus if getting jumped when loadout as has happened to me in the past, having a Squire I'm here just take it and go. 

Yep. Depending on where one lives, unless  they are willing to carry the great equalizer (firearm) and unafraid to use it, a cheap new or used KB that works properly will get through most auditions, jam sessions and some gigs too. 

Most working musicians I know aren't carrying the latest expensive KBs to gigs nor can they afford to buy them. 😎

PD

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

...My band's guitarist has brought out his high end PRS(es) and Squiers to gigs and a bunch in between and as far as I can tell, price has no bearing on how good each guitar sounds.   He's played all these through marshall stacks, combos, flyrig analog direct, and 3 different modelers.  The only "bad" one in eyes was a Fender blues junior or some such, the overdrive didn't do it for me.   Hell, I just want the one that stays in tune the best...

Yup, 99% of the "tone" of his guitars are just a few pieces of electro-magnets (active circuits aside) costing less than $30. The rest is just $100 worth of carpentry and tons of fairy dust and make-believe.

Amps (and pedals/racks) are vitally important to their sound, but they are just as susceptible to mental inflation as guitars. $5000 for a tube amp? That's audiophile level snake oil.