Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rod Argent suffers stroke and cancels final tour.

+1 to the above comments on his influence, playing and hope for his future.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 + Keystation 61 * Roland Fantom-08 * Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD + JBL 305 MkIIs

According to what I've read, the gist seems to be that the stroke was mild enough that he's up and fully functioning but takes it as a warning sign to ease up on the touring. He plans to still participate with the zombies in the studio. So new zombies music in the future?

• Like 1

FunMachine.

On 7/14/2024 at 8:35 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

Here is appreciation for the man before he's dead.

Rick Wakeman has said this song has the best rock organ solo of all time.  He would know.

:pop:Holy crap, I’d completely forgotten about this version.  Argent’s solo is simply astounding.  Thanks for letting me experience it again for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

Here is Rod playing the brilliant Hohner Pianet on She's Not There by The Zombies.

Argent was also a prolific session musician, playing keyboards on Who frontman Roger Daltrey's 1977 solo album One Of The Boys, and also played the piano and synthesisers on The Who's 1978 album Who Are You.

I hope Argent enjoys his retirement, but it is sad that he can no longer play. I really think of him as being in the "Top Ten" of keyboard players.

56 minutes ago, Ivan May said:

I hope Argent enjoys his retirement, but it is sad that he can no longer play. I really think of him as being in the "Top Ten" of keyboard players.

As mentioned above, what I’m reading is that he has not lost the ability to play, and intends to keep making music, just not endure the rigors of touring. Here’s hoping that is true. He is one of the masters. 

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rod-argent-recording-plans-stroke/

Jerry

There was quite a bit of Mellotron used on the Odyssey and Oracle album. The album was recorded in 1967 at Abbey Road and the Mellotron belonging to John Lennon was still there following the Sgt. Pepper sessions. The song "Hung Up on a Dream" approaches what was later called Prog and could almost be a Yes song. It appears from the photo that Argent probably used a Hammond L-122 for "Time of the Season" and a couple other songs from the album.

spacer.png

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

I saw the Zombies live either last summer or the summer before, and they were absolutely amazing live! Rod and Colin interjected commentary between songs, and they played their asses off. Colin even sang "Hold Your Head Up", which of course he did not sing on originally (he was not in Argent the band), but he was spot on! His high tenor voice has not aged whatsoever. When they do "Time of the Season", the crowd just erupted. 

I'm scheduled to go on one of those rock cruises in February, and the Zombies were scheduled to play. They will likely cancel since this news came out alas, but I'm happy I got to see them when I did. 

On a side note, I worked with Paul Atkinson, their late guitarist when we were both at Capitol. He told me a great story about how they got their masters back for Odyssey & Oracle. It's awesome they own it, and they do quite well with licensing it. 

Oh, and among Rod Argent's many accomplishments is that he used to own a keyboard store (Argents) in London. Well rounded man for sure.....

• Like 2