Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Basic 76-key controller

My A70 got stolen so I need to replace it.  I wasn’t using any of the features and it was heavy.  So I’d like a lightweight 76-key controller with pitch/mod and sustain that transmits on one selectable channel, unweighted keys.  DIN MIDI.  Suggestions?

• Annoyed 2
  • Sad 1

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Nothing new fits the bill afaik, apart from something like a Korg Krome 73 or ditto. Used, a Roland A37 would probably be a good choice.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Budget is as little as possible!  Yeah I’ve noticed a lack of modern 76-key controllers so it may need to be used.

im using my Korg Triton Pro for gigs until I get a replacement, but it has a broken key and is overkill.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

2 minutes ago, J. Dan said:

Budget is as little as possible!  Yeah I’ve noticed a lack of modern 76-key controllers so it may need to be used.

im using my Korg Triton Pro for gigs until I get a replacement, but it has a broken key and is overkill.

Yeah 73-76 non weighted is dry, I'd try to find a used A37 in good condition then.

• Like 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

You know the 88k models they build now - like the Arturia place the pitch and mod wheel up top so they are shorter. And they’re not heavily weighted.  So you could look at that.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That could work though all my stuff is set up for 76- key and I prefer pitch/mod stick.  Putting the wheels up there could put them out of reach since I use this as a lower tier and put them VERY close together.  ….although the top tier is a 61-key so maybe with an 888 it would put the wheels far enough out to clear the top tier.  Something to consider, I suppose.

Dan

5 minutes ago, J. Dan said:

That could work though all my stuff is set up for 76- key and I prefer pitch/mod stick.  Putting the wheels up there could put them out of reach since I use this as a lower tier and put them VERY close together.  ….although the top tier is a 61-key so maybe with an 888 it would put the wheels far enough out to clear the top tier.  Something to consider, I suppose.

Just watch out for the Keylab 88 that does NOT have Essential in the name, as that is a hammer action Fatar TP100/LR, heavy stuff, no idea what the bed is in the Essential.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

1 hour ago, J. Dan said:

My A70 got stolen so I need to replace it.  I wasn’t using any of the features and it was heavy.  So I’d like a lightweight 76-key controller with pitch/mod and sustain that transmits on one selectable channel, unweighted keys.  DIN MIDI.  Suggestions?

tbh, the Studiologic Numa compact SE would fit the bill, even as an 88 note, the width is not too different to the A70, plus you get a few usable (at a pinch) sounds for rehearsals or solo spots if necessary. Plus weight factor is a huge plus.

• Like 2

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

FWIW, my Nektar Impact GXP 88 is semi-weighted and has the wheels on the left, not above.  It also sports channel AT.   I give it a 4.5/5 rating, as there are a couple of MIDI button things I wish it did differently, but for gigging, it's da bomb.  Oh, and as of this writing it's quite inexpensive as well.

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Roland D-70 - If you can find one in good shape. 

- 76 semi-weighted keys with aftertouch

- Transmits up to 4 MIDI channels/zones.

- Pitch/mod stick

- Built-in sounds and fx

- 4 outputs

- 3 pedal inputs

- 10Kg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, miden said:

tbh, the Studiologic Numa compact SE would fit the bill, even as an 88 note, the width is not too different to the A70, plus you get a few usable (at a pinch) sounds for rehearsals or solo spots if necessary. Plus weight factor is a huge plus.

Fatar TP/9P(iano) a semi weighted fairly light bed with AT, and good thing indeed that you get a bunch of decent sounds too for when needed.

• Like 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Must it be stick @J. Dan? Or are two wheels acceptable? My standard recommendation here is a used Alesis QS7 or 7.1. Internal PSU, nice action, AT, two wheels, DIN MIDI, sustain (also expression if that's ever useful) - and they come up on well-known auction sites fairly regularly.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

If you don’t need aftertouch, MODX7+ should absolutely be on your list. Ultra portable.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Have you considered the Novation Launchkey 88 Mk3? - https://novationmusic.com/products/launchkey-88-mk3

The wheels are above the keybed, but positioned at the left end of the control section, rather at the far extreme of the keyboard.

It is a semi-weighted action, which I found to work fairly well for Piano / Organ or Synth.

USB Powered, MIDI Output, Sustain Input. Plenty of configurable controls, should you ever need them, plus works great with Ableton, if you happen to use that.

6 hours ago, zephonic said:

If you don’t need aftertouch, MODX7+ should absolutely be on your list. Ultra portable.

A bit pricey for "just a controller"? I don't know Dan's budget, but that kind of money could buy a nicer action - for example, in a Korg Vox Continental. 

15 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Yamaha PSR-EW425 76-key Portable Arranger

Shame the cheaper EW310 doesn't have DIN MIDI. What's the action like - us it the same as the MODX7? Casios have a reasonable rep for action - WK7600?

Cheers, Mike.

As mentioned early on: "Budget is as little as possible!"

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Can't think of anything modern that fits the bill.  I agree with getting ahold of a used A-37.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

12 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

Can't think of anything modern that fits the bill.  I agree with getting ahold of a used A-37.

It's completely dry in the 73-76 dept. today indeed, the only one is the SL73 and that is a hammer action (and a rather tough one too), really odd that this segment has completely died out, used to be "The" mother keyboard tier. However, the Numa compact SE was a good idea, that key action should work just fine for round about anything except heavy piano playing, the price is correct, and the weight 7kg is okay too.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Akai MX73, 1986, C to C

I've got one, never use it. Fee free to reach out

• Like 1
Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

5 minutes ago, sagetunes said:

Akai MX73, 1986, C to C

I've got one, never use it. Fee free to reach out

I had one back in day. I still have 2 of the rackmount versions too. All the masterkeyboard zoning in a box.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 7:16 PM, Konnector said:

Roland D-70 - If you can find one in good shape. 

- 76 semi-weighted keys with aftertouch

- Transmits up to 4 MIDI channels/zones.

- Pitch/mod stick

- Built-in sounds and fx

- 4 outputs

- 3 pedal inputs

- 10Kg

Roland had another model with the same form factor and chassis as the D-70 iirc. Can't remember the model though. Any help?

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

15 minutes ago, vonnor said:

Roland had another model with the same form factor and chassis as the D-70 iirc. Can't remember the model though. Any help?

~ vonnor

Roland A-50 and A-70 seems very similar.

I'm using a Juno Stage as a controller, it's not heavy and I like the action...

52 minutes ago, dalpozlead said:

I'm using a Juno Stage as a controller, it's not heavy and I like the action...

On 7/8/2024 at 2:22 PM, J. Dan said:

I don’t know if this out of your budget, but the JUNO DS76 fits this description and costs $999. Retailers are known to give 20% off if you ask them nicely.

• Like 2

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

8 hours ago, vonnor said:

~ vonnor

The only 76 note Roland synth that I can think of which is a similar size/shape to the D-70 with aftertouch, etc. is the JV90. Don't know what features it offers as a controller. (Never used one.)

I used a D-70 for quite awhile as a controller for external modules. Although the D-70 menu system is notorious for getting your head around when programming sounds, setting it up as a multi-zone controller is very easy as it's all on one screen page from what I remember. 

The D-70 is the most disappointing synth in history.  (Korg DS-8 is a close contender for me, but I was REALLY looking forward to the D-70.)  If it would have been nothing more than a 76 key D-50 it would have been great.  But Roland ruined it.

PS: In my opinion.  :D

As for as the controller goes.   Cheap, 76-key, action similar to an A-70, lightweight with a stick .... I got nothing.   But that sucks having an A-70 stolen in the Lou.  I feel for you brother LZ.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

25 minutes ago, CEB said:

The D-70 is the most disappointing synth in history.  (Korg DS-8 is a close contender for me, but I was REALLY looking forward to the D-70.)  If it would have been nothing more than a 76 key D-50 it would have been great.  But Roland ruined it.

PS: In my opinion.  :D

Agreed. I was expecting a D-50 squared and got a D-22.4. I couldn't believe that they folded samples over for the bottom octave. 🤮 Who let the angry mail room boy design a synth over the weekend?? Tsk tsk.

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis