Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone heard of this guy Rick Beato?

27 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Those of you who find Rick insufferable, absolutely do not watch his latest video. Seems he might have been reading some of the comments here - he's on a tear! (I'm enjoying his rant right now!). I'm with him 100%.

Game, Set, and Match!  

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I often wonder how much he uses his son to help fill in the blanks with the more difficult song analysis.

Can you imagine having the world's best human transcriber in the house with you?!?

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

This is tangential to the thread, but after the release of the Mancini 100th Session album last week, I've been in a real Henry Mancini mood, and have been rereading his arrangement/orchestration textbook Sound and Scores, written in the early 60s (before he even wrote Pink Panther!). At the end of the book, he wrote a brief conclusion:

image.png.188af37ab431a33015f929e2279c438c.png

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

This is tangential to the thread, but after the release of the Mancini 100th Session album last week, I've been in a real Henry Mancini mood, and have been rereading his arrangement/orchestration textbook Sound and Scores, written in the early 60s (before he even wrote Pink Panther!). At the end of the book, he wrote a brief conclusion:

The author lost me with the first sentence ...

9 minutes ago, Leroy C said:
24 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Expand  

The author lost me with the first sentence ...

He's saying that his comment is tangential to the thread and that the quote from Mancini has some bearing on the effect of new technology that needs to be considered by musicians of the present day from his perspective of the present day in the 60's.  

• Like 2

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Well, that's seven minutes of my life I'll never get back.  I think he does philosophically decimate the "new" versus "old" music shiboleth, so it wasn't a total waste.

He also got me laughing and crying at the same time with "kids are too lazy to play video games anymore." Never thought I'd hear that. 

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

3 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

He's saying that his comment is tangential to the thread and that the quote from Mancini has some bearing on the effect of new technology that needs to be considered by musicians of the present day from his perspective of the present day in the 60's.  

I screenshotted the first paragraph for just more context, but the second paragraph of Mancini's text is what I see as especially relevant, and can be extrapolated to much more than tech in music.

2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Those of you who find Rick insufferable, absolutely do not watch his latest video. Seems he might have been reading some of the comments here - he's on a tear! (I'm enjoying his rant right now!). I'm with him 100%.

Pretty robust defense of his previous video, that I'd agree with overall. I still struggle with the arrogance at times but he's engaging and polished to watch...

And also agree with combining Beato threads into one single one...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nursers said:

Pretty robust defense of his previous video, that I'd agree with overall. I still struggle with the arrogance at times but he's engaging and polished to watch...

And also agree with combining Beato threads into one single one...

rick got torn a new ass hole by a young musician responding to that video.  Going through and the issues rick mention with credible data to back his fasts up.  Basically just saying rick is just an angry old man scream at clouds.  This is a young musician who basically never listen to rick until rick's recent rants.     I agree with the kid and the data he used shows rick's deta is BS.    My old high school guitar buddy is a big Beato fan and he will have lunch and he starts spouting Beato data about what's popular and I'm like these numbers are so skewed compare to real world I'm surprised my buddy doesn't question any of it.   

Now I'm said it in the past rick skill is he figured out the art of Youtube marketing and how to build collection of YouTube channels.  He knows his main demographic and how to cater to them.  We aren't his demographic, rick even said in one of his video about his recent interview video that have been popular he,  that the number weren't as good with his main followers.   Which makes me wonder is these recent old man shacking fists and clouds a marketing tricks to build up his views.   He's seen his numbers go up so he making more videos to scream at the clouds and get better placement into people YouTube streams.   rick has mastered the YouTube game.   

I've been real sick lately and not posting, but this one I  decided I had to say something.   

• Like 1

Doc, I can't follow what you're saying.

But anyway, Rick's numbers have essentially snowballed recently due to a concerted effort to score Interviews.

He realized about a year ago that he couldn't consistently score Big Name interviews without about a 2-3 million subscriber base.

The reason is that these Big Name musician's managers and handlers will not give the time of day to a small time youtube channel.   He made the effort to increase his subscriber base to reach a critical mass that would allow him to get on the radar of these top musicians.   Once he hit about 3Million, critical mass was reached and his ability to get these Interviews.

I really don't understand why these kids are taking the effort to get all triggered about his opinions.   Maybe they should drive out to Carmel and yell at Clint Eastwood. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

10 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

valid points in there. But: Google search trends for "music" and "pop music" as an indicator for interest in music? 

I really don’t think the internet works that way, anymore. 

You know what else happened in that timeframe of google search trend decline? 

Spotify. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

59 minutes ago, analogika said:

valid points in there. But: Google search trends for "music" and "pop music" as an indicator for interest in music? 

I really don’t think the internet works that way, anymore. 

You know what else happened in that timeframe of google search trend decline? 

Spotify. 

I am huge on everything music, hobby, passion, work (pro audio), though I don't think I've ever used that search word...

Maybe back in 1995/96 when I started using the internet possibly, before understanding how a search engine works.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I’m a curious case of a Beato convert (kind of). I used to hate him because YouTube would offer me his videos all over the place and for one reason or another they were really annoying ones that I hated. 

However, I would open some of the linked ones on this forum and I realized the guy is much better than I thought. So, I wouldn’t mind if I see occasional links and threads about his better videos. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, analogika said:

yeah, that part was a total joke. He didn't even make a gesture at trying to account for other variables. Nope, I can just look at google search trends and tell you the state of humanity. Armchair sociology at it's laziest, presented without the slightest caveat. This sort of BS is all over the internet, and I try to steer clear of all of it.

The video started off strong. Any music can be "new" music is a powerful message and he made a heartfelt and persuasive case for it. By the end of the video he'd totally lost me.

• Love 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

4 minutes ago, Adan said:

yeah, that part was a total joke. He didn't even make a gesture at trying to account for other variables. Nope, I can just look at google search trends and tell you the state of humanity. Armchair sociology at it's laziest, presented without the slightest caveat. This sort of BS is all over the internet, and I try to steer clear of all of it.

The video started off strong. Any music can be "new" music is a powerful message and he made a heartfelt and persuasive case for it. By the end of the video he'd totally lost me.

"If it's on the internet it has to be true, right...."

:D

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

9 minutes ago, Tusker said:

Rick's correct to say that music is not as important to people as it used to be. It's been blindingly obvious for a few decades actually ...

South Park - Prehistoric Ice Man from 1996 Listening to Ace Of Base

• Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

24 minutes ago, Tusker said:

Rick's correct to say that music is not as important to people as it used to be. It's been blindingly obvious for a few decades actually ...

This is Trevor Horn's official Diploma, "Music Producer with the competence of creating and producing music reaching the global billboards", and, it's also the first video ever played on MTV!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

0:00-2:00 ... 100%. 

2:00-4:35 ... "what people are searching for on google" is of limited value, and even more limited in recent years. His thesis might be true, but this is not evidence.

4:35-5:52 ... true, but I'm curious about whether this is MORE true today than 20, 30, 40 years ago. I imagine it is, but that's just my own bias.

5:53-end ... also true. And I think this is one of the things missing from his first video that he talked around but didn't dive into. The role of music in 2024 is fundamentally different than it was in decades past. The reasons this is true are worthy of exploration. And, recognizing that this shift has happened does not need to include ascribing moral value to the shift. To me, my personal 'old man yelling at clouds' perspective is that music's role in society is wildly different than it was when I was young, and what society means when we say "musician" is also wildly different. That's fine, but I rankle when people assert that it's all actually the same, and it's just me who doesn't get it. 

It's like comparing [football player from 1919] to a football player today and pretending that it's even possible to compare the athleticism of each against each other. In so many ways they are doing completely different things under completely different contexts, even though it's all "football". 

• Like 1

Oh thank goodness. I was afraid that this thread I made saying we should stop posting Beato videos every time he made one, wouldn’t end up having any new videos he made in it.

Anyway, he nailed it. Clearly centuries of anthropology, evolutionary biology, and social science have been wrong. Music never existed until the 1960’s and then stopped existing again some time during the disco era. Beato’s right and Google search terms prove it. Whatever music has meant throughout hundreds of thousands of years of human development, tens of thousands of years of civilization, even a thousand years of Western practice and preference—it all came to a halt the day this one guy heard the first song that didn’t suit his taste. Boomer Internet Dweeb #6 is Patient 0. It’s over now and Google knows it.  It’s tragic. 

Or—just spitballing here, so bear with me…maybe he needs to get away from the camera and spend some more time back in the classroom, or out in the world among anyone under 60? Like, instead of asking Google what people think, maybe he could ask—and stay with me here—actual people…?

Anyway, motion to stop posting every self-satisfied thought this one smart algorithm-whisperer might entertain at any given moment. At least until that thought has something even remotely to do with keyboards. All in favor, please stop ruining civilization and propriety long enough to say whatever it is you crazy kids use instead of the Biblically and canonically correct, “groovy.”

• Haha 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

2 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Oh thank goodness. I was afraid that this thread I made saying we should stop posting Beato videos every time he made one, wouldn’t end up having any new videos he made in it.

Anyway, he nailed it. Clearly centuries of anthropology, evolutionary biology, and social science has been wrong. Music never existed until the 1960’s and then stopped existing again some time during the disco era. Beato’s right and Google search terms prove it. Whatever music has meant throughout hundreds of thousands of years of human development, tens of thousands of years of civilization, even a thousand years of Western practice and preference—it all came to a halt the day this one guy heard the first song that didn’t suit his taste. Boomer Internet Dweeb #6 is Patient 0. It’s over now and Google knows it.  It’s tragic. 

Or—just spitballing here, so bear with me…maybe he needs to get away from the camera and spend some more time back in the classroom, or out in the world among anyone under 60? Like, instead of asking Google what people think, maybe he could ask—and stay with me here—actual people…?

Anyway, motion to stop posting every self-satisfied thought this one smart algorithm-whisperer might entertain at any given moment. At least until that thought has something even remotely to do with keyboards. All in favor, please stop ruining civilization and propriety long enough to say whatever it is you crazy kids use instead of the Biblically and canonically correct, “groovy.”

Or as ABBA so clearly and simple expresses it; "Money, money money...."..

• Love 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

17 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Anyway, he nailed it. Clearly centuries of anthropology, evolutionary biology, and social science have been wrong. Music never existed until the 1960’s and then stopped existing again some time during the disco era. Beato’s right and Google search terms prove it. Whatever music has meant throughout hundreds of thousands of years of human development, tens of thousands of years of civilization, even a thousand years of Western practice and preference—it all came to a halt the day this one guy heard the first song that didn’t suit his taste. Boomer Internet Dweeb #6 is Patient 0. It’s over now and Google knows it.  It’s tragic. 

He makes a point to reference young performers in their twenties he's interviewed (and shows clips of them from his videos), as well as classical pieces. 

I can't imagine that any annoyance people he causes people compares to that caused by the constant wilful misrepresentation and deliberate misinterpretations of his actual content. 😛 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

It's OK to like him, and even to agree with him. 

Just let him have the rest of the 99.3% of the internet that he already has, and give us this .7% to talk about keyboards. A little corner. A keyboard corner, if you will. Hey, that's just crazy enough to stick!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

3 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

It's OK to like him, and even to agree with him. 

Just let him have the rest of the 99.3% of the internet that he already has, and give us this .7% to talk about keyboards. A little corner. A keyboard corner, if you will. Hey, that's just crazy enough to stick!

We want Moog, We want Moog, We want Moog!

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

21 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

I agree with your spitball actually. Beato’s a good guy with huge skills in one area. He extrapolates into other areas carrying a bit of Dunning-Kruger overconfidence. It’s so tempting to generalize at a societal level isn’t it? It’s amusing especially when he acts like he is speaking for something or someone. 

I agree with his conclusion that music means less to people now but not due to the examples he cited.

Some his stuff is click-friendly infotainment and I enjoy it, despite the bad logic. Then there are those great interviews he has with giants like Metheny and I drink in every word.

13 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Doc, I can't follow what you're saying.

But anyway, Rick's numbers have essentially snowballed recently due to a concerted effort to score Interviews.

He realized about a year ago that he couldn't consistently score Big Name interviews without about a 2-3 million subscriber base.

The reason is that these Big Name musician's managers and handlers will not give the time of day to a small time youtube channel.   He made the effort to increase his subscriber base to reach a critical mass that would allow him to get on the radar of these top musicians.   Once he hit about 3Million, critical mass was reached and his ability to get these Interviews.

I really don't understand why these kids are taking the effort to get all triggered about his opinions.   Maybe they should drive out to Carmel and yell at Clint Eastwood. 

Just a quick reply even rick has said his main demographic of followers on his page aren't watching those videos they aren't interest.    Those video got him a lot of boomers, but boomers aren't where he makes his money.   But his recent videos ranting that these dang kids don't make music like we did back in the day and using BS data to support his statements is what's causing a big stink. 

Sorry to all for all the typos in the last posts I'm still not feeling well. 

• Love 1