Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sarah McLachlan Fumbling Towards Ecstasy 30 Anniversary Tour.

Went to this show last week and it was really fantastic. A real demonstration of how a band doesn't need to take up every single bit of the sonic landscape to sound great. Left a lot of room for the vocals and harmonies to really shine.

Opening act was Fiest who sonically is very similar to Sarah M's music in that there's a lot of dynamics and a lot of space between the instruments. And while I'm unfamiliar with all of her work except one song, I thoroughly enjoyed her set.

One interesting thing I found was Sarah was playing a real Yamaha grand on stage and I don't know how they mic'ed it or what, but it sounded amazing. Her keyboard player (who's name I couldn't chase down on the internet) was playing a Montage 8 (among other boards) and I didn't think it's pianos sounded anywhere near as good.  He also had a Groove 3rd Wave and a Nord Electro that he used for much of the organs sounds.

Some of the best parts of the show were when it was only Sarah playing piano and singing and various members of her band performing spot on backing vocals. At least 4 songs at various parts of the show were basically this format. Really lets the quality show, no room to hide.

I know there were no backing tracks or pitch correction because for the first song or two, the vocals were actually a bit off. But I think that they either had to get the monitors correct or just warm up voices because after that everything was dead on.

It's worth the trip out to the theater if you get a chance.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

Some of the best parts of the show were when it was only Sarah playing piano and singing.

I adore Sarah.  Man, I listened to Fumbling non-stop back in the 90s.  That last track, the solo version of "Possession," gets me every time.  My own pathetic attempt to emulate her, for anyone interested: 

https://youtu.be/47B2bvG6Y5U   

Please excuse the crappy cell phone audio quality ...

• Like 3

Sarah McLachlan has always had a killer band; watch any live videos on YouTube and the musicianship is outrageously good, and tasteful to boot.

I tried to get tickets for her NY show, but unfortunately they were just unaffordable (thanks dynamic pricing).

• Like 1

A friend of mine is going to see Sarah McLachlan perform at the Cadence Bank Amphitheater later this month.

I expect about a thousand people to be attending that gig, most of them being velour wearing housewives. ;) 

What time is she actually going on stage since she has an opening act.  I'm seeing her at Radio City Music Hall next week and will be in a time crunch to get there...curious about what time she takes the stage? The show "starts" at 7:30...

When I saw her I thought the opener got a very generous set. I can't remember the time but we got home much later than planned.

Fiest was the opener and was really good. I was 90% unfamiliar with her catalogue but she held my attention throughout.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

On 6/8/2024 at 11:54 AM, Iconoclast said:

Her keyboard player (who's name I couldn't chase down on the internet) was playing a Montage 8 (among other boards) and I didn't think it's pianos sounded anywhere near as good.  He also had a Groove 3rd Wave and a Nord Electro that he used for much of the organs sounds.

her keyboard player's name is Vincent Jones.

I knew Lyle Workman was recognizable on guitar, but couldn't catch the names of the female bass player/ vocalist (also with an amazing voice) plus the drummer' name.  I thought she said "Matt Starr?"

On 6/28/2024 at 7:00 AM, George K said:

I knew Lyle Workman was recognizable on guitar, but couldn't catch the names of the female bass player/ vocalist (also with an amazing voice) plus the drummer' name.  I thought she said "Matt Starr?"

yes, Matt Starr is the drummer. the bass player is Melissa McClelland.

Butterfly Boucher on bass, perhaps? Incredible musician.  Her 2004 album, “Flutterby,” is so good.  I assume that is her.

Vince was with Sarah as far back as ‘99. Probably a satisfying gig!