Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple Music reveals Top 10 albums of all time... WTF?!

Some songs I like, some songs I tolerate, some songs I do not like at all. 

Which is which may change over time. I have better things to do than worry about who is supposedly the "best, or most important, or most influential".

Doesn't mean shit to a tree. 

Sometimes I saw somebody live and either I liked their records but did not like their show or vice versa and it could just be they were tired or ill that evening. 

Or in the case of Ronnie James Dio, I just didn't care for the music but he was fantastic live and the band rocked.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Dear Apple Music,

You are wrong.  That is all.

• Haha 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

11 hours ago, CyberGene said:

...Apple Music‌ experts and a group of artists, songwriters, producers, and industry professionals...

😆 That doesn't mean sh*t, brother. Haven't you heard enough garbage these "experts" and "professionals" pushed out over the last few decades? Why give two sh*ts about their opinion, especially when we don't even know they are?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RABid said:

What's interesting is the genres that they left off of the list. 

Yup, it says a lot about those "expert"s' and "professional"s' pathetic taste. 😆

12 hours ago, Tusker said:

The songs in Sgt.Peppers don't excite me as much as the songs in Abbey Road but the concept, the artistic aspiration ... it was a milestone in music. I could also seeThe Wall on my list as a maturation of Sgt. Pepper's direction. 

100% I was talking about this at rehearsal last night. I would probably put Sgt Pepper's ahead of Abbey Road, but happy to debate either way - the Beatles have earned their place on this list. 

12 hours ago, Tusker said:

If I was younger and more into hip-hop though. I might argue that Miseducation brought hop-hop to pop. That for the first time it integrated faith with hip-hop, that it gave the mic to the women giants who followed. That it was a milestone in music.

But it followed the Fugees - doesn't "Killing Me Softly" qualify as a hip-hop/pop crossover?

12 hours ago, BluMunk said:

1. "Top" lists are dumb.

True. Although this list makes my top 10 of the dumbest lists ever.

Cheers, Mike.

5 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Everyone knows that Spinal Tap is the greatest album of all time.

Well, their first album with the "classic lineup" (mark LXXVI) was amazing. I thought "Smell The Glove" was overrated, and don't get me started on their "new direction" period. Just like Lennon/McCartney, every St Hubbins needs a Tufnel.

Cheers, Mike.

• Love 1

There’s a silver lining here for me though. As silly as it may sound, I’ve only heard The Beach Boys as a name, and probably knew a song or two vaguely. Don’t judge me 😀 I was born in 1979 after all. Someone mentioned Pet Sounds earlier in the thread and I listened to it in entirety twice since yesterday and I’m in love! 😻 Thanks for that. 

What an irony. Seems I’ve been too young to catch The Beach Boys, and too old to appreciate Lauryn Hill 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Cool 1

Brain dead Apple AI

No:-

Pets Sounds, Hotel California, Sticky Fingers, Dark Side of the Moon, Gracelands, A Night at the Opera, Yessongs, In Memory of Trees.

yep, Apple is rotten to the core!

• Like 1

Col

Top ten lists are great because:

1) They stimulate conversation

2) They are wrong

3) But they are also right

4) They don't matter

5) Except that they do matter, because people read them

6) ... Umm

🤦‍♂️ Couldn't get to ten. 😅

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Don’t judge me 😀 I was born in 1979 after all. 

What an irony. Seems I’ve been too young to catch The Beach Boys, and too old to appreciate Lauryn Hill 🤦🏻‍♂️

No judgement. 

Music is generational for the most part. 

Some musicians and listeners discover music outside their generation.

Rock music seems to get handed down from one generator to the next.  Only reason to explain the Rolling Stones still selling out tours.

Otherwise, there is a reason most of us aren't listening to music recorded prior to the 1950s.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

30 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

@Tusker kind of extension to 1 but in those conversations people might share their own lists, and other people can then discover some new music. Exactly how I discovered Pet Sounds yesterday 🙂

Thanks for mentioning that. I read that the Beatles and The Beach Boys were in awe of other's creativity: Rubber Soul inspiring Pet Sounds which inspired Sgt. Pepper.

It can be hard to tell where one story begins and another ends. I hear Paul McCartney's attitude in Chance's Sunday Candy.

2 minutes ago, Tusker said:

Thanks for mentioning that. I read that the Beatles and The Beach Boys were in awe of other's creativity: Rubber Soul inspiring Pet Sounds which inspired Sgt. Pepper.

It’s all funny since I’m admittedly not a huge fan of the Beatles. Somehow in my mind The Beach Boys are the American Beatles which might explain why I haven’t heard them a lot. But I’m currently on my third replaying of Pet Sounds and while I can see the similarities, I so much prefer The Beach Boys! Much more interesting harmonies, more complicated, and surprisingly a sound that is very modern despite being recorded 60 years ago. I’ll definitely have to dig more into their albums. 

7 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

It’s all funny since I’m admittedly not a huge fan of the Beatles. Somehow in my mind The Beach Boys are the American Beatles which might explain why I haven’t heard them a lot. But I’m currently on my third replaying of Pet Sounds and while I can see the similarities, I so much prefer The Beach Boys! Much more interesting harmonies, more complicated, and surprisingly a sound that is very modern despite being recorded 60 years ago. I’ll definitely have to dig more into their albums. 

As a kid growing up in California I was a Beach Boys fan more than the Beatles.   The local radio stations back then would have Beatles vs Beach Boys contests about once a month asking listener to call in and vote for their favorite band.   The Beach Boys always won until Sgt Peppers by the Beatles came out and that was the first time the Beach Boys lost and they lost the next battle so the radio station stopped doing it.   That was when I started listening more to the Beatle especially Rubber Soul and Revolver.    I like both bands these days and especially Beach Boys Holland album.   My taste in music in general was changing about that time and got more into Motown, Stax, Atlantic records because I was starting to play in bands and that was when I started getting more into Jazz.    Fun looking back at my path of musical interests and trying to see what influenced my decisions.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CyberGene said:

1. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998), Lauryn Hill

2. Thriller (1982), Michael Jackson

3. Abbey Road (1969), The Beatles

4. Purple Rain (1984), Prince & The Revolution

5. Blonde (2016), Frank Ocean

6. Songs in the Key of Life (1976), Stevie Wonder

7. good kid, m.A.A.d city (2012), Kendrick Lamar

8. Back to Black (2006), Amy Winehouse

9. Nevermind (1991), Nirvana

10. Lemonade (2016), Beyoncé

I must be missing something enormous here but I've never heard about Lauryn Hill before, and apparently it's not a new album since it's from 1998 and I was born in 1979. I just started listening to it and I couldn't, it sounds like complete crap to my ears!

Can someone explain to me what dafuq is going on here?! Is that something US people know well and love? Do you consider that album the GOAT? 🤔

FWIW, I haven't heard of Kendrick Lamar or Frank Ocean either. And not sure if I'm somehow biased, out of my mind or just missing a huge part of our world but for the life of me I can't understand how Pink Floyd might not be in Top 10, whereas Amy Winehouse is 🤦🏻‍♂️

I can see how you might not have heard of Frank Ocean as he’s more of an indie sensation but no idea how you‘ve never heard of Lauryn Hill or Kendrick Lamar. 🤷🏼

I agree with others that these kinds of lists are nonsense though so I wouldn’t get too riled up about it. Way too many equally influential albums and artists to fit them all into a top 10 list.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

1 hour ago, CrossRhodes said:

but no idea how you‘ve never heard of Lauryn Hill or Kendrick Lamar.

After I read about her yesterday, I got that she sings that awful cover of Killing Me Softly which I hated because of that sitar riff (or whatever it is that sounds like some ethnic instrument before they start rapping). I’ve never been into hip-hop. I’ve only briefly listened to Cypress Hill when I was 14 and I remember that I liked one song by Dr. Dre called Keep Their Heads Ringing. Besides, I’m not an American, so less exposure to American music, especially rap. Also, I was mad about Bach and classical music at the time (and I still am!) and then was unhealthily obsessed with jazz for years. However, I still find it close to ridiculous for a rap album to be the best album of all time. And I’m pretty sure I should at least know the name. I might have been a weirdo for my music taste as a teen but, come on, if it was a famous name, I should have at least heard it. Maybe, again, she was not popular in Bulgaria which is an Eastern European country, for the record (or should I say album) 😀

42 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I’ve never been into hip-hop.

Besides, I’m not an American, so less exposure to American music, especially rap.

However, I still find it close to ridiculous for a rap album to be the best album of all time. And I’m pretty sure I should at least know the name.

I might have been a weirdo for my music taste as a teen but, come on, if it was a famous name, I should have at least heard it. 

Maybe, again, she was not popular in Bulgaria which is an Eastern European country

Reading your own words might provide some insight.😁

Top 10 lists are still ridiculous and stupid.🤣😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

After I read about her yesterday, I got that she sings that awful cover of Killing Me Softly which I hated because of that sitar riff (or whatever it is that sounds like some ethnic instrument before they start rapping). I’ve never been into hip-hop. I’ve only briefly listened to Cypress Hill when I was 14 and I remember that I liked one song by Dr. Dre called Keep Their Heads Ringing. Besides, I’m not an American, so less exposure to American music, especially rap. Also, I was mad about Bach and classical music at the time (and I still am!) and then was unhealthily obsessed with jazz for years. However, I still find it close to ridiculous for a rap album to be the best album of all time. And I’m pretty sure I should at least know the name. I might have been a weirdo for my music taste as a teen but, come on, if it was a famous name, I should have at least heard it. Maybe, again, she was not popular in Bulgaria which is an Eastern European country, for the record (or should I say album) 😀

Hip Hop music is arguably one of the most influential styles of music over the past 50 years. You may not like it or listen to it but that in no way negates the massive influence it has had on music and culture worldwide. Leaving hip hop out of the top 10 would be a pretty serious omission imo.

• Like 3

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

It can also be a regional/ethnic thing. I think hip-hop is predominantly black (African-American) music and we have almost no black people here, which is probably why hip-hop is a rather exotic concept to me. It would have been as surprising and unknown to me if they put an Indian, Japanese, Hawaiian, etc. album at the top. Apple often celebrate Black culture through their wallpapers, watch faces, etc, so this can also be an explanation of why a hip-hop album is rated at the top place. 

10 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

It can also be a regional/ethnic thing. I think hip-hop is predominantly black (African-American) music and we have almost no black people here, which is probably why hip-hop is a rather exotic concept to me. I’d be really hard pressed to call it music but that’s just me 😀 It would have been as surprising and unknown to me if they put an Indian, Japanese, Hawaiian, etc. album at the top. Apple often celebrate Black culture through their wallpapers, watch faces, etc, so this can also be an explanation of why a hip-hop album is rated at the top place. 

Hip Hop is over 50 years old and is far from just be US music it is global in it's popularity with in Latin and Asian and European countries.   Hip Hop's audience very mixed and I remember at one point 80% of Hip Hop and Rap sales were non-Black buyers.    Hip Hop is 50 years old and has global popularity people would have go out of their way  to not be aware of it. 

• Like 2