Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX-7 keybed....anyone here played one?

And if so , impressions please of the keybed feel? I know it's cheap, but there are so may conflicting stories going around, not sure whether it's Yamaha fans don't want to rag on it, or others who don't like Yamaha bagging it for that reason alone!!

About the only comparison I could give that I know (so I can get an idea of a comparison to the MODX7) is my old Roland A-70 and I played a Motif XS 7 for a while, and the Studiologic Numa Compact 2x, which wasn't too bad really. So if it like any of those it should be fine. 

If it's like one of their PSR series 'boards, then forget it hahaha!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I prefer it to the Numa Compact 2X because it doesn't push back as much, and its response remains more even from the front of the key to the back. (In terms of differences, IIRC, I believe its travel is a bit shorter, too, though whether that's a good or bad thing is a different question.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I own one. 

It's got a very short throw as Scott says and it's an extremely "light" action--meaning you barely touch a key and it goes down.  I changed the velocity curve right away but it still took me a while to be able to play piano on it--and even then not all that well.   On the other hand it actually works pretty well for organ, for a non-waterfall board.

I haven't tried the PSR keyboards.   It feels better than the ultra cheap midi controllers I've tried.   I like it better than the Fantom 07 I tried, though at first I was the other way around until I spent more time with the Fantom-0.  AnotherScott had it right IMO with that keybed--too springy even though it feels a bit more premium at "first touch".  All this stuff is so subjective!

I've done many gigs with mine.  Right now its a backup to my Nord stage 3 compact.   I supplemented mine with a b3 organ app, that to me is the biggest sonic shortcoming.   I don't think the action ever held me back at all, though as I say it takes a new approach to play piano on it.  I tended to play too fast and a bit sloppy on that action.

I also have one. It’s fine but it’s an adjustment if I don’t play it every week. Soon beds in. I can play piano on it but it never feels enjoyable. For synth stuff it’s fine. Can’t say about the comparison to the boards you mentioned but it’s certainly better than the previous generation MO series. The 61 note versions of those had horrendous keybed. Like a cheap toy. I’d rate the FA07 as having a better keybed tho if that’s any help? Like everything at that level the MODX is a compromise of sorts….great board with montage level sounds, light but something has to be a compromise. In the MODX7 it’s the keybed a little. But then again I prefer weighted keybed so take my comments with a large pinch of salt. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I have a MODX-7 which I use for a rehearsal board. I don’t care for the action when playing AP or EP. I find the action too light and don’t care for the slightly narrower keys. I feel I have to play more “carefully” or delicately; a distracting and inhibiting experience. Perhaps somewhat ironically, the action is okay for everything else, narrow keys notwithstanding. Love the sounds and the weight…the latter being the common trade off for deficits in action. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I hope my MODX6+ qualifies... I bought it to save weight on weekly rehearsals, as taking my MONTAGE 6 each week to the rehearsal was just impractical. First, I hated the keybed and there was no way I would use it on gigs... But, you know, human beings are adaptable 😬. So, after a couple months of rehearsals with it, I got so used to it that, on next gig, I took it. And, since then, my two MONTAGEs are enjoying kind of a sweet retirement at my home studio, while the heavy load is taken by the MODX6+

So, well, I still prefer by large the MONTAGE 6 keybed, but for sure can play decently on the MODX6+ and the weight and size difference makes it very easy to schlep. It seems I am getting old! 🤣

• Haha 1

I use one for all my gigs during the academic year, sometimes with an SK Pro for organs. It’s a light keybed with a short throw. However, it’s significantly better than the keys on either the Korg Krome or Yamaha MX49/61, which I’ve both owned. Most of these gigs are AP/EP heavy, and while it’s not ideal for piano, it’s very serviceable. You just have to back off the dynamics a bit from how strong you’d play a piece on a hammer-action board.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

5 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I prefer it to the Numa Compact 2X because it doesn't push back as much, and its response remains more even from the front of the key to the back. (In terms of differences, IIRC, I believe its travel is a bit shorter, too, though whether that's a good or bad thing is a different question.)

Ok, cool. Interesting observation. Shorter travel would make playing Ap/Ep a bit unenjoyable though.

5 hours ago, Stokely said:

I own one. 

It's got a very short throw as Scott says and it's an extremely "light" action--meaning you barely touch a key and it goes down.  I changed the velocity curve right away but it still took me a while to be able to play piano on it--and even then not all that well.   On the other hand it actually works pretty well for organ, for a non-waterfall board.

I haven't tried the PSR keyboards.   It feels better than the ultra cheap midi controllers I've tried.   I like it better than the Fantom 07 I tried, though at first I was the other way around until I spent more time with the Fantom-0.  AnotherScott had it right IMO with that keybed--too springy even though it feels a bit more premium at "first touch".  All this stuff is so subjective!

I've done many gigs with mine.  Right now its a backup to my Nord stage 3 compact.   I supplemented mine with a b3 organ app, that to me is the biggest sonic shortcoming.   I don't think the action ever held me back at all, though as I say it takes a new approach to play piano on it.  I tended to play too fast and a bit sloppy on that action.

yes I think I may have that tendency - although the 2x sorta got me weaned off weighted beds a bit

3 hours ago, Dockeys said:

I also have one. It’s fine but it’s an adjustment if I don’t play it every week. Soon beds in. I can play piano on it but it never feels enjoyable. For synth stuff it’s fine. Can’t say about the comparison to the boards you mentioned but it’s certainly better than the previous generation MO series. The 61 note versions of those had horrendous keybed. Like a cheap toy. I’d rate the FA07 as having a better keybed tho if that’s any help? Like everything at that level the MODX is a compromise of sorts….great board with montage level sounds, light but something has to be a compromise. In the MODX7 it’s the keybed a little. But then again I prefer weighted keybed so take my comments with a large pinch of salt. 

FA-07 was in the mix, but after research, I think the MODX ticks more boxes 

3 hours ago, Dockeys said:
3 hours ago, Moonglow said:

I have a MODX-7 which I use for a rehearsal board. I don’t care for the action when playing AP or EP. I find the action too light and don’t care for the slightly narrower keys. I feel I have to play more “carefully” or delicately; a distracting and inhibiting experience. Perhaps somewhat ironically, the action is okay for everything else, narrow keys notwithstanding. Love the sounds and the weight…the latter being the common trade off for deficits in action. 

Hmmm, yes that was what I was thinking and backs up some other research I've done.

3 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

I hope my MODX6+ qualifies... I bought it to save weight on weekly rehearsals, as taking my MONTAGE 6 each week to the rehearsal was just impractical. First, I hated the keybed and there was no way I would use it on gigs... But, you know, human beings are adaptable 😬. So, after a couple months of rehearsals with it, I got so used to it that, on next gig, I took it. And, since then, my two MONTAGEs are enjoying kind of a sweet retirement at my home studio, while the heavy load is taken by the MODX6+

So, well, I still prefer by large the MONTAGE 6 keybed, but for sure can play decently on the MODX6+ and the weight and size difference makes it very easy to schlep. It seems I am getting old! 🤣

Thanks, yeah aren't we all hahaha!

2 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

I use one for all my gigs during the academic year, sometimes with an SK Pro for organs. It’s a light keybed with a short throw. However, it’s significantly better than the keys on either the Korg Krome or Yamaha MX49/61, which I’ve both owned. Most of these gigs are AP/EP heavy, and while it’s not ideal for piano, it’s very serviceable. You just have to back off the dynamics a bit from how strong you’d play a piece on a hammer-action board.

Cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I end up getting it.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Oh and just to add a "fly into the ointment" how about the Korg Nautilus 73? About a grand more, though so I guess it would HAVE to be better?

2 hours ago, ImproKeys said:

I sold the MODX7 because of the keybed.

Thanks for that. I must admit when I owned the 88 note version I sold it for pretty much the same reason, keybed. Was years ago now, but I still recall it. Thought the 76 with the semi-weighted (?) may have been better. Like, I knew the action on the 88 was the lowest 88 they made, but somehow was hoping the 76 perhaps had the middle level non-weighted action. Be great if it had the FSX 'board, but alas it does not.

I've gigged mine since 2019.  It's okay for anything but acoustic or electric pianos.  I find the velocity response very uneven with every curve in there.  It's seriously making me want to sell it and go back to a Motif.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

31 minutes ago, Justin Havu said:

I've gigged mine since 2019.  It's okay for anything but acoustic or electric pianos.  I find the velocity response very uneven with every curve in there.  It's seriously making me want to sell it and go back to a Motif.

You can't get the pianos playable with the global velocity curves. You have to go into the individual patch and adjust the velocity depth and velocity offset parameters. It will never be a great piano board, but that can make it a lot more playable.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Might have lucked on to a used (owner reckons in perfect condition??) Montage 7 for about the same price as the new MODX7....might be worth it, although I am usually averse to buying second hand anything!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miden said:

Might have lucked on to a used (owner reckons in perfect condition??) Montage 7 for about the same price as the new MODX7....might be worth it, although I am usually averse to buying second hand anything!

Well the montage 7s keybed is a whole different story!

btw my three main boards (nords and prophet) are all 2nd hand or b-stocks. 

4 hours ago, miden said:

Both of my MONTAGE 6 were bought used. I paid for the two the same than for only one new. The last one, white, had just about 10 months of use and was pristine. If you don't mind the weight, I would go for it

5 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

You can't get the pianos playable with the global velocity curves. You have to go into the individual patch and adjust the velocity depth and velocity offset parameters. It will never be a great piano board, but that can make it a lot more playable.

Exactly. The parameter I always modify is the velocity offset. Standard value is 64. I tend to set it from 75 to 82. Pianos get alive just by this small change

I’d get the Montage.

My Numa C2X has overly sensitive F# & G# keys above middle C that drive me bonkers.  Only really use it to control iOS Organs, now. I still find this very strange keybed rather spongy and when playing near the top levels of velocity it seem to induce a little pain in my fingers, maybe because a weird bounce at the bottom of key travel. I really like having aftertouch for synths, but it has very limited mod destinations internally…vibrato is about it. AT must be turned off on piano and EP’s, but is kind of fun with clav and comping synths.

MODX7’s keybed is cheap, plasticky, toy-like, and has little skinny black keys however, it can still be played with great delicacy and decent dynamics for such a light synth action. But ya gotta be accurate. It does bottom out a bit quick but not a terrible landing for cheap, plasticky, toy-like synth keys. It does not inflict pain like the Numa C2X does to me when playing aggressively. The thing that bothers me the most on the MODX is the location of the Volume and USB Volume knobs near the very top of the left-hand side. Is not that it’s a bit of a reach, but that they are prone to damage when transporting in gig bags. My USB volume knob has a terrible wiggle from being knocked about, but still works without the jumpy glitches and scratchiness that my first gen Fantom7 knobs suffer.

My other main gigging board is the Roland VR09. Now THAT is a terrible keybed for piano….Ugh! Much prefer the dynamics available with the Yamaha’s cheap, plasticky…yeah, yeah. Although the quick trigger keys of the VR09 make the organ quite enjoyable for me and a very capable gig machine. Lighting fast keys for synth leads, too. Slightly quicker than the Yammie. That dang Roland has been surprisingly durable for over a decade of gigging dirty biker bars, dusty festivals, 100+ degree pool parties, and early spring and late fall outings that we got snowed on a couple of times. I wore out two pitch benders from when I was playing a lot of saxophone and synths, but this last one I got from Syntaur has been solid for many years. 

I would love to find a used Montage 7 for what I paid for my MODX7…I’d get the Montage.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will probs get the Montage and suck it and see...just got to organise shipping, ugh!!!

Not sure what you are paying but guitar center has a number of used Montages, and you get the 45 day return window.

That said, used is indeed more of a risk, I've had a couple keyboards (both Kurzweils) have issues pop up after that window.

They have a couple white ones too, which IMO are super sharp looking :) 

Montage 7 is 37 lbs btw, which is getting up there a bit!

My MODX7 has been my main gigging board for several years. If I'm just playing synths and organs, it is fine. (Organ is vB3m on an ipad). There is a kind of "delicate" feel to it that takes a little getting used to, like on some arpeggios you have to be very precise about how to strike the keys on your way up and down the board -- it's not very forgiving, because the keys are so light that any "slop" in your playing will immediately be revealed by the adjacent key being struck and sounding off.

Also: the keys are a tiny bit narrower than from other manufacturers (this is a Yamaha thing that goes back to at least to the DX7 afaik), and I can never tell if this is contributing to the problem or if it's all just in my head. BUT: I can more easily reach a 10th with one hand, so that's a bonus!

I have no trouble playing electric pianos on it, but I do agree with what's been said  about acoustic pianos not being very satisfying to play on the keybed. (I might try those velocity adjustments mentioned above, thanks!). If I'm playing lots of piano, I put a weighted controller underneath (Alesis QS8) and control it with MIDI, and in that case, the pianos feel and sound great to me -- very alive and a big improvement over what I had been using.

I still don't think there is a better bang-for-the-buck keyboard out there right now, though I'm not an expert on every model. The keybed is one of many compromises that allowed me to be able to afford it at all. It is a workhorse board, a great and versatile tool, and I enjoy it very much in that spirit!

• Like 1

MODX7, Alesis QS8, Hammond XK-2, DSI Tetra

QSC K8.2 x2, CPS Spacestation v.3

19 minutes ago, dbran said:

Also: the keys are a tiny bit narrower than from other manufacturers (this is a Yamaha thing that goes back to at least to the DX7 afaik), and I can never tell if this is contributing to the problem or if it's all just in my head.

Roland juno DS and A800 keys are narrow too. And I'd bet all the Fantoms,  D50 and Juno romplers too. I'm thinking it's a synth key thing by not just one mfg.

FunMachine.

Every time I pick up that 17lb wonder I am reminded of how much it is worth putting up with the keybed.

In my Classic Rock band, my rig consists of a 17lb MODX7+ and an iPad pro with B3-X and Korg Module. Talk about a lightweight rig!

• Like 5

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 hour ago, Red Ranger said:

Can anyone compare the modx7 action to that of the moxf6? I'd like to upgrade my moxf but if the action is the same I won't bother.

When I played the MODX7 next to the MOXF6, I felt that the MODX was similar but not identical. Obviously, there's the new matte finish to the black keys. But there's also something more "solid" feeling about the MODX landing. Maybe the throw is a bit shorter? It also felt to me like the feel of the key through its travel was a bit more consistent, with less of the "bump of resistance" you get toward the top of the MOXF's travel.

56 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Roland juno DS and A800 keys are narrow too. And I'd bet all the Fantoms,  D50 and Juno romplers too. I'm thinking it's a synth key thing by not just one mfg.

These Rolands are only slightly narrow. You can stack over an 88-hammer action, and it still lines up, unlike Yamahas. The deviation from "piano sized" is at least double on the Yamahas compared to what it is on the Rolands.

21 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

When I played the MODX7 next to the MOXF6, I felt that the MODX was similar but not identical. Obviously, there's the new matte finish to the black keys. But there's also something more "solid" feeling about the MODX landing. Maybe the throw is a bit shorter? It also felt to me like the feel of the key through its travel was a bit more consistent, with less of the "bump of resistance" you get toward the top of the MOXF's travel.

That's really helpful! Thanks!

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

These Rolands are only slightly narrow. You can stack over an 88-hammer action, and it still lines up, unlike Yamahas. The deviation from "piano sized" is at least double on the Yamahas compared to what it is on the Rolands.

That seems crazy to me. All the complaining I read about Roland keys and to learn Yam's are that far from standard width. It took me 6 months to not be sloppy on Rolands.

I don't think I could ever get used to the Yamahas as you describe. 

FunMachine.

4 hours ago, dbran said:

My MODX7 has been my main gigging board for several years. If I'm just playing synths and organs, it is fine. (Organ is vB3m on an ipad). There is a kind of "delicate" feel to it that takes a little getting used to, like on some arpeggios you have to be very precise about how to strike the keys on your way up and down the board -- it's not very forgiving, because the keys are so light that any "slop" in your playing will immediately be revealed by the adjacent key being struck and sounding off.

I hadn't thought of that and a great point - I thought it was just my sloppy playing (and that's probably still part of it) but I definitely experience this. Love my MODX7 overall, particularly after adding in the Purgatory Creek EPs and third party organ sounds..

5 hours ago, dbran said:

any "slop" in your playing will immediately be revealed by the adjacent key being struck and sounding off.

Yes, and that's one of the reasons that the best actions for piano are the worst for organ and vice versa... "smushing" of adjacent notes sounds great on organ and terrible on piano. So for one, you want an action that facilitates that slop, and for the other, you want one that creates an obstacle to it.

• Like 3