Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer - Shakuhachi sound for iOS?

Hi,

I am looking for a decent Shakuhachi sample to recreate Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer intro. I would like something for my iPad or iPhone to trigger from either my Yamaha CP88 or YC61.

What would you recommend?

I just grabbed the sample of the intro and triggered it in Module

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

https://music.geisheker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/enigma-SHAKUHACHI-flute.wav

Assuming there's gotta be some sort of sample/player on iOS?

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Ha ha... I can't be of help, as a sample is obviously the right tool for this job - but it was amusing to read that, because just today, I was discussing with my students how to program that shakuachi sound with synthesis, using Surge. We came to good results with a couple of slightly asymmetrical pulse waves placed an octave apart, some noise thru a keytracked bandpass for the breathing part, and *lots* of subtle modulations - like, about 25 modulations in all. It was good fun!

I'll try to post an audio sample when I can.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

https://music.geisheker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/enigma-SHAKUHACHI-flute.wav

Assuming there's gotta be some sort of sample/player on iOS?

Woah, that takes me back to my Amiga days, 8-bit samplers, and creating music in OctaMED. ;)

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I'd definitely grab the sample, I reckon no keyboardist played that in the first place.

Similarly, for the intro of Too Much Time on my Hands I also just sampled...without an Oberheim or whatever he used (maybe overdubbed) there was no way I was going to get something recognizable.   Certainly not in the 5-10 minutes before my patience ran out.   Then again I'm normally just fine with skipping trivial sound effect stuff like that.  If Sledgehammer started with the main riff I doubt anyone would complain, might actually be more impactful that way.   Just my 2c anyway!

It's not set up for iOS, though I am looking for the source file used to create this .nsmp file for use on Nord instruments. I love playing Sledgehammer! I don't believe there's a way to reverse engineer a Nord sample file, though if you had a Nord instrument you could load it and then resample it. Just an idea. If I find the source file, I will share it. Someone on this forum many years ago sent me an audio sample that may have been the origin of this.

https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage-forum-f3/sledgehammer-shakuhachi-sample-needed-for-stage-4-t25012.html?hilit=sledgehammer#p172620

EDIT: I poked around a bit more and found this post that may be of assistance for getting a wav file to load into iOS.

https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-user-samples-nsmp-nsmp3-nsmp4-files-f14/emulator-1-shakuhaki-t2655-20.html?hilit=Shakuhachi#p69422

sample the intro, or use any wood flute sound to pull it off. There should be tons available.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

56 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I'd definitely grab the sample, I reckon no keyboardist played that in the first place.

Similarly, for the intro of Too Much Time on my Hands I also just sampled...without an Oberheim or whatever he used (maybe overdubbed) there was no way I was going to get something recognizable.   Certainly not in the 5-10 minutes before my patience ran out.   Then again I'm normally just fine with skipping trivial sound effect stuff like that.  If Sledgehammer started with the main riff I doubt anyone would complain, might actually be more impactful that way.   Just my 2c anyway!

Sledgehammer's signature shakuhachi riff was definitely played live via Emulator II for the So album. I've seen it done on various Gabriel tours, and it's not simply a track. I think it defines the song, not just the intro but also during the bridge section. It's also super fun to play it!

As for the Styx song, definitely agree that's a good one to sample...if you're talking about the sound FX at the intro leading up to the synth bass line. My band had considered that one for a while and I had it all ready to go...then we decided that its expiration date was a little past due for the audiences we serve.

• Like 2

There are a couple of great stock flute sounds in the Roli NOISE app that would probably do the trick -- I'm not sure if that's still free since I have a version of it from like 2019 on my iPad that I don't update anymore. You could take a look though; the "Breath Flute" patch would be pretty close.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Years ago I had the pleasure of being allowed to sit down at a large console mixer and play around with the "Sledgehammer" 24 track multitrack master (safety copy) playing back off 2 inch tape.  Ooodles of fun and actually a very sparse track.   

3 hours ago, eric said:

Sledgehammer's signature shakuhachi riff was definitely played live via Emulator II for the So album. I've seen it done on various Gabriel tours, and it's not simply a track. I think it defines the song, not just the intro but also during the bridge section. It's also super fun to play it!

As for the Styx song, definitely agree that's a good one to sample...if you're talking about the sound FX at the intro leading up to the synth bass line. My band had considered that one for a while and I had it all ready to go...then we decided that its expiration date was a little past due for the audiences we serve.

Yes, it's a sample from the Emulator II Factory Library, I posted a link to a copy of the actual sample a bunch of posts up, right in the beginning of this thread... 

A dude on YouTube fiddling with it here:

https://youtu.be/xbguCvTq1zs

• Like 3

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

This one got me curious, I may grab a license and see what it could be used for, have an iPad Air M1 just eating space in a drawer here.. 😊

https://www.virsyn.net/mobileapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=8

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

2 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Stock sound on most Rolands. My DS has it. Get some kind of emulator app and borrow a Roland rompler and bobs your uncle.

The Roland Shakuhachi is not the Emulator sample, which has that super characteristic fifth drop and the upwards second at the beginning, and the overblowing in the middle of the sample. 

You can use it to kinda-sorta-passably fake it, but it's really just the Wrong Sound™. 

• Like 3

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

5 minutes ago, analogika said:

The Roland Shakuhachi is not the Emulator sample, which has that super characteristic fifth drop and the upwards second at the beginning, and the overblowing in the middle of the sample. 

You can use it to kinda-sorta-passably fake it, but it's really just the Wrong Sound™. 

If the synth has pitch envelope it can be emulated fairly well (ask me how I know...)

:D

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

34 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

This one got me curious, I may grab a license and see what it could be used for, have an iPad Air M1 just eating space in a drawer here.. 😊

https://www.virsyn.net/mobileapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=8

I use this - it's very full-featured for an iOS app. Probaby overkill for this particular application (a single sample that needs triggering across a range of keys).

One of of its many strengths may be the ability to read Logic sampler files and soundfont files. I've used Logic's Autosampler to get instruments not available on iOS onto my iOS devices.

• Like 2

Koala is a great sampler for iOS. Thumbjam is also versatile and supports user samples - fun to play as well.

BSi16 is a bit clunky but is good if you need to use SoundFonts.

If you want to play it live the part is dead simple but you won’t get that s little flurry at the end of the note. But use a long reverb and it should be ok for live.

1 hour ago, J.F.N. said:

Yes, it's a sample from the Emulator II Factory Library, I posted a link to a copy of the actual sample a bunch of posts up, right in the beginning of this thread... 

A dude on YouTube fiddling with it here:

https://youtu.be/xbguCvTq1zs

When I had an E-III, I had the full set of factory CD-ROMs the shakuhachi was in there and it sounded amazing.  There were a lot of incredible samples in there as well, including a haunting waterphone.

• Like 1

Did a quick hack here in AudioLayer using the sample from the link I posted in the beginning of this thread. iPad Air M1, AudioLayer (in the background Opsix which I use as midi keyboard for the iPad).

• Thanks 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Yeah, I hope OP finally got this up and running on his iPad as requested.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

That sample, among others, was created by E-mu sample ace Richard Burmer z''l. We lost him far too early; he was not only an inspired digital boffin, but a lyrical and sensitive composer. His four albums are a treasure, although I never really got into the fourth and last one (which was released on American Gramophone) as much as the others.

When programming a sample player to use this sample, remember that the overblow is not on every note. I can't remember how it was done on the EII (mod wheel?), but there was a control that added the overblow when desired; the rest of the time it played a loop much earlier in the sample until released.

The very first Creative Options column in KEYBOARD was called "Let Us Now Praise Famous Samples", in which Freff lambasted artists like Tangerine Dream for overusing samples like this one. I believe this article came out just before So..... I should ask him about his reaction to hearing that sample all over the radio, inescapably, for months...

mike

• Love 1

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music