Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High Fidelity Earplugs

I’m 65 and started back performing live with a Blues/Rock band. My hearing is already pretty bad and want to keep what I have left. I tried some cheap ones that claimed high fidelity but they are muffled which is a big problem since my hearing is already muffled. 

Anyone use earplugs??

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

I had some custom molds made with interchangeable filters from

ACS, but they don’t seem to have a US presence anymore (just UK and Taiwan). They work nicely for loud concerts and would probably do the same for high stage volumes. 

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Just my 2c, but in your shoes I'd find a quiet(er) band.  Doesn't mean quieter out front if you are using a PA, only talking stage volume.  And definitely no more loud practicing, which IMO is ludicrous.  I reckon I've done more damage practicing than gigging by far over the years.

That said, I'm in a rock band that can only be so quiet due to acoustic drums.  I'd LOVE it if our drummer had an e-kit but that's not currently in the cards.

I went with IEMs or I would have quit gigging.  I realize these aren't for everyone and it depends on the PA you are using.   I see them as a necessary compromise, I enjoy wedges more in some ways but I just can't go home with ringing ears anymore.   I want some hearing left to hear my (eventual) grandkids.  I've tried a few earplugs and they all muffled things too much for me to hear what I was singing or playing.

• Like 1

I’m having some success with Apple Air Pod Pro 2 on “Transparency” mode. They bring down the overall level without rolling off the highs like some plugs and dampen sudden peaks. They may not work as well if you are singing, because, oddly, they seem to block most of my own voice when I’m talking. 

• Like 1
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

There was a fairly elaborate thread here last year about using Air Pods Pro 2 with transparency mode spearheaded by our own @Reezekeys, one of our touring pros.  I'm too lazy to dig up the link but it was a pretty long thread.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I have customs with an attenuator filter that work quite well. I purchased them from 1964 Ears (now known as 64 Audio) when I had custom IEMs made. The attenuator filter thing really does a good job of keeping overall frequency response natural and clear, and the "throat" of the earplug (or whatever you call the part you stick in your ear hole) is nicely snug since they are sized based on the audiologist mold thing. But 64 Audio is now super expensive for everything they do, and only you can decide if you want to spend $299 (after spending whatever to get molds done at your local hearing aid shop). But I can personal vouch for these:

https://www.64audio.com/collections/earplugs/products/high-fidelity-earplug

For $199, Etymotic does a similar kind of thing. I've never owned or used an Etymotic product, but they seem to be widely liked and recommended:

https://www.etymotic.com/product/custom-musicians-earplugs-with-attenuator/

Having used a lot of things out there, but never an active solution (like AirPods Pro 2 as noted in the Reezekeys thread that Mills Dude cites), I can confirm that using my ear plugs has saved me a ton of damage. I already have some from the years of young and foolish, but I've often found myself on postage-stamp stages right next to the enthusiastic drummer's crash cymbal. And these things were lifesavers. 

Now, I don't go to the gig without them. Always better to have and not need, than... 

2 pairs for 5 bucks at Walgreens. 26db reduction.  If too much, pull them out a little bit to let more sound in. The cymbal bashing drummer is on my left, so i have that one in tight, the right one a bit looser. Been using them for years.

spacer.png

I've used Hearos for reasonable rehearsals and gigs:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos/High-Fidelity-Ear-Plugs-1273887995250.gc

I'm not sure if they'd hold up for really loud gigs, though.

More recently, I've used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019M576XW
They've held up well as an audience member at pretty loud blues and rock shows, but I haven't gigged with them.

10 minutes ago, Leroy C said:

I've used Hearos for reasonable rehearsals and gigs:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos/High-Fidelity-Ear-Plugs-1273887995250.gc

I'm not sure if they'd hold up for really loud gigs, though.

More recently, I've used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019M576XW
They've held up well as an audience member at pretty loud blues and rock shows, but I haven't gigged with them.

I also used Hearos.  They cut the sound but i found them to muffle the sound although they claim they dont muffle the sound, but they do.  I fought them for two years and finally trashed them.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

14 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I also used Hearos.  They cut the sound but i found them to muffle the sound although they claim they dont muffle the sound, but they do.  I fought them for two years and finally trashed them.

Yeah, they're certainly better than generic earplugs, but they still cut some high end.

I use custom molded earplugs with the Etymotic filters, and they're pretty amazing. When I first put them in, I wondered if they were doing anything because everything sounded so good. I pulled them out and went, "yep, they're definitely doing something! Ouch!" and put them back in.

I was with a band before the pandemic that rehearsed so loud that the drummer needed to mic his kit so we could hear him, and only full foam Home Depot type earplugs properly inserted satisfactorily cut the level down. That was ridiculous. We were rehearsing in the bassist's living room. I'm glad to not be a part of that anymore.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have a pair of the Etymotics. Not cheap, but neither are my eardrums!  

I had an audiologist make the molds, and got them made with a couple of pair of the interchangeable baffles/inserts - one with 15 db attenuation, one with 25db. I also got a pair of solid inserts for near total quiet. (Great for sleeping). I used to use the Etymotics with a very loud band - now in a quiter band I use IEMs, and the Eytmotics at loud concerts. 

If you do go for any kind of custom fit or tightly fitted earplugs, I highly recommend getting a small bottle of OtoEase.  A drop or two on each plug makes them much more comfortable to wear. . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mills Dude said:

There was a fairly elaborate thread here last year about using Air Pods Pro 2 with transparency mode spearheaded by our own @Reezekeys, one of our touring pros.  I'm too lazy to dig up the link but it was a pretty long thread.

Interesting!

I seen that when I searched but didn’t understand it was for earplugs, thought it was for in ear monitors. 

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

14 hours ago, Coker said:

I’m having some success with Apple Air Pod Pro 2 on “Transparency” mode. They bring down the overall level without rolling off the highs like some plugs and dampen sudden peaks. They may not work as well if you are singing, because, oddly, they seem to block most of my own voice when I’m talking. 

Awesome!

I am about as technically ignorant as they come. After reading I think I kinda understand how they work. 

They each have their own built in mic and work without my phone?

Just use my phone to adjust settings?

When I'm not using in-ears, I have a set of Westone custom molded earplugs with exchangeable 15dB and 20dB filters. They're one of the best purchases I've ever made ($200 I think? They've made some changes to their line in the past couple of years) and they're invaluable for rehearsals, attending concerts, and small gigs without a full PA/sound engineer. 

https://westone.com/defendear/defendear-recreational

I lost a set once at a show I went to out of town. That was a bummer, but I replaced them immediately. I spend so much of my time with my head five feet from crash cymbals, and I credit the musician plugs with keeping my hearing as good as it's been.

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

4 hours ago, MRkeys said:

Awesome!

I am about as technically ignorant as they come. After reading I think I kinda understand how they work. 

They each have their own built in mic and work without my phone?

Just use my phone to adjust settings?

That is correct

• Like 1
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Man I'm really scared of custom anything after my really bad experience with custom molded Iems.   They must have messed something up because I can't sing with them in.  My voice blocks everything out when I do.  Plus they are really bulky (triple driver) and not very comfortable.

I may look look into some better-quality earplugs though seeing these responses.  I still do some gigs where I really have no choice--or it's simply quicker and easier--to use a wedge.  These are gigs where we don't supply the PA and time is sometimes tight on those.   Heck if they are really that good I wouldn't mind going back to a wedge even with our PA at certain gigs--I do miss the air and energy.   Dang I'd miss stereo in-ears though!  If I was using one wedge all the time I might get a second :)     One problem with a wedge is:  where does it go?  In front is an issue with keyboards blocking though with my current stand I can kind of get away with putting it under the stand but the keyboard can still block it if I lean even a little forward.  I really dislike my monitor hitting me in only one ear.   Behind can mean feedback as I sing.   Maybe up on a stand sorta in front of me but on some stages we wouldn't have room.  Lots of first world problems!

My bandmates and I are all over 50 and waiting to "save what we have" as others have mentioned.  We've been really pleased with the Eargasm line of high-fidelity earplugs sold on Amazon.  They've very comfortable and do let the highs and full spectrum of sound come through -- without the volume, of course.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

On 3/10/2024 at 2:12 PM, Stokely said:

Just my 2c, but in your shoes I'd find a quiet(er) band.  Doesn't mean quieter out front if you are using a PA, only talking stage volume.  And definitely no more loud practicing, which IMO is ludicrous.  I reckon I've done more damage practicing than gigging by far over the years.

That said, I'm in a rock band that can only be so quiet due to acoustic drums.  I'd LOVE it if our drummer had an e-kit but that's not currently in the cards.

I went with IEMs or I would have quit gigging.  I realize these aren't for everyone and it depends on the PA you are using.   I see them as a necessary compromise, I enjoy wedges more in some ways but I just can't go home with ringing ears anymore.   I want some hearing left to hear my (eventual) grandkids.  I've tried a few earplugs and they all muffled things too much for me to hear what I was singing or playing.

Fortunately they are pretty reasonable. The most light handed drummer I have encountered. Problem is we are all high energy on stage (for 50+ old men) and hard to keep the drive from escalating. 

I have tried in ears in the past and don’t like the disconnect. >$50 fidelity ear plugs muffle WAY too much. 

just saying... before you drop the ca$h on customs, do yourself a favor and try the 2 pairs for $5 buckers at walgreens/cvs posted above.  If they don't work out you can use them in the pool. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stokely said:

Man I'm really scared of custom anything after my really bad experience with custom molded Iems.   They must have messed something up because I can't sing with them in.  My voice blocks everything out when I do.  Plus they are really bulky (triple driver) and not very comfortable.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Certainly, a downside of singing with earplugs in is that your voice resonating in your own head is MUCH louder (not entirely a downside depending on the monitoring in the room, but certainly I've had the experience where my voice with plugs in is too loud to be certain of my intonation). My personal experience with custom molds, both earplugs and my IEMs (more specifically custom molded sleeves for my off-the-rack Shure 215s), has been incredibly positive. I have tiny little ear canals and universal fit products NEVER stay in consistently. I'm no longer getting distracted trying to shove them back into my ears while I'm playing.

So, as another forumite said, worth trying some of the cheap solutions and see if they work for you before you spend more money on something that's been unsatisfactory! But I suppose it is possible that there was some sort of manufacturing/molding issue your first go-round.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I read afterward they are supposed to have you open/flex your jaw to prevent the pressurized thing...I don't remember them doing this.

Even if I could sing with them, I don't like them.  Very large and bulky and not comfortable.  My ie 400 pros are super small and light and I barely notice them.

Anyway, I've been pretty happy with the universals I've used so lesson learned.   We don't have loud stage sound anymore and I get plenty of isolation (to the point where we've started using an overhead so that we can all hear drums, even being within 10 feet I can't hear the hat.)  The bad part is that you obviously can't sell customs!

Back when I first started playing loud music 15-20 nights a month, well before my blessed era of IEMs, I was using wax swimmer earplugs to protect my hearing for many years. This seemed to have been a great solution, with the tradeoff being not having the world's highest fidelity filtering, LOL.

In more recent years, I'm 100% IEMs and cannot think of another better gear investment ever. I have custom molded Ultimate Ears (several different sets) and they make my live shows 1000% better.

For hearing protection when I go to shows, I use custom molded Ultimate Ears Microsonic earplugs and they work amazing. They retail at $199 though I recall paying less and also getting two sets with my order (which was a surprise to me). So I have one set in my live rig briefcase to have available for shows with other bands and I keep the other set right next to my wallet and keys on my dresser, as a reminder to bring them to any kind of live music event that I attend. So much better than those wax earplugs!

On 3/10/2024 at 2:10 PM, Chris Link said:

I had some custom molds made with interchangeable filters from

ACS, but they don’t seem to have a US presence anymore (just UK and Taiwan). They work nicely for loud concerts and would probably do the same for high stage volumes. 

I also have used ACS custom filtered plugs for years. They advertise to musicians, but I’m not sure if that means their filtered plugs are different from any other you can get from a random audiologist. I just lost my pair and got refitted at the company that took over for ACS called 1of1Custom. They’ve got a lot of locations where you can get the molding done for free. The molded plugs with filters are the only plugs I’ve found I will actually wear at shows. 

https://1of1custom.com/pages/book-an-appointment

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

2 hours ago, Noah DC said:

I also have used ACS custom filtered plugs for years. They advertise to musicians, but I’m not sure if that means their filtered plugs are different from any other you can get from a random audiologist. I just lost my pair and got refitted at the company that took over for ACS called 1of1Custom. They’ve got a lot of locations where you can get the molding done for free. The molded plugs with filters are the only plugs I’ve found I will actually wear at shows. 

2 hours ago, Noah DC said:

That's great to hear!

Unintentional puns are the best kind.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I swear by the Etymotic Research ETY Plugs - I've used these guys for the past three years and, so long as you wash them and keep them clear from earwax blockages, I don't notice too much high-end cutoff. I have also used the Hearos plugs previously mentioned here, and don't find them to be quite as good as the ETY Plugs. You should be able to get around a year out of a pair if you take good care of them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EarPlugPro--etymotic-research-ety-plugs-high-fidelity-earplugs-large-fit

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Any earplugs need a parametric EQ to compensate.  Otherwise you’re adding a pillow on top of your already pillowed ear’s frequency response.    Bob Heil taught us all about this  in the 70s after studying the work of Bell Labs frequency compensation.   It’s so fascinating that prior to this professional audio had no concept of equalization — only volume. 

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2024 at 8:14 AM, jazzpiano88 said:

Any earplugs need a parametric EQ to compensate.  Otherwise you’re adding a pillow on top of your already pillowed ear’s frequency response.    Bob Heil taught us all about this  in the 70s after studying the work of Bell Labs frequency compensation.   It’s so fascinating that prior to this professional audio had no concept of equalization — only volume. 

Just reviewing this thread because I want a better pair of earplugs after last night's rehearsal. I quoted @jazzpiano88 because the above is a killer app for noise-cancelling headphones, which (with the appropriate signal processing/EQ) could cancel the low frequencies more than the high to preserve a consistent frequency response. I'd love to see a "concert mode" on Apple Airpods Pro, or similar from Bose, Sony etc.

Cheers, Mike.