Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clavinet part to Eagles Life in the fast lane

I used to have the isolated track. Can’t find it anymore. The clav is transformative to the song yet difficult to hear In the mastered track. Anyone have a lead on either the isolated track or a transcription?

• Like 2

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I was today years old when I found out there was a clav part in this song. Thought it was all guitar

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

2 hours ago, The Real MC said:

"The transfer you have requested has been deleted"

Same here. I would similarly appreciate any insight into what's being played.

Cheers, Mike.

43 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

I was today years old when I found out there was a clav part in this song. Thought it was all guitar

And of course now you know, it's obvious and you can't unhear it.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

One reason you won't find much Eagles stuff on YouTube is that they are super-obsessive about copyright - one of the artists (or their label anyway) that will hit you with a copyright strike at drop of a hat.

• Like 2

Glenn Frey played the Clavinet on Life In The Fast Lane. I had the 45 (don't anymore) and I also have Hotel California on both LP and CD and I can hear the clavinet very much on that song.

A lot of keyboards were used very heavily in The Eagles, not as much as guitar but still a prominent part. Joe Walsh played the Fender Rhodes and Hammond organ on New Kid In Town, and the track Pretty Maids All In A Row also features some synthesiser work on the ARP String Ensemble.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nursers said:

One reason you won't find much Eagles stuff on YouTube is that they are super-obsessive about copyright - one of the artists (or their label anyway) that will hit you with a copyright strike at drop of a hat.

Henley is apparently the driving force behind this. Some guy had the vocal harmonies to a bunch of their hits (and some Beach Boys as well) broken out. Now this is something that was never available in any published form and he wasn't selling them. But Eagles, Inc. shut him down years ago.

• Like 1

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

19 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I always look on the wayback machine.   All of it is there.  One ex.   https://archive.org/details/20201117_20201117_0651

Stems are probably also archived but I haven't gone looking.

Wow! Some very fine, lesser known gems on that site. I’ve never heard Journey Of The Sorcerer before. My new favorite Eagles tune. Wow again!

5 hours ago, Chris Link said:

Henley is apparently the driving force behind this. Some guy had the vocal harmonies to a bunch of their hits (and some Beach Boys as well) broken out. Now this is something that was never available in any published form and he wasn't selling them. But Eagles, Inc. shut him down years ago.

Exactly - very short-sighted :(

11 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Wow! Some very fine, lesser known gems on that site. I’ve never heard Journey Of The Sorcerer before. My new favorite Eagles tune. Wow again!

That was the theme song for the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series produced from 1978 to 1980.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

That was the theme song for the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series produced from 1978 to 1980.

Well then, I must have heard it before and never knew it was Eagles…ha!

6 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I was fortunate enough to visit BBC studios and meet Radiophonicist Roger Limb. My best friend at school came from an acting family, and had connections...

Cheers, Mike.

You guys rock thanks so much for the help.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

On 2/23/2024 at 2:39 AM, stoken6 said:

Deleted again. I think that file host (file.io) is unhappy about something. Appreciate your efforts!

Cheers, Mike

That's really weird. Anyone still interested, just msg me with a burner email address and I'll send it to you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 3:52 PM, AROIOS said:

That's really weird. Anyone still interested, just msg me with a burner email address and I'll send it to you.

If you could send it to me that would be great. Burner email: burnerrandy317@gmail.com 

• Haha 1

I am currently working on this for one of my bands. After checking out some live versions it seems to me the most important thing is to have two guitars. If the band already had two guitars I would do the Clav part but we don't so I am going to play second guitar. The main riff is at times played in octaves and there are significant chordal guitar parts underpinning lines especially in the middle section. I know not every keyboard player doubles on guitar but this seems like the best way for me. I checked out some live versions by people who were on the original recording and they sometimes have two guitars as well as keys. Joe Walsh does a version with one guitar and it sounds like the keys doubling bass take the guitar melodic line while Joe plays chords in the middle section. The first one here has Don Felder with second guitar and keys while the second is Joe Walsh on guitar with horns and keys. The third is Joe with Ringo with all parts more than covered. The last video is Joe with second guitar trading lead occasionally.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

On 2/23/2024 at 3:23 PM, Chris Link said:

Henley is a true talent, especially vocally. But he's not a guy I would ever want to have a beer with.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I don't own any Eagles recordings, but when I play this.  https://archive.org/details/20201117_20201117_0651/1972+-+Eagles/01+-+Take+It+Easy.mp3

My God it takes me back to when I was like, 14, playing the greatest hits album in my friend's bedroom and just being a magical listening experience.  We'd play it over and over. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3