Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Country Finger

Am I the only one who gets a sore right index finger after every country gig? Did Floyd Cramer have a big callus there?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

1 minute ago, WesG said:

Am I the only one who gets a sore right index finger after every country gig? Did Floyd Cramer have a big callus there?

I used to get sore callus-y hands after playing country gigs, because we also did lots of 50's/rockabilly/Jerry Lee Lewis country adjacent stuff, and a lot of fast uptempo country has that vibe too. Lots of keyboard sweeps on 88 weighted keys with sharp edges. Right index finger for the sweep down the keyboard would scrape along. That's my thinking for your dilemma.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I don’t.  I’ve done it forever. Dad was a classic Country performer.  It’s the genre I was raised in.   I’ve sometimes hurt the cuticles on my right thumb and fingers if I am not careful on glissandos.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

5 hours ago, CEB said:

I don’t.  I’ve done it forever. Dad was a classic Country performer.  It’s the genre I was raised in.   I some hurt the cuticle on my right thumb and fingers if I am not careful on glissandos.  

Oof, I feel that. A lifetime of finger picking (the skin kind, not the banjo kind) has weakened me.

Any tips on building cuticle resilience? 😅

4 hours ago, WesG said:

If I'm not mistaken, you're a B3 guy?   But since you mentioned my namesake (🙂), Floyd Cramer, I'm assuming you're talking about a piano gig?   Are you saying the sore right index finger comes from downward glisses?  If I'm right about the B3 thing, could it be that you're playing glisses on the piano the same way you play 'em on the B3, and it's not working out so well on the piano?   I'm just guessing here - what's your theory re your sore finger?

1 hour ago, drawback said:

I don’t get what would be different about playing country piano as opposed to any other style of pop music.  :idk:

My guess would be honky tonk tremolos and aggressive use of glissandos but these aren’t necessarily Country specific but are found quite a bit in the upbeat stuff I do. 

I’m probably the outlier, but I gliss with my nails. Thumbnail on the way down, fingernails on the way up. The only way I get those skin splits beside the thumbnail or index/third fingers are from glancing off sticky keys and my skin pulls apart. During the summer months, I “tape up,” and I’ve taught myself to play a lot more delicately.

• Like 3

Here for the gear.

I do this. ( the nails not the the tape).   Open air summer gigs I use talc/baby powder. 

Fingernails have been my issue lately, more than they used to be.   I need to start cutting them as short as possible before shows, because I keep splitting them (which hurts like hell).   Not splitting down the middle toward my finger, I get a crescent along the front that breaks off.    I likely don't get enough calcium, but shorter is better anyway (and left hand needs to be short for guitar now that I'm working on that again!)

On 2/12/2024 at 1:17 PM, drawback said:

I don’t get what would be different about playing country piano as opposed to any other style of pop music.  

Me neither. I've been playing Floyd Cramerisms forever and I can't remember ever feeling any discomfort whatsoever when doing so. I hope the OP will follow up and explain what hurts on his forefinger and what he thinks the cause is.

• Like 2

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain