Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Songs Did You Add For Your Valentines Show?

I imagine a lot of us are doing one. We're always trying to up our game and play to our audience. Typically we're a classic pop/rock kind of act with a slight leaning towards country rock which mostly works for us in the area we're at now although it's a smaller area than I'm used to and thusly the gigs are less frequent. We'll be doing our gig at the Elks Lodge.

I was primarily keyboards in the last serious band I was in but with my own group my wife is doing most of the keys while I play guitar.

Our drummer suggested Stevie Wonder - You Are the Sunshine of My Life. This was the biggest challenge, wow, with the jazzy chords and key changes. It took her a while to get it under her fingers and I spent a lot of time with the sheet music coming up with some comp chords I could actually make my fingers switch between!

It popped into my head to do Elvis - I Can't Help Falling In Love With You, it fits my voice well, easy chords/accompaniment and I expect this one will work well. We resurrected EC - Wonderful Tonight, that used to be in regular rotation with bands years ago and falls together fast. I'll switch to keys for Chicago - Color My World so my wife can play the flute solo. Country is a huge thing around here and in order to survive we've needed to incorporate a little. Johnny and June - Jackson has already been in rotation for a while and goes over great as a duet with my wife and, new for us, we're adding Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire which I plan to roll into a medley going forward.

At a Valentine show a couple years back when my wife and I were just playing as a duo we did G n' R - Used To Love Her as a bit of a lark and it was fun but I'm leaving that out, I don't think it will work with this audience and even our drummer and bass player weren't familiar with it.

Otherwise I cherry picked through our normal sets and tried to find the stuff I think will work best for this gig.

How about you, doing anything special or different?

• Like 1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize there were gigs that catered to the Hallmark holiday.😁

Here's a song...

Bobby Womack--If You Think You're Lonely Now (Wait Until Tonight)

I've got plenty more suggestions.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If you are into John and June and already doing Jackson, you might think about adding Daddy Sang Bass, Long-Legged Guitar-Pickin' Man, and one of my favs Far Side Banks of Jordan.

For the soul crowd: Let's Stay Together;

For the oldies crowd: Unforgettable; Wake Up Little Suzie

For pop-cover bands: Just the Way You Are; How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You; Can't Take My Eyes Off of You

For the jazz crowd: My Funny Valentine

Not doing a Valentine's show this year but for years my duo has done Fiona Apple's "Valentine", which starts:

You didn't see my valentine
I sent it via pantomime
While you were watchin' someone else
I stared at you and cut myself

I'm guessing that's NOT what most people want on a V-day date  😏

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Slowies: Ribbon in the Sky, Have I Told You Lately

Mid-tempo: Rock With You

Uptempo: Never Too Much

Knowingly ironic: Love The One You're With

Ironic, but goes way over people's heads: Young Hearts Run Free

We did It Should Have Been Me at a friend's wedding some years ago...

Cheers, Mike.

I know you said you're working an Elks lodge, but if you want to do at least something from the last 25 years I'd suggest working up Rascal Flatt's Bless The Broken Road. They probably know it, it has a prominent piano part, and everyone of all ages dances when I've played it. It's something you'll keep beyond your gig next Wednesday.