Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stephen Stills Hammond Skills

Always thought that Stills was an under appreciated Hammond player. Along with his famous solo on Love the One You’re With, he played Hammond on most of the CSN albums. “Questions” has always been a favorite…

Here is one of my favorite live video performances from many decades ago, from the Tom Jones Show. 

https://fb.watch/q2a2aH9dkV/?mibextid=v7YzmG

• Like 7
  • Love 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

2 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Always thought that Stills was an under appreciated Hammond player. Aling with bis famous solo on Love the One You’re With, he pkayed Hammond on mist of the CSU albums. “Questions” has always been a favorite…

Here is one of my favorite live video performances from many decades ago on the Tom Jones Show. 

https://fb.watch/q2a2aH9dkV/?mibextid=v7YzmG

I really enjoy Stills's Hammond playing on Wooden Ships (though when I've covered it in the past I've based my performance just as much on Mike Finnigan's approach). He also played some killer bass on tracks like Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. An incredibly talented singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist.

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Stephen Stills has always been known for his guitar playing than his keyboard playing and singing, but he is a pretty good keyboard player. I’m pretty sure that he used a Yamaha CP30 electronic keyboard on some of the Daylight Again album.

6 hours ago, Doerfler said:

has been one of my fav CSN tracks forever :2thu:

"Wooden Ships" (below).

From an old Irish proverb:

“There are good ships and wood ships, ships that sail the sea; but the best ships are friendships, and may they always be,”

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

so much awesomeness going on here!  You have to be confident getting on stage with Tom Jones as he proceeds to kick his usual ass!  Stephen says ‘no Tom, I’m gonna scream here!’.  Pan over to Neil, the grim reaper, don’t piss him off!  And the 15 year old bass player?  Great vid, thanks OP for posting

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Speaking of Stephen Stills, I saw him at the Santa Barbara country bowl, way back when, maybe late 70s?  I think Finnegan was playing keys.  

I always remember a section where they were jamming out, and Finnegan plays a chord, can’t recall which hand - - but with his free hand he moves some kind of a slider switch up and down, and the entire chord changes key multiple times, i.e. up a half step, up a couple of steps, back down - - all super fast and in time - was really cool.  

Does anyone remember a trick like this?  No idea the keyboard, but believe it was some kind of synth, maybe the big Yamaha CS?  I’m sure this could be replicated now programming a slider or knob.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I did not know it was Stills playing the organ on Long Time Gone, a song I would pick as one of the three nicest rock songs supported by organ. Generally I have to listen carefully to find the good Stills vocals. Of the three and four his voice was not the greatest and not the one providing their signature sound. It has surprised me how good he fit into the early material. In a way his is the canvas and the other’s is the paint. A good canvas is important too. I have read accounts of how suited for one another CS&Y were when they first sang together. The electric guitar playing in CS&N and CSN&Y was indistinguishable between Stills, Crosby and Young but Neil was superior on acoustic because of his unique muted strum style. Stills has been a heavy duty coke user and never taken care of his health, especially his vocal health. He is in Keith Richards territory.

• Like 1

Steven Stills Mannasas elbum has somehow resonated with me, particulary on country drives, since the day it was released.  Not my country, and Johnny's garden is not my life experience. But nonetheless music that transports you to another place.  The most underrated creative influence in CSN. Makes Wooden ships look like dross.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

2 hours ago, Markay said:

Steven Stills Mannasas elbum has somehow resonated with me, particulary on country drives, since the day it was released.  Not my country, and Johnny's garden is not my life experience. But nonetheless music that transports you to another place.  The most underrated creative influence in CSN. Makes Wooden ships look like dross.

I totally agree. Always thought that Manassas was  an excellent album. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

He just sounds good. The right voicings and right registrations for the song.  I always thought the same of Al Kooper. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt