Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NI Electric Keys - Tines Duo (by Galaxy Instruments)

Last thing I need right now is another Rhodes piano choice  Not saying I won't like it, but for US $150 it's going to have to wait quite a while, if ever.

Maybe NI feel that the Scarbee offerings are "long in the tooth"?

The sparkletop suitcase is a new offering, however, for those who might want that particular sound. 

:nopity:

29 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Maybe NI feel that the Scarbee offerings are "long in the tooth"?

I'd say that's exactly what's happening. They were already pretty old when NI re-released them (I had the Halion versions back in the day), but they are still some of my favorites, especially for live gigs.

$149 not horrible depending on if they are very playable and offer something we don’t already have.  I’ve been wanting to grab the Famous E from Orange Tree but I wait for sale, $179 is just a tad hot for the one instrument.  The Canterbury is $149. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

36 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

$149 not horrible depending on if they are very playable and offer something we don’t already have.  I’ve been wanting to grab the Famous E from Orange Tree but I wait for sale, $179 is just a tad hot for the one instrument.  The Canterbury is $149. 

I will probably be a bit more excited for the inevitable Wurly set.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davinwv said:

I’d like to see a detailed CP70/80 as well.  I have the Waves.  It’s just OK. There’s one on Gospel Musicians sample set as well.  Not sure how that one is.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, davinwv said:

I want a 20GB Wurlitzer 200VST, similar to what RhodesMusic offers for tine based EP 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
:nopity:

46 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

I want a 20GB Wurlitzer 200VST, similar to what RhodesMusic offers for tine based EP 

Maybe this new hardware Wurly will give rise to something like that - mirroring what Rhodes did.

Both Canterbury and EP-88s tend to go on sale at 50% off--or at least they have in the past-- this might as well being NI.  I ended up getting EP-88s as it was a fair bit cheaper during its sale than Canterbury, but I really like what I heard from these two.

I finally received an email alert from NI regarding this new release, with a link to an audio demo, and it sounds dreadful to me:

https://blog.native-instruments.com/chillstep/?lid=brnc6vhz873k&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=Blog content en | producers | 04/02/24&utm_id=8775c9a9-98bb-4c61-8aec-31666d4d8740

I've never heard of "chillstep" so maybe I'm just not a fan of that genre(?), but the library sounds aggressive, harsh, and super-bright to my ears.

Oh, I finally got the demos to play at the link in the initial post (didn't work for me previously), and they have similar sharp-edged characteristics.

The walkthrough posted by drawback has a few more tolerable segments, but overall I think Scarbee 88 slaughters this library on all counts.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 1/30/2024 at 9:46 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

Indeed, that Famous E is really something. 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:44 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

I’d like to see a detailed CP70/80 as well.  I have the Waves.  It’s just OK. There’s one on Gospel Musicians sample set as well.  Not sure how that one is.  

Arturia has a new CP70 V, pretty pretty good. 

56 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I’d like to see a detailed CP70/80 as well.

Pianoteq has a nice one too.  It's buried in the free pack.  https://www.modartt.com/cp-80

As to tines duo based on audio demos -  nonplussed. I get they wanted to find a different niche, but I'll stick with Famous E or Scarbee Classic 88s.

• Like 3

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

As a Rhodes pianist, I'm not remotely interested in the latest software or hardware emulations.

I know that I'm old man but geez...20 years ago I would have at least test driven it.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Again, that weird "plasticcy" sound all these seem to go for these days. Why isn't anybody doing that smooth, buttery "Butterfly" Herbie sound?!

My go-to virtual Rhodes is still good ole Purgatory Creek Mark V. The "E" model in Keyscape is also very nice, too.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 3:02 AM, tapes said:

Why isn't anybody doing that smooth, buttery "Butterfly" Herbie sound?!

IMO the original Scarbee rhodes was very close to that "Butterfly" sound.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:02 AM, tapes said:

The "E" model in Keyscape is also very nice, too.

I believe that's the Eddie Reynolds-modified Rhodes that's also sampled for the "Famous E" from Orange Tree. More bell than the Scarbee. I have the Famous E and the Scarbee, so no need  for any other Rhodes. I wish the Scarbee rhodes in Korg's Module had one extra layer of bark - I definitely feel its lack.